D80 or A350 or 40D or 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi sunboi, yeah have considered the lens factor. Based on my read-ups and do correct me if i'm wrong, I understand that getting lenses be it Canon or 3rd parties is not much of a problem? I hope to get a body which could last me throughout my 'newbiehood' to perhaps an amateur someday? :)

Actually a good lens and skills + eye for details is more impt, not the body... I've seen professionals using nikon D70s also in the past and they produce great results... Give a lousy fella a D3 (sorry i am a nikon user) with the most ex lens and he cannot produce results also. Give a good photographer any of the cameras u list here and they can give u the goods. U get my pt?

I think the bodies u listed here are all good bodies. but i have to agree that the 40D is in a different class from D80 and 450D. the equiv nikon is the D300 to 40D to A700? mabbe not fair to compare like that lor.

Personally I am a nikon DSLR fan (i also own a canon ixus 860IS) and i chose it over canon system cos of feel and handling (my 1st DSLR was also nikon and also my fren is using nikon so we can share lens :bsmilie:).

Rest assured, if u are good, u can take stunning pics with any of the cameras and any of the cam can last u till "amatuerhood" even "semi pro"...

P/S: perhaps it just give customers more confidence when they see a photographer lugging a huge and ex camera? :dunno:

actually i was wondering whether the 40D would fit into ur budget of $2k?
u need to get a couple of lens + filters + flash(mabbe??) + bag + dry cabinet etc...
:embrass:

Based on a limited budget, it depends on whether you are shooting as a "full time" hobby or just shooting on a leisure basis (for holidays). For me, I am better off by purchasing the new 450D and I am very satisfied with its performance so far. Getting it at a much lower price than a semi-pro model will allow me more budget to purchase other lenses: wide angle, macro, tele, prime and other accessories : flash, dry cabinet, tripod, filters, crumpler camera bags, etc. The list goes on..

actually i was wondering whether the 40D would fit into ur budget of $2k?
u need to get a couple of lens + filters + flash(mabbe??) + bag + dry cabinet etc...
:embrass:

haha maybe that only enough to get the body only... so how about lens?:confused:

I highly recommend the 40D, it is actually value for money especially now that the price is going down. :)

Well choosing a camera sure ain't easy as I thought it be. As of presently I'm about 65% sure of getting the 40D. But could you guys enlighten me on the advantage of an a350 over the 40d, having the super steady shot built in it's body. Would there be a big difference on pic quality when using a non-IS on the 40D as compared to the ones taken with the A350, SSS turned on?

Bro, get the canon 450D and use the savings for better lenses.
me going to get my 450D soon..... yipee.....;)

as mentioned through out this thread, the key word here is system. it depends what kind of photographer u are or at least u aim to be.

at the moment u have named essentially 3 systems. sony, nikon and canon.

each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

sony--> great features at competitive pricing. however it lacks depth. depth of the choices of lenses and accesories.

canon --> great system. the 40d feels solid it does have good noise control. however if u shoot say events or do portraits...of shoe lighting is going to be kind of expensive. also canon switched mounts so u dont have access to the full range of older manual lenses.

nikon--> sturdy feel. good range of lenses both new and old. i do know people who have gone through as many as 20 odd lenses in a year. buying and selling and trying old lenses. the d80 does have decent noise control. although i would admit not as good as canon. however lighting options in terms of flash are relatively cheaper since your d80 can wirelessly trigger the sb600 without purchase of other equiptment.

honestly i would pick between nikon and canon and leave sony in the corner. simply because in the long run either of these systems have enough depth for you to expand. however if u are the type of photogrpaher who probaby wont upgrade then the sony would be a decent contender.

Well choosing a camera sure ain't easy as I thought it be. As of presently I'm about 65% sure of getting the 40D. But could you guys enlighten me on the advantage of an a350 over the 40d, having the super steady shot built in it's body. Would there be a big difference on pic quality when using a non-IS on the 40D as compared to the ones taken with the A350, SSS turned on?

sorry to reply again but....this IS/VR/SS thingy is a new thing. and photographers have been doing without it for eons. i strongly feel that u should not make your decision based on this feature. if you give me a choice between 40d and the sony i take th 40 d anytime. bump up iso and shoot at faster speeds. faster shutter always beats dependance on a IS or SS.

and the answer to ur question is IS and SS do not affect things like sharpness and overall IQ it only is a conreaction to handshake which can be easily fixed with raising shutter speed

canon and nikon are big brothers in the DSLR mkt... sony (though it's using minolta sys) is still more or less the new kid on the block. THe big brothers sure have a trick or 2 up their sleeves, go with either brand, u wun be wrong...
however as others (and me) have pointed out, it's unfair to compair 40D with D80... cos they are essentially not in the same class. Compare D300 to 40D is more fair...
FOr me I would rather take a cheaper body like A450 or D80, cos starting out. Who knows suddenly u lost interest(touch wood) then there will be a 2000++ odd white elephant sitting in ur house.
I have to agree that with sony's SSS, we can save alot of $$ cos no need to buy VR lens like canon and nikon which are very expensive, but i guess each have it's pros and cons... For VR, u can actually see the effect on ur viewfinder. SSS u can't...

even if i were to choose all over again, i will still choose my D80 and save the $$ on accessories like good lens,flash, tripod etc.... :angel:

as mentioned through out this thread, the key word here is system. it depends what kind of photographer u are or at least u aim to be.

at the moment u have named essentially 3 systems. sony, nikon and canon.

each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

sony--> great features at competitive pricing. however it lacks depth. depth of the choices of lenses and accesories.

canon --> great system. the 40d feels solid it does have good noise control. however if u shoot say events or do portraits...of shoe lighting is going to be kind of expensive. also canon switched mounts so u dont have access to the full range of older manual lenses.

nikon--> sturdy feel. good range of lenses both new and old. i do know people who have gone through as many as 20 odd lenses in a year. buying and selling and trying old lenses. the d80 does have decent noise control. although i would admit not as good as canon. however lighting options in terms of flash are relatively cheaper since your d80 can wirelessly trigger the sb600 without purchase of other equiptment.

honestly i would pick between nikon and canon and leave sony in the corner. simply because in the long run either of these systems have enough depth for you to expand. however if u are the type of photogrpaher who probaby wont upgrade then the sony would be a decent contender.

These comments are results of extensive reading and comparing. I totally agreed.:thumbsup:

Sony system has over 350 lenses... Dunno where the lack of depth there is...

Hey all,

would like to say many2 thanks!!! for all of your reviews/comments/opinions to the mentioned c

cameras. After much2 consideration I have... and yes... I have finally got the Canon 40D kit

18-55 lens. Can't wait for the for the battery to get charged up and start shooting away!!

:bsmilie:

lol well...even if you are right in comparison to nikon who by itself has more than 400 of its own different fmount lenses, not including those made by other 3rd party companies such as tamron tokina sigma and zeiss. anyway dont start war.

Hey all,

would like to say many2 thanks!!! for all of your reviews/comments/opinions to the mentioned c

cameras. After much2 consideration I have... and yes... I have finally got the Canon 40D kit

18-55 lens. Can't wait for the for the battery to get charged up and start shooting away!!

:bsmilie:

congrats dude!!

Just go over the the MarketPlace Forums and see how many pple are actually selling and buying Sony or its 3rd parties lenses (or DSLR bodies)....In S'pore, the big brothers are the C n N..that's reality dude.

Personally, I think its easier to expand your system (when u need / want to) if u stick to C or N....unless of cos, if $$$ is not an issue, use any system u want.........

Status
Not open for further replies.