D60 vs D70 Dilemma (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepper said:
It is not that 2nd DSLR has no value, it is just that no one wants to buy it unless it is dirt cheap. I would advise everyone to stop dreaming of seliing their 2nd DSLR at high prices cos it just won't work.

I guess that's what i meant too. It's still a good cam, 3fps 8 frames, solid chassis with plastic outer frame, sensor won't spoil so fast, just change shutter. Quality is there since it's a dSLR. I will not pay too much for it, though there will still be people wanting to buy it at a "high" price even for a 2 year old+ used camera. Up to the individual, to each his own. :)

shutterfly said:
The fact the D60 is a good camera is making the decision hard. What is the lifespan of a DSLR? I am not talking abt shutter failure here. Shutter replacement I think is rather cheap but not the other parts like the sensor.

My advice to you is that if you like D60, try to get "discount" from your relative or else no point buying it so expensive when elsewhere is selling cheaper. :D It's a very good Cam in my opinion. Yes, D70 is not bad either for a new DSLR. Buy whichever suits your needs.. :D

Really its ur choice... its your money... if u dunno what to do with that money, we can always help u put the money to good use!!! :gbounce:

Pepper said:
Come to think of it, the fact is that nobody would want to pay too much for 2nd hand DSLR. Coz new ones are cheap these days and with warranty to go with it. Just pay a little more, you can even extend your warranty for another few years.

It is not that 2nd DSLR has no value, it is just that no one wants to buy it unless it is dirt cheap. I would advise everyone to stop dreaming of seliing their 2nd DSLR at high prices cos it just won't work. Come end of the year and next, with newer DSLR, 10D and D100 value will plunge. So how much do you think D60 is going to cost? Below $1000?

shutterfly why don't you help your cousin post a WTS D60 thread and see how many is willing to pay $1300 for it? If there is a big rush for it, then I'm proven wrong. Oh yes, remember to state how old the cam is. :)
its not about "dreaming" to sell used cams at exhorbitant prices. its about striking the right deal taking into consideration the condition of the cam.

anyway u mentioned "Come end of the year and next, with newer DSLR, 10D and D100 value will plunge. So how much do you think D60 is going to cost? Below $1000?". but dats only when a newer model meant as a direct replacement for the older model comes into the market. at the moment its still very much a seller's market. a 300D is not a replacement for the D60/10D. neither is a D70 a replacement for a D100. :nono:

nightwolf75 said:
hey, bro! long time no hear from u!

no lah! wat i meant was i rather spend a bit more and get a new set (which ever the model), and save me the headache of buying a lemon. damn leh chey bringing it in for servicing lah. but, dats my opinion only... :embrass:
dats a different story altogether then. the buyer muz b very sure, otherwise he/she wouldn't b buying a used model dats no longer in production. ;)

A new set is not without its problems. It may come with dead pixel, dusty CCD, focusing prob, etc. Sure you can bring it back for 1-1 exchange but it may take some time as demand far exceed supply at the moment. I sleep over this dilemma tonite. Hopefully can make a decision tomolo. :D

shutterfly said:
A new set is not without its problems. It may come with dead pixel, dusty CCD, focusing prob, etc. Sure you can bring it back for 1-1 exchange but it may take some time as demand far exceed supply at the moment. I sleep over this dilemma tonite. Hopefully can make a decision tomolo. :D
precisely. ultimately the choice is yours 2 make. run thru the features of both cams n c wat u need. there muz b a reason why u chose these 2 models. ;)

If you're inclined to choose the D70, do be aware of the moire issue as well - some ppl are not able to live with it.

imaginary_number said:
If you're inclined to choose the D70, do be aware of the moire issue as well - some ppl are not able to live with it.

How about D60? Aren't there any issues and flaws with that camera? You should at least help enlighten shutterfly the problems with D60 since you are a owner instead of pointing out flaws of camera you don't own or do you? :)

Well, I'd like to make this decision even harder :D I bother giving you my bull**** only b/c I was a happy D60 user b4.

Your dilemma is based on two facts:
-D70 is better b/c of warranty
-D60 is better b/c of cheaper price
Period.

