D700 vs 5D Mark II

camera profiles can be applied externally as well.. u can use d700 and shoot and apply 5dm2 profile...

Bro, it really isn't that simple... you can get closed, but manufacturers tweak their sensors differently.

Perhaps any more experienced PP-ers can comment on this?

camera profiles can be applied externally as well.. u can use d700 and shoot and apply 5dm2 profile...

:confused:
I think there is no option to choose D700 profile or 5DMarkII profile for post processing.

Working profile that commonly being used for Post Processing:
- sRGB IEC6 1966-2.1
- Adobe RGB (1998)
- ColorMatch RGB
- ProPhoto RGB

Bro, it really isn't that simple... you can get closed, but manufacturers tweak their sensors differently.

Perhaps any more experienced PP-ers can comment on this?

You are the person who live within the two systems, why dont you just do the test :-? Taking the same picture with canon & nikon body and then apply canon profile to the nikon raw pic?

You are the person who live within the two systems, why dont you just do the test :-? Taking the same picture with canon & nikon body and then apply canon profile to the nikon raw pic?

To be very frank, i've not owned both systems at the same time. So lets just say i've lived BETWEEN 2 systems. Budget doesn't allow me to own both at the same time.

Currently i'm back with a 5D2.

I tried in the past to use various techniques such as colorchecker to achieve standard color from the D700 and work from there. You can get very close. But you need to do colorchecker readings in all the major changing lighting.

Gradation seems to be simply different when it comes to skintones between nikon/canon. It's not color, it's the gradation.

Last edited:

Nikon and Canon process colour differently, it is not so simple as to just do a cut and paste of different camera settings or colour profile.
Back to TS question, years ago I started off shooting with Canon however one day after viewing an album taken with a Nikon, I was completely mesmerized by the bright and lively colours.
I made the switch to Nikon and have never looked back since, now happily shooting with a D700:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some say that the color of Canon is better for portraiture while Nikon is better for nature shots.

Personally I don't care that much, what I want is a constant color tone and gradient throughout the shots that are given to the clients. And at the end of the day they are happy with the results produced.

As photographers ourselves, how many can tell the dslr brand of every image that are taken after post processing? :think:

If so how many of your clients can tell? :bsmilie:

Frankly speaking d ppl who look at d pics dnt bother wat brands at all. Gd pic means gd pic, at times it's us photographers too nick picking n keep can't hav our stand n get us into so much delimma... I shd say choose watever system u like n comfy n stick to it n horn our skills. All these non stop debates really leads to no where. One friend of mine last yr say want use dslr look too much abt forum debate still can't decide. I also can't bother about him anymore...

Club snap should close those threads that keep comparing brands ESP nikonn canon...

Gd pic means gd pic, at times it's us photographers too nick picking n keep can't hav our stand n get us into so much delimma... I shd say choose watever system u like n comfy n stick to it n horn our skills. /QUOTE]

I agree that is why I dun understand why some photographers like to pixel peep on the details so much.

To me if the shot is interesting enuff, why is there a need to do so? :dunno:

I was thinking of moving to FF, may be within the next 12 months if my budget permits but i feel that Canon knows what CONSUMERS want when they add HD Video and HUGE Megapixel sensor in their 5DM2 while Nikon gives PHOTOGRAPHERS/ENTHUSIAST what they want with adequate 12MP + low high iso noise + D3-like AF performance/FPS.

IMHO, it's hard to ignore the fact that 5DM2 gives so much for the same $$ where as you just feel Nikon is holding back those extra features (to cut cost?). Whether you need HD video or not it's always feels "good to have", ditto to the extra megapixels.

IMO i think u got it the other way round. The 5D2 AF system is primitive. Adequate, but primitive. It uses the same AF System as 5D1=20D. On the other hand D700 uses an AF system similar to D3. Dont think i need to brag here about how fast and accurate the AF is :) and how inaccurate and slow the 5D is (i newbie dont know how to use the cam is it?)

D700 also comes with onboard flash to act as Master to slave other speedlites (CLS) and N been doing it for how long? On the other hand Canon just released theirs on the 7D not that long ago.

As for megapixels 24mp doesnt necessarily mean better than 12mp. The only advantage i see 24 has over 12 is for cropping image. I make it a habit to try not cropping my image and master the art of one shot one kill (still far from it :|) Im afraid when one becomes comfortable with cropping they tend to make it a habit. Try slowly cropping 1000 images! Go youtube D700 vs F5 vid. They printed 12mp image onto super large building banners so we know 12mp is definitely more than enough for 4Rs and Web. The only problem is can those standard industrial and home printers print such high res dpi images to make use of 24mp?

I feel Canon is very good at giving consumers what they want, while Nikon is more concerned about what the Pros need.

But i must admit Canon cams are good too and the company marketing and strategy welly good!

Last edited:
But i must admit Canon cams are good too and the company marketing and strategy welly good!

Agreed! Nikon has been really bad in marketing and promotions. Sad to say, as a nikon fan, i like Canon's branding image.

I am quite surprise Canon still can have all their DSLRs manufactured in Japan unlike Nikon which are manufacture in Thailand except their FF DSLRs. :rolleyes:

I am quite surprise Canon still can have all their DSLRs manufactured in Japan unlike Nikon which are manufacture in Thailand except their FF DSLRs. :rolleyes:

Can you point out some quality difference between the Thai and Japanese process?...I think not!
:dunno:

Last edited:
Can you point out some quality difference between the Thai and Japanese process?...I think not!
:dunno:

Not a matter of quality.

But was wondering why Canon still can manufacture their DSLRs in Japan ( High Cost ) unlike Nikon. And Nikon DSLR price is still higher than Canon even when they are manufactured in Thailand ?

Not a matter of quality.

But was wondering why Canon still can manufacture their DSLRs in Japan ( High Cost ) unlike Nikon. And Nikon DSLR price is still higher than Canon even when they are manufactured in Thailand ?

Same Price + Lower Manufacturing Cost = Higher Profit :think:

To be very frank, i've not owned both systems at the same time. So lets just say i've lived BETWEEN 2 systems. Budget doesn't allow me to own both at the same time.

Currently i'm back with a 5D2.

I tried in the past to use various techniques such as colorchecker to achieve standard color from the D700 and work from there. You can get very close. But you need to do colorchecker readings in all the major changing lighting.

Gradation seems to be simply different when it comes to skintones between nikon/canon. It's not color, it's the gradation.

Back with 5D Mark II ?
You miss your old Canon, don't you ? ;)

You guys change system like change underwear.....:bsmilie:

I currently own 5D Mark II, the reason I stick to Canon is the lenses I bought over the years (couple from film slr days as well) but few of my kakis are D700 users, I think both Nikon D700 and Canon 5D2 are great (not just good but great) cameras and both have their strength and weakness we should not get ourselves confused trying to determine which is better.

The decision should be base on your preference of the system beyond camera body, your current lenses investment and your style of shooting. I realized Nikon system present you a very highly customizable setup where you can almost tweak everything and anything, many many buttons. Canon go for very simplistic design and only present it users very limited customizable set (technical folks won't be happy) but the strength lies in the core features that they did really well.

Similarly, there are people that like Home theater setup with highly customizable features, many speakers and many many buttons and there are some that love HiFi very simplistics look and purist operation no treble, bass, balance controls only one big volume control knob, it is a matter of taste and style. It is like Mac and Linux, we can argue till the cow come home.

I personally, like Nikon, Canon and even Pentax very much, but probably one should consider buying what their kakis have so it will be easier to get peer support and tips.

Last edited: