Desire to own a Leica

I do not know who you are referring to but I do know that there are a few Parallel Importers selling Leica products in SG and more in HK.
I know for fact that Leica offers 2 years international warranty, so whoever or where ever you purchase will be covered by the same warranty. registeration for warrenty is online and all you'll need is serial number. Make sure the 'TAN' number is provided as it will allow you to download 2 free copies of LR5.

Brand new M240 Black or Silver is going for HK$ 56,800 from PIs in HK.

I started with the M8 and worked my way through to an M9P, maybe a M240 or monochrome in the future but for now im satisfied, i understand the "desire to own a leica" and i suggest you start from the best camera you can afford/willing to spend and move up from there :)

Nonetheless, the desire to own a Leica is not by trying to sell own camera at above market prices and low balling Leica stuff at ridiculous prices such as WTB Leica M9 (offering $3000) and leica lenses at fraction of the value (35 summicron asph at $2000).

Last edited:
Hi Zekk,
For rental, try to feel m8 and m9 in camerarental.biz. Perhaps a 3-day rent for hunting during the weekend will give a good feel. Location is near bugis area, below the pedestrian bridge. I rented a few lenses there to test out. I believe they dont show too much of RF in their catalogue but i believe i had the chance to rent voigt 15/4, voigt 35/1.4 and voigt 50/1.x. Have a go at the carl zeiss 35/2 too. I heard that they were in the process of getting a leica lens into their collection before i left SIN. Good luck.

Here's my 2cents worth after shooting with M6 -> M8 -> M9 and many cams in between.

1) Should I buy the camera or the lens first?
Buy Lens without a Leica body will fuel your desire even more.
So, i would suggest buy a 35mm Summarit & a used M240
actually Zeiss M Mount lens also makes a great value proposition with the M240

2) Which lens should I start with? Should I start with a relatively cheaper lens or take the dive and go for something like the 35 1.4?
I would recommend 35mm f2.0 Summicron (IV)

3) Should I get it from the Leica store or other camera stores?
If you have appetite for "risk", buy the camera and lens second hand...a greater value proposition.
because if you dont like it, can sell at cost neutral

4) How can I pay for the Leica products at the store? Is it possible to pay instalments? If so, over how long maximum?
Pls refer to #3 comments

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nonetheless, the desire to own a Leica is not by trying to sell own camera at above market prices and low balling Leica stuff at ridiculous prices such as WTB Leica M9 (offering $3000) and leica lenses at fraction of the value (35 summicron asph at $2000).

I sold a few of my cameras already, so I do not understand what you mean by selling camera above market prices. As for the low-balling, I admit I was being naive before. Now that I better understand the market, I know that part was wrong.

Also, I hope you find something better in your life other than trolling. Cheers.

Thank you to the ones who have provided very constructive remarks, I appreciate your help as well as the constructive criticisms along the way.

Renting one and try out for a few days will be a good way to see if you like the RF system… if you decided that you love it and you want it oh so badly, then you will have to see if you wanna bite the bullet and go straight for M240 or settle for something that you can afford. For lenses, there are many good offerings from different brands at a smaller price tag.

My suggestion would be NOT to go for the M240. If you are someone new to RF, you'll be inclined to use features of the M240 like focus peaking, LV etc, which takes the essence out of RF photography. Go with an M8 or M9, where you'll be "forced" to do RF focusing the traditional way, and it's meant to be, you'll soon fall in love with it. With digital RFs you can also immediately review your photos, instead of burning through rolls and rolls of film to start getting used to an RF.

There are other cheaper RF which you can try out first to get the hang of it.
Try them out if you like RF focusing.
But then you would have to use film. And a great learning experience. :)

Below are some of my collection.

Canon Canonet G-III QL17
Olympus 35RC
Olympus 35RD
Yashica GSN35
Zorki 4kc/w Jupiter 8 50mm f2
Leica M6 (LTM Mount Canon 35mm F/2, LTM Canon 50mm F/1.4, Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4)

My only 1 roll of film worth advice. 'Buy what your wallet allows.'

Buy what you can afford without getting into debt. Try out RF system first, especially the manual focus and handling.

I started with M8 and venture upwards. But I have moved to film as I enjoy the analog feel and having to develop my own film.

Shooting M6TTL n R2A n 120s most of the time leaving my digital untouched for a long time. (My iPhone 5 can produce very good pics, of cos can't compare to Leica but good enuff for me) Spending good money on Leica lenses you can afford first as most people keep the lenses and sell the cam bodies over time. Just sharing my thoughts.

If I had to pick one digital Leica rangefinder today, I will buy the Monochrom.

It is still uniquely Leica.

My advice is to go for a used set, but very mint M8 since it is still a very capable Leica digital. You become the owner of a true Leica still, but at a very decent price. A Leica is A Leica.

Price drop quite drastically when new model appears, and a mint M8 can be bought within your budget since you have a Canon 6D before (around similar price range).

The killer price of the Leica will be the lenses (especially those ASPH, Summilux) which you don't have to spend on unless you shoot all indoors. Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses are all good lenses, and you have options to buy older used lenses a lot cheaper.

Don't go for a M240 if you are over stretching. It will never end, as there will be a next M with slightly better sensor, features. Everytime you sell and buy again, you lose big time. A used mint M240 is dropping well in price as well, and you can track the BNS prices.

Just for your info. I bought my M9P at $10,500. Sold at $7,000. Careful user with leather halfcase since day 1. Flawless set with zero signs of use. All thanks to new launch of M240.

Last edited:
Agree that the m8 is a capable camera, even by today's standards.

It is perhaps one of the cheapest way to get onto the Leica Digital rf bandwagon. Just make sure the m8 is free of the usual issues I.e coffee stain, white lines on images etc.

Apart from that, a Leica will always be a Leica. The build and feel of the m8 is as good as the m9, rock solid, beautifully crafted.

Do note that you will spend more on lenses once u get a body. :)

Just FYI.

If I am not wrong, alot of M8s can no longer be serviced by Leica because they have run out of of parts. They will instead offer you a trade up offer where you can buy a ME at a discounted price.

Thanks to all. I made my decision and purchased a m240 2 days ago. I know despite many of your kind advice that I should use a film or used camera first, I still went ahead with it. I did not put myself in debt for this. I just managed to sell a few of my older cameras. I also bought a summaron 35mm 3.5 as a stop gap while I start saving for a better 35mm. The camera is wonderful to use and I have not regretted my decision, hopefully I never will.

Wise decision. Enjoy your new toy. Please share your pics later.

If it's a M240 with a 35mm FL, I'm quite sure u won't really regret the purchase :) now just go out and have fun shooting till the desire to get better lenses bites ;)