Depreciation of Equipment - the Aspiring Pros need to know

Most hobbyist doesn't really bothers about the cost of their gears. As long as they are able to get their gears and be happy with what they want, do some jobs to recover the costs, it's already good enough for them.

I not a pro, just a fat old man enjoying photography. I did spend quite a amount on my equipment and still spending (luckily I am single, haha!). It's life, every day we also spending $ on transport, food etc. But we will earn back by working, either the hard or easy way. There are always +/-, in and out, up and down etc. So, just enjoy photography, don't think so much you spend on gears etc. Be happy, keep shooting!

Agreed that Depreciation of Equipment is everywhere, your camera, your lens, your car,TV, laptops, PC .....

But.... i can't help to wonder what camera TS should suggest for "Dumb" Hobbist that aims to take photos as good as the "Pro" Photographers and doesn't depreciate?

And how about those having expensive Hand phones that depreciate as well? Will that consider making everyone here who don't use it for work look "Dumb" as well?

Agreed that Depreciation of Equipment is everywhere, your camera, your lens, your car,TV, laptops, PC .....

But.... i can't help to wonder what camera TS should suggest for "Dumb" Hobbist that aims to take photos as good as the "Pro" Photographers and doesn't depreciate?

And how about those having expensive Hand phones that depreciate as well? Will that consider making everyone here who don't use it for work look "Dumb" as well?

We all have our means to make ends meet, and it is not for some self-righteous individuals who label others just to elevate themselves. Well, if that is the case, we should all use our money to invest as anything depreciates, buying car and all. Not everything is measured by pure monetary terms, hobbyists buy a satisfaction with newer tools to make photos which they enjoy. And it is also not for one to say one cannot be happy just because his or her photos suck. If one is going to foolishly label a hobbyist for being dumb for depreciation of value of their gears, he is unlikely to be a happy man.

The Photo Biz, is a discussing section for the business aspect of Photography, MAKING MONEY WITH PHOTOGRAPHY.

When a person make money with his/her photography skills, that is a business,
even he/she charges very low price, like $50 for a birthday party shoot or $2 for a jewellery product shoot, that is A BUSINESS, since there is a transaction of money.

when photography is not a business to a person, it will be just a Hobby to him/her, a very expensive Hobby.

the active contributors has been giving advice to aspiring pro photographers here, I believe they have no intention to know and no interest on how you spend your money on your Hobby.

Hence, I have re-titled this thread title.

and Please keep the discussion civil and relevant.

and any irrelevant posts after my this post will consider off topic, and will be delete.
repeat offenders will be consider as trolling.

In a fast moving business world with multiple services, etc. how you market yourself, may or may not be different from others. You could for example offer free photography services (or any other kind of services in any other kind of line) in order to break into a network circle that you consider important, or in order to sell some other kind of service, or in order to support some other kind of service that is important to your business. Judging why a "competitor" (someone who is offering a similar service) is charging too low or too high is not very fruitful, although evaluating and understanding, why they charge and the way they charge (i.e. if they charge $10 for wedding dinners, where do they make money from) is mandatory and should be continuous.

Understanding the cost of depreciation of equipment is again mandatory, but remember, there is a whole bunch of assumptions there. For example, "assume 1,000 per wedding event then the camera life shutter will need replacement after xyz wedding dinners".. but in reality, someone might see things different "do xyz number of weddings for these friends, and it will link me with xyz number of people, assuming that I sell a service abc to these people which makes me $xyz,abc then the actual cost of a couple of D4 or D3X 's (insert your favourite brand and model) is not that much comparatively"...

One cannot assume "a 'photographer' is defined as someone who only shoots for direct income from the photos" all the time especially in today's competitive multidisciplinary interconnected world.