defense for pple sued by odex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite surprised actually, why are we so adamant in protecting copyrights to our images but this we are against?

Anyway, I don't know enough about this to comment further.

../azul123

when someone takes your picture, put it on his/her website and claims ownership/makes alterations to your picture and make it his/hers, that's infringing the rights to your work

for anime market, fans do not take the work and make the work theirs. they don't make alterations except adding subtitles to promote the work overseas. the credit of the work still goes to the original creator(s).

if someone takes your picture, promote it overseas and make you famous, will you be happy?

i'm not an anime fan myself, but the distinction can be seen quite easily.

when someone takes your picture, put it on his/her website and claims ownership/makes alterations to your picture and make it his/hers, that's infringing the rights to your work

for anime market, fans do not take the work and make the work theirs. they don't make alterations except adding subtitles to promote the work overseas. the credit of the work still goes to the original creator(s).

if someone takes your picture, promote it overseas and make you famous, will you be happy?

i'm not an anime fan myself, but the distinction can be seen quite easily.
:thumbsup:
one is basically stealing your work and possibly style and calling card, the other is giving your free publicity for your work...which one you prefer?

:thumbsup:
one is basically stealing your work and possibly style and calling card, the other is giving your free publicity for your work...which one you prefer?

which is why it doesn't make sense to sue the fans. only big production houses and distributors are interested to do such things.

which is why it doesn't make sense to sue the fans. only big production houses and distributors are interested to do such things.

I agree, when the RIAA started going after fans in the States all the marketing profs and gurus came out and said that they're courting disaster for their industry by attacking their own consumers...

I agree, when the RIAA started going after fans in the States all the marketing profs and gurus came out and said that they're courting disaster for their industry by attacking their own consumers...

so end up fans and small time anime creators suffer. when people stop promoting their works, small time creators get stuck in the saturated home market with little chance of breakthrough and get eliminated by big production houses. you'll see a major decline in production volumes as well as creativity of anime works ... good thing singapore is only small tiny market so won't affect the whole anime market that much. but it'll only kill the anime culture in singapore, just too bad.

so end up fans and small time anime creators suffer. when people stop promoting their works, small time creators get stuck in the saturated home market with little chance of breakthrough and get eliminated by big production houses. you'll see a major decline in production volumes as well as creativity of anime works ... good thing singapore is only small tiny market so won't affect the whole anime market that much. but it'll only kill the anime culture in singapore, just too bad.

yeap just too bad. Odex is sowing some bad karma. It'll come back to haunt them. The day it goes bust (hopefully soon) i think alot of people will do the dance of joy.

i think Odex is despo for $$ to go to such lengths. if they r such doing brisk business w/ their anime business they wont bother.

businesses should kno tt healthy competition can bring businesses up. but they "monopolised" anime locally & i guess they're hurting. :bsmilie:

Uhh, i'm not aware of all the details about this case but why is it that everyone feel that what odex is doing is wrong? Ppl that download copyrighted stuff without paying and without the owners permission is the same as stealing.... just because most of them are teenagers in sec school is no excuse... stealing is still stealing and you have to pay price....

Let me try to understand it a little more, if someone takes my image without my permission and promote it and make me famous... hmmm, I think I will be happy, but it still does not absolve that person who took my photo without permission, right?

In a nutshell this is how I see the correlation between the two.

My purpose is not to argue I just want to understand it a little more, my children are into Anime too, that is why I am trying to know more.

../azul123

Uhh, i'm not aware of all the details about this case but why is it that everyone feel that what odex is doing is wrong? Ppl that download copyrighted stuff without paying and without the owners permission is the same as stealing.... just because most of them are teenagers in sec school is no excuse... stealing is still stealing and you have to pay price....

this means that you don't understand the anime market at all :)

You might be right. Stealing must be punished. But I think asking for up to 10K for first time offenders, its too much. Odex is taking advantage of the situation, it is like giving 12 cane strokes for stealing a lollipop. I still think they should give warning, telling them to stop illegal downloading or face legal actions. For the method of Odexing the anime fans, I have no sympathy towards xysing

Let me try to understand it a little more, if someone takes my image without your permission and promote it and make me famous... hmmm, I think I will be happy, but it still does not absolve that person who took my photo without permission, right?

