Digital Basic Photography by the Photographic Society of Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
tamade said:
Great! Thanks for your help! Actually I'd some photos taken during my last trip in May & June-July, so I thought maybe can meet the 31st August deadline. :)

There is some criteria for submission. For LPSS, it must showcase the different techniques and subject matters.

Eg.
Water in Motion
Sports
Nature
Portraiture
Human in Motion
Landscape
Macro

For APSS, it is more difficult as there is a theme and flow
For FPSS, it is even more difficult.

Do take up the Digital Basic Photography course. The instructors will brief you on that.

Francis247 said:
There is some criteria for submission. For LPSS, it must showcase the different techniques and subject matters.

Eg.
Water in Motion
Sports
Nature
Portraiture
Human in Motion
Landscape
Macro

I suppose my recent shots do fall under the categories of nature, portrait, sports & landscape. I would be taking the course, but was thinking rather than submitting in Dec, why not submit whatever I have now to see if they make the mark. If they don't then after the course will try again. :)

tamade said:
I suppose my recent shots do fall under the categories of nature, portrait, sports & landscape. I would be taking the course, but was thinking rather than submitting in Dec, why not submit whatever I have now to see if they make the mark. If they don't then after the course will try again. :)

Hi there,

I have clarify with one of the instructors. The Prints format is Super 8R format for submission. As for the the LPSS submission, besides 10 Prints, you also need to pay an application fee of $30 for the processing.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

I have clarify with one of the instructors. The Prints format is Super 8R format for submission. As for the the LPSS submission, besides 10 Prints, you also need to pay an application fee of $30 for the processing.

Thanks! What do they meant by mounting the photos?

tamade said:
Thanks! What do they meant by mounting the photos?

Mounting the photos is to have it on a piece of black cardboard mount for each photo. The format of the photos need to have a white border around it also.

Francis247 said:
Mounting the photos is to have it on a piece of black cardboard mount for each photo. The format of the photos need to have a white border around it also.

I should be able to get this done at any decent photos developing shops right? I presume no PS is to be done on the photos right? Can I crop the photos? Add a signature to it?

tamade said:
I should be able to get this done at any decent photos developing shops right? I presume no PS is to be done on the photos right? Can I crop the photos? Add a signature to it?

Hi there,

You can get the Black Cardboard Mounting from PSS itself. You can do some PS on the photo as long as you don't distort the reality and intent of the picture. You can do a crop too, but the size for submission is in S8R. No signature needed for the print as the application form will contain the the applicant details. Hope that helps.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

You can get the Black Cardboard Mounting from PSS itself. You can do some PS on the photo as long as you don't distort the reality and intent of the picture. You can do a crop too, but the size for submission is in S8R. No signature needed for the print as the application form will contain the the applicant details. Hope that helps.

Hi Francis,

Thanks for clearing up all my doubts. :D

I'm thinking of submitting this as one of the 10 entries. What do you think?

tamade said:
Hi Francis,

Thanks for clearing up all my doubts. :D

I'm thinking of submitting this as one of the 10 entries. What do you think?

Interesting landscape, maybe you can do a crop of 8" x 12" and have more sky as the cloud format is interesting. Just my 2 cent worth.

Here is my suggestion to you for you to consider. Try to get
1) Interesting Night Shot techniques like this
2) Water in motion
3) Panning
4) Back-lighting
5) Framing
6) Reflection
7) Street and Portrait
8) Landscape as in your picture with some Photoshop

Francis247 said:
Interesting landscape, maybe you can do a crop of 8" x 12" and have more sky as the cloud format is interesting. Just my 2 cent worth.

Here is my suggestion to you for you to consider. Try to get
1) Interesting Night Shot techniques like this
2) Water in motion
3) Panning
4) Back-lighting
5) Framing
6) Reflection
7) Street and Portrait
8) Landscape as in your picture with some Photoshop

Yep, I like the sky a lot too. #2-#7, I don't have any shots on them, never did try taking photos of this genre. Most of my shots are #1 & #8.

What do you think of this?

tamade said:
Yep, I like the sky a lot too. #2-#7, I don't have any shots on them, never did try taking photos of this genre. Most of my shots are #1 & #8.

For this shot, I prefer a tighter crop, also it might be better if you take it at a lower angle and try to apply the depth of field to isolate the the ducks at the background. Just my POV.

Yes, I have attended the Basic Digital Photography and the Art of Seeing Course and have benefited from their tutorial. Recently received my LPSS too.:)

tamade said:

too many empty space and no harmony in the context .. :)

Francis247 said:
For this shot, I prefer a tighter crop, also it might be better if you take it at a lower angle and try to apply the depth of field to isolate the the ducks at the background. Just my POV.

Haven't really try out depth of field before. In fact, it's only after my canon free training then I heard of this term, which was after I took the photo. Would give it a shot next time. Thanks.

KNIGHT ONG said:
too many empty space and no harmony in the context .. :)

Yah, without cropping, the empty space is quite a lot. By harmony, do you mean that the ducks aren't synchronized in doing something similar? :think:

What about the 2nd photo then?

What's LPSS?..... is it sometime very important?

As explained by Francis, LPSS stands for Licentiate member of the Photographic Society of Singapore, APSS (Associate member) and FPSS (Fellow member) - of more prestige would be LRPS, (Licentiate member of the Royal Photographic Society of UK) ARPS, FRPS.
These are actually like qualification that you can put below your name in your name card if you so wish.
So, if you attend the PSS Basic Photography and Art of Seeing courses, you are eligible to submit your photos for LPSS approval and, if the panel of judges approve your submission, you'll receive a certificate stating that you can use the LPSS title if you so wish.

Cecil said:
So, if you attend the PSS Basic Photography and Art of Seeing courses, you are eligible to submit your photos for LPSS approval and, if the panel of judges approve your submission, you'll receive a certificate stating that you can use the LPSS title if you so wish.

I thought so long as you're members of PSS, you're eligible to submit your photos already?

tamade said:
I thought so long as you're members of PSS, you're eligible to submit your photos already?
Yes you are right, I've just check with PSS, there're thousands and thousands of LPSS in Singapore..... hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.