Digital SLR image VS 35mm Film SLR scanning image!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yanyewkay said:
:think: anyway to convert digital images to negatives to future proof my pics as well?

imagine family portraits taken digitally now. and you want to show your grandchildren.. but wait jpegs and PCs don't exists anymore by then. all taken over by some new formats and language and OS.. now what....:dunno

The technology is out there, just not for normal usage. I went for a site tour to a pro-print lab in melbourne, they use a digitally generated negative to produce huge photographic enlargements, largest they do is 1.8mx8m. Saw the 8x10 negative... Wow. ;p

I think there is service to make digital file as a slide too.

I read about a website that about the film resolution vs digital blah blah.. and he tried to send a digital file to convert back to slide for comparison >_<

foxtwo said:
The technology is out there, just not for normal usage. I went for a site tour to a pro-print lab in melbourne, they use a digitally generated negative to produce huge photographic enlargements, largest they do is 1.8mx8m. Saw the 8x10 negative... Wow. ;p
You get to see that in theatres all the time nowadays. Most movies are now shot on film then edited digitally and transferred back to film again to show on the big screens. :)

yanyewkay said:
:think: anyway to convert digital images to negatives to future proof my pics as well?

imagine family portraits taken digitally now. and you want to show your grandchildren.. but wait jpegs and PCs don't exists anymore by then. all taken over by some new formats and language and OS.. now what....:dunno
I'd prefer to store it digitally. After some time, the colour of film fades and there is no way to recover. For digital, all I need to do is make enough copies. There may be new formats to replace JPGs and PCs but before one is phased out, you can convert everything to the new format without losing anything.

So digital resolution vs film is irrelevant and should be ignored unless you are a techno geek. Just make the print directly, why do u need hi-res image? Ans: make print. However, some people like to compare using scanner to scan film into 20MP or so to compare the quality to a image captured with a digicam. Why compare them?? It is like claiming to convert a hi-res image into film and compare with picture captured on film. Well, just make print from the hi-res image then. I think the comparison probably will be relevent to whether the scanner produce good result or whether the image to film converting is good. Nothing to do with the original source at all.

Usually when I heard film is equal to 20MP or 36MP or digial in future will have higher resolution then film I just walk away with a smile ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.