In a nutshell this is how I see the correlation between the two.

My purpose is not to argue I just want to understand it a little more, my children are into Anime too, that is why I am trying to know more.

../azul123

:bsmilie:

are you worried you'll get letters?

anyway, photographers don't get famous via fan base, they get famous via recognition by established institutions. someone sees your picture online, think it's a masterpiece, show it to an international museum, the museum contact you and ask for your picture to be printed and exhibited, are you going to blame that guy who showed your picture to the museum?

in the anime market, success is measured more by fan base and viewership. you try producing an anime and protect it with all your capabilities, disallowing anyone from showing your anime to other people, you think other people will be bothered to come look at your anime? there're tons of other anime works around, the one that captures the imagination of the viewers wins the day.

at the abstract level, value of a photograph dips with copying. when the same picture appears everywhere and is easily produced by everyone, the original creator becomes unknown, the picture not unique and forgettable. value of an anime rises with copying, the more people watch and distribute a piece of anime work, the more support the creator has to produce more work for fans' consumption. you see a nice photograph appearing everywhere usually you just let it pass, just another picture it is. you see a nice anime being shown everywhere, you start to ask who created the anime.

:bsmilie:

are you worried you'll get letters?

anyway, photographers don't get famous via fan base, they get famous via recognition by established institutions. someone sees your picture online, think it's a masterpiece, show it to an international museum, the museum contact you and ask for your picture to be printed and exhibited, are you going to blame that guy who showed your picture to the museum?

in the anime market, success is measured more by fan base and viewership. you try producing an anime and protect it with all your capabilities, disallowing anyone from showing your anime to other people, you think other people will be bothered to come look at your anime? there're tons of other anime works around, the one that captures the imagination of the viewers wins the day.
So, more viewership better and what ODEX is doing is counter to Anime's interest.

I can't say what they are doing or planning to do is right or wrong, but if they own the rights... what else is there we can argue?

Maybe we can blame them as the worst strategist or business initiatives but I think that is about all.

Oh, about getting the letters... yes, I would be worried that is why when I first read about this, my first instinct is to tell all my kids... don't.

../azul123

So, more viewership better and what ODEX is doing is counter to Anime's interest.

I can't say what they are doing or planning to do is right or wrong, but if they own the rights... what else is there we can argue?

Maybe we can blame them as the worst strategist or business initiatives but I think that is about all.

Oh, about getting the letters... yes, I would be worried that is why when I first read about this, my first instinct is to tell all my kids... don't.

../azul123

that's why rights, ownership, copyrights are not always a black and white issue when it comes to entertainment businesses. Odex don't own the rights btw, and if i'm not wrong AVPAS is supposed to represent the rights owners instead of Odex. i'm really confused with the real function of the 2 since Odex is only a distributor, so logically they should take action against illegal distributors. if there's anything to do with rights, i don't think any of the fans took the original works, modified them and made it theirs.

if we're going to be so narrow-defining and strict about copyright issues, i think alot of people will get it in this forum just by looking at the avatars, good example is garou12 :bsmilie:

if we're going to be so narrow-defining and strict about copyright issues, i think alot of people will get it in this forum just by looking at the avatars, good example is garou12 :bsmilie:
Phew... :sweat:

Luckily, mine is taken by yours truly with camera resting on rubbish bin and on timer.

../azul123

hey that is not superman, its bizarro :p

hey that is not superman, its bizarro :p

well, still the artwork is published by DC comics, and you copied it and put it up as your avatar didn't you ;p

see you copied and use without permission from the original creators! you sinner! someone send in the lawyers! :devil:

well, still the artwork is published by DC comics, and you copied it and put it up as your avatar didn't you ;p

nope DC gave it out :p besides i'm not selling the image for profit. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.