D90 User Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, that's why we use DSLRs - the fact that we prefer to D-I-Y the setting ourselves (fine tune to our keenest of eyes)! Otherwise, one would be better off using PnS since everything is pre-adjusted! :bsmilie: Righto dude?

Hassle? What hassle? Can't find that word in the manual... :dunno: :bsmilie:

Spot-on! We like to control what and how we want to take, not the camera to determine what and how we should take!:bsmilie:

...I do admit I am quite lost after switching from Full Manual camera to DSLR,....thanks to those little Digital compacts,...else dead-dead liao!

Last edited:
Picture David Hasselhoff using a Hasselblad.... :bigeyes: Oh Bruther! :sweat:

It's fun using M mode - if you get the pictures right (good exposure and sharp) you can pat yourself on your back... but most of the time I can only give myself a facepalm... :bsmilie:

Imagine when David gets old, retires and start shooting a medium format as a hobby....

Headlines will read...
David Hasselhoff, shoots with a Hasselblad while being Hassled-(about being)Bald.

I say don't restrict yourself to any PSAM or other modes. If the purpose is a photoshoot, use manual and benefit most. Candid and based on situations, always do consider PSA modes. It is always worse to miss the moment by not getting the right settings. Even I will use the Sports mode in situations when I have only 2-3 seconds to take a moving object. Just changing the dial will give you acceptable settings that overide your whacked out ISO, shutter, aperture, EV, etc.... to at least take a useable picture.

Don't restrict yourself, learn everything, not only M mode.

I say don't restrict yourself to any PSAM or other modes. If the purpose is a photoshoot, use manual and benefit most. Candid and based on situations, always do consider PSA modes. It is always worse to miss the moment by not getting the right settings. Even I will use the Sports mode in situations when I have only 2-3 seconds to take a moving object. Just changing the dial will give you acceptable settings that overide your whacked out ISO, shutter, aperture, EV, etc.... to at least take a useable picture.

Don't restrict yourself, learn everything, not only M mode.

Come to think of it, I only use M mode when doing long exposures in landscape photography, and in flash photography..

Just bought a D90 two weeks ago and sold my Canon 450D. I love how it performs better in higher ISO than the 450D. I also like the shutter sound.

by the way, up to what ISO have you tested the D90 to be usable? right now Im trying to limit my ISO to 1250.

I use 800 for default settings, change according to situation. I use up to HI1 in low light when required.

I use 800 for default settings, change according to situation. I use up to HI1 in low light when required.

:bigeyes: waaa, so you are on ISO800 most of the time?

I set mine at base ISO200, and turn auto ISO on with minimum shutter speed of 1/60. Max ISO 1600, sometimes 3200 when too dark.

When on landscape, I turn auto ISO off.

DrSpock said:
Bro Isisaxon, Do you know if you adjust it lower still in M mode? Like for D90 I think you can adjust the shutter speed to go as low as 1/60 or even lower in P ^ A mode so that the background can be brighter whenever you use flash but the max Flash Sync speed is 1/200 for D90. How are they related?
Yes, you can use shutter speed slower than the sync speed. The reason for the sync speed is because the flash is a burst of bright light which lasts for only like 1/1000s or even shorter depending on the flash power, so for this burst of light to be captured, the shutter must fully open first, otherwise the shutter will cast a shadow. The first curtain will open when you release the shutter. The moment the first curtain fully opens, the flash sync is triggered. At higher shutter speed, however, the second curtain had already started closing even before the first curtain has fully open. So when the flash is fired, the 2nd curtain would cast a shadow.

For flash photography, the exposure is determined by the aperture, ISO and the flash power only. So you can use the shutter speed to control the ambient light exposure to get a balance between the flash and the ambient light. In P and A modes, you can use slow sync to get the camera to meter for the ambient light. Otherwise you can use the M or S modes to select the shutter speed. My shooting style is usually M or A mode because of historical reasons. ;p

:bigeyes: waaa, so you are on ISO800 most of the time?

I set mine at base ISO200, and turn auto ISO on with minimum shutter speed of 1/60. Max ISO 1600, sometimes 3200 when too dark.

When on landscape, I turn auto ISO off.

Yup, ISO800 so that shutter is fast enough when I whip out the camera. Of course I will change ISO to 200 when with tripod or for bright days.

Yup, ISO800 so that shutter is fast enough when I whip out the camera. Of course I will change ISO to 200 when with tripod or for bright days.

Why don't you use Auto ISO instead, setting a minimum shutter speed. That will ensure you get nice photos when the sun is shinning very strongly...

Why don't you use Auto ISO instead, setting a minimum shutter speed. That will ensure you get nice photos when the sun is shinning very strongly...

I do set min shutter speed at 1/50. But to me, ISO800 is very close to ISO200 in terms of noise and color in good lighting, so I rather max my shutter for a small trade off in quality. I guess is personal tolerance to the quality for the photos.

I will never know when I need to take a picture, so lets as I am on a moving vehicle in the evening and something comes by quickly, without changing the settings, I can get 1/200 shutter for an acceptable picture, than a blur at 1/50. I had my fare share of deleting blur pictures and missing the shot many times in the past that now I aim for useable photos than few perfect quality but missing many in the meantime.

Hi, i'm a new D90 user just got it 1 month ago..
I'm more in to b&w photographer..
so i'm curious how to get a darker contrast when taking the photo in black and white mode??

Hi, i'm a new D90 user just got it 1 month ago..
I'm more in to b&w photographer..
so i'm curious how to get a darker contrast when taking the photo in black and white mode??

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to CS.

For B&W, there are many ways to get there. My preferred method would be to shoot the scene in color, and convert the picture to B&W in PP. And it is not a straight conversion. I will adjust luminance by the color to get the exact impact I want.

Here is a tutorial on how to do it.

http://www.bwvision.com/photography-techniques/a-step-by-step-tutorial-for-beginners-on-how-to-make-a-good-looking-digital-black-and-white-image-part-1-of-2/

Just got my D90 today.........
With 50mm lens:)

Just got my D90 today.........
With 50mm lens:)

Just got mine today too ;) got it at challenger....i noticed they sell it bundled with either with the D90 kit 105mm vr or if u want slightly cheaper they give u the 18-55.....but only $50 less

Just got mine today too ;) got it at challenger....i noticed they sell it bundled with either with the D90 kit 105mm vr or if u want slightly cheaper they give u the 18-55.....but only $50 less

Congrats on your purchase! the 18-105 is a much better lens. Do remember to register your warranty online at http://www.nikonclub.com.sg/. You will get a free additional 3 months warranty if you do it.

Congrats on your purchase! the 18-105 is a much better lens. Do remember to register your warranty online at http://www.nikonclub.com.sg/. You will get a free additional 3 months warranty if you do it.

just to avoid confusion, the additional 3 months warranty is only for camera body purchase :)

just to avoid confusion, the additional 3 months warranty is only for camera body purchase :)

Actually, you also made it confusing. Whether you bought camera body only, or camera with kit lens, the 3 months additional warranty will apply, but this extension in warranty will only apply to the camera body only, and only if you register it online within a fixed period from the day you made the purchase.

Can a Nikon Lens Series E 50mm 1:1.8 be use on a D90?

Status
Not open for further replies.