D90 users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
I think more and more people have just bought D90 and I hope everyone can come in and share their comments and views about this value for money camera.

For me I just got it today. Before that I was using D60, and was contemplating between D90 and D300. However, after testing the cameras at the shop, I realised the D90 is more suitable for me for the following reasons (not in any order of importance):

1. Price
2. Weight & size
3. Video mode
4. Better user-friendliness of the Live View (so that non-DSLR users can easily shoot using it - because I always ask strangers/colleagues/family to take photos for me)
5. Ability to create fisheye effect with the built-in editor
6. Better iso noise management above iso1600 (according to some online reviews)

I might consider upgrading to semi-pro/pro cameras in the future but not now yet.
Meanwhile I am thinking that all the D90 users should come together for some outing shoots.

Last edited:
hi sin77, i just got my D90 around 3 weeks back... it's my first digicam(if you don't count my SE cybershot phone :p) and i am very please with it, because it has the versatility that PnS camera does not offers, though i just started into photography 3 weeks ago, my actual motive was to get a good camera for me to take photo of my Gundam Model Kit that i made(ok i think it's alittle overkill to get a D90 just to shoot model kit) but i am very interested in doing photoshoot outdoor, i have been carrying my D90 around with me without fail when i'm out, just so when i see something nice, i will capture it... but so far, none of my shot are actually presentable... i am hoping to learn more from fellow CS-er on technique and skill so i can take beautiful photos :p

so i am definitely in for outing shoots if there is one~

intially i wanted to get a D60, but some consideration i took the D90 because.
1) i like the size of the camera(though it's still alittle small for my hands but definitely feels better than a D60)
2) video
3) LiveView
4) have more advance option so i won't outgrow the functionality of the D60 as quickly...

hi sin77, i just got my D90 around 3 weeks back... it's my first digicam(if you don't count my SE cybershot phone :p) and i am very please with it, because it has the versatility that PnS camera does not offers, though i just started into photography 3 weeks ago, my actual motive was to get a good camera for me to take photo of my Gundam Model Kit that i made(ok i think it's alittle overkill to get a D90 just to shoot model kit) but i am very interested in doing photoshoot outdoor, i have been carrying my D90 around with me without fail when i'm out, just so when i see something nice, i will capture it... but so far, none of my shot are actually presentable... i am hoping to learn more from fellow CS-er on technique and skill so i can take beautiful photos :p

so i am definitely in for outing shoots if there is one~

intially i wanted to get a D60, but some consideration i took the D90 because.
1) i like the size of the camera(though it's still alittle small for my hands but definitely feels better than a D60)
2) video
3) LiveView
4) have more advance option so i won't outgrow the functionality of the D60 as quickly...

Best way to improve is to post your shots for C&C. But dun take comments personal. Its all part of improvement etc. But having said that... if even you think your shots are not presentable, try and work out what you dun like about it and start from there... Maybe do some reading up on composition etc...

I am so glad to have made the upgrade. I tested D90 iso3200 (high NR) and it is of acceptable quality for me. There are also far too many features and conveniences over the D60. The fisheye editing is also fun and that saves me some money of not buying the fisheye lens. Hmmm, perhaps I should buy a fast lens instead.

Btw, you all got any idea when and where for the outing? Once we roughly have an idea, I will start a thread in the outing/gathering forum and post the link here. I hope it will be a big outing for D90 photographers to come together to learn from one another.

Also i think we should start a

List of photographers who proudly own the remarkable D90:
1. sin77 - D90, SB600, 18-200mm VRII, 50mm f1.8

Please continue the list.

Last edited:
Another happy D90 user over here.
In fact I don't think I missed any features from D300, except for 6-8fps and 51pt AF.

D90 has better features as follows:
- Enable easy ISO and u can change ISO with your secondary command dial, without pressing ISO button. D300 can't do that.
- Dedicated Live view button
- Can use wireless infrared remote
- Auto d-lighting, only other camera with no vertical grip that has this feature is D700.

Last edited:
Hi, all D90 users

Do i need to do some settings for 18-200mm and 50mm f1.8 lens?

Hmm...just mount and fire I think...
D90 can't do AF fine-tuning.
Nikkor 18-200 and 50mm should be pretty color neutral lenses, so don't think need to adjust picture control settings. As for AF & metering mode, it'll depend on what you're shooting

Hi

The home DVD player's cable is not the same size and cannot be used on the D90.

Has anyone bought HDMI cable?

Where to get and how much?

Hello Bro...
may i know where did you get the D90?
Alot of place out of stock.

HOw much did you pay for it?
I am searching for a D90 as well.

I think more and more people have just bought D90 and I hope everyone can come in and share their comments and views about this value for money camera.

For me I just got it today. Before that I was using D60, and was contemplating between D90 and D300. However, after testing the cameras at the shop, I realised the D90 is more suitable for me for the following reasons (not in any order of importance):

1. Price
2. Weight & size
3. Video mode
4. Better user-friendliness of the Live View (so that non-DSLR users can easily shoot using it - because I always ask strangers/colleagues/family to take photos for me)
5. Ability to create fisheye effect with the built-in editor
6. Better iso noise management above iso1600 (according to some online reviews)

I might consider upgrading to semi-pro/pro cameras in the future but not now yet.
Meanwhile I am thinking that all the D90 users should come together for some outing shoots.

Got from tk photo

I bought the D90 for travel as it's the lightest and has the ability to geotag the photos in camera.

Hi

The home DVD player's cable is not the same size and cannot be used on the D90.

Has anyone bought HDMI cable?

Where to get and how much?

And....anyone uses the vertical grip with Eneloops. I'm wondering how many shots we are able to get from my fav Eneloops.

Hello Bro...

Hi

Fyi, I bought mine at Parissilk Holland ... D90 + 18-105mm VR kit + 4Gb Lexar SDHC card + cleaning kit for $1680 nett.

Cheers

Lordjim

Yes ... I finally got my D90 Kit @ Pixel & Lens (Chinatown)

18-105mm VR
nikon 50mm f/1.8
UV lens for both lens
Polorize lens for 50mm
8GB SDHC (free gift)
Card Reader (Free Gift)
Cleaning kit (Free Gift)

All for $2165.00

Yes ... I finally got my D90 Kit @ Pixel & Lens (Chinatown)

18-105mm VR
nikon 50mm f/1.8
UV lens for both lens
Polorize lens for 50mm
8GB SDHC (free gift)
Card Reader (Free Gift)
Cleaning kit (Free Gift)

All for $2165.00

:think: u paid xtra $300 for it compare to shops like MS, AP, TK

hi everyone just gotten my d90 as my 1st cam gotten fr harvey on the high side:

gotten the 18-105mm package $1988
freebies:

-tripod
-uv filter
-lowe bag
- card reader
-2x san disk 8g
-screen protector
- 3rd party batt
- lens pen
-cleaning kit

still learning how to use it haha but am very impressed and pleased with this new toy:)

hi everyone just gotten my d90 as my 1st cam gotten fr harvey on the high side:

gotten the 18-105mm package $1988
freebies:

-tripod
-uv filter
-lowe bag
- card reader
-2x san disk 8g
-screen protector
- 3rd party batt
- lens pen
-cleaning kit

still learning how to use it haha but am very impressed and pleased with this new toy:)
still ok la... got so many freebies.

Mine is $1660 from TK Photo.
D90 body
18-105mm VR
4GB SDHC with reader
Nikon cleaning kit (because i'm regular customer)

Last edited:
:think: u paid xtra $300 for it compare to shops like MS, AP, TK

depends on brand of filters lah... 50mm f1.8 not so cheap also.. think he overpaid.. but slightly only if filters are unknown brand. But then again, if they're unknown.. might end up paying more to replace them..

Hello Bro...

Hey bro, just got my D90+8GB @ Parasilk(Holland V) for $1678, try there they have plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.