The rest are all blah blah. Both are solid cameras that can last many years. Remember that most cameras are better than most photographers. So how good a camera performs is dependent on the man behind. The problem is: technology makes things cheaper and better, so as to make people more addictive in (unnecessary) upgrading. Just look at myself, one live example. :D

I tend to pro Nikon these days if anyone asks me which DSLR to start. But now I gotta give D60 a push. I'll chose the D60 for the following reasons:

1. Cheaper. Save your money on two good lenses 17-40/f4 and 70-200/f4. Then you really have a great SYSTEM to start.

2. Although D70 is bundled with a very good lens, but it's a DX lens which cannot be used on a film body!! Image if u wanna shoot both digital and film formats, will you buy two types of lenses? I personally don't like the DX design. Nikon save R&D from full frame but time will testify whether it is a mistake. I think FF is the way to go in the future.

3. D60 has the option of grip, which is very useful for portraiture and also increase the weight for balancing a longer lens. Personally I prefer the feel of D60 better than that of 1D.

The list can go on and on, but pointless. What u really need to decide is which SYSTEM to get. Both cameras will be or have been considered as acient stuff within a few years. Your photos will last longer. Cherish your decision. You cannot go wrong with either.

btw, if your relative really go crazy wanna sell around 1k and u dun want to buy, DO LET ME KNOW :D

tomshen said:
btw, if your relative really go crazy wanna sell around 1k and u dun want to buy, DO LET ME KNOW :D

If my relative wants to sell 1k, I will immediately take it.

brudder... Harvey Norman, as the name suggests, targets at those Foreign Talents in Sinkapore who will pay high price to shop in a nice stylish environment. We Singaporeans are best to shop at Cathay Photo, MS Color and TK Photo where the locals are welcome.

2100 said:
i see some of Harvey Norman's prices are very happening, but someway or another people are still buying. :bsmilie:

I'm currently using the Canon D60 and finds it a good camera. Many a times, folks don't bother to see what camera I took the picture with when I show them pictures. As such, I never borthered to upgrade to 10D or 300D. AF in low light don't seem to be a problem too.

Anyway...from what I've read, I'll give my 2 cents worth over the D60 vs D70 debate.

Get the Nikon D70.

1. You are starting a new system. Neither system has any real advantage/disadvantage over each other for general purpose photography.

2. You seem more inclined towards newer technology. D70 gives you peace of mind at the right price for now.

3. You seem cost concious (it's not a bad thing). Factor in the DX lens and the warranty. It may be cheaper to get D70.

4. Buying from relatives/friends can be troublesome when things go wrong.

As for my trusty D60, even if I get a new camera, I think I'll keep it as a spare body. I really like the feel of it.

Cheers,

taker said:
How about D60? Aren't there any issues and flaws with that camera? You should at least help enlighten shutterfly the problems with D60 since you are a owner instead of pointing out flaws of camera you don't own or do you? :)

Since you're asking me as an owner of the D60, you've to be aware that the significance of a flaw is relative to its user - and in all honesty, the D60 has served its purpose well in my regular event coverage and hence its flaws are not really significant in my context.

That said, I guess it's best that I had better make some clarifications to avoid making people overly sensitive. IMHO, the D70 is a very capable camera too and frankly speaking, I did consider getting one as well ('coz my partner uses a Nikon too) but was personally deterred by the moire issue. That was why I merely raised to his awareness this issue which I had taken note of, which might or might not matter to him.

Btw, I understand your genuine concern for shutterfly but if I may, I would suggest that perhaps it might be more useful for you to reply/advise him directly than just stand by the side and comment about other people's comments.

taker said:
which cam doesn't have its pros n cons? come on b honest about it. even the most expensive & pro cam isn't perfect.

it still boils down 2 every individual's budget, needs n expertise in operating the cam. we juz have 2 work within our means n the capabilities of the cam we choose 2 buy.

let's not turn this into a war of words. dun get so worked up dude. ;)

tomshen said:
Well, I'd like to make this decision even harder :D I bother giving you my bull**** only b/c I was a happy D60 user b4.

Your dilemma is based on two facts:
-D70 is better b/c of warranty
-D60 is better b/c of cheaper price
Period.

The rest are all blah blah. Both are solid cameras that can last many years. Remember that most cameras are better than most photographers. So how good a camera performs is dependent on the man behind. The problem is: technology makes things cheaper and better, so as to make people more addictive in (unnecessary) upgrading. Just look at myself, one live example. :D

I tend to pro Nikon these days if anyone asks me which DSLR to start. But now I gotta give D60 a push. I'll chose the D60 for the following reasons:

1. Cheaper. Save your money on two good lenses 17-40/f4 and 70-200/f4. Then you really have a great SYSTEM to start.

2. Although D70 is bundled with a very good lens, but it's a DX lens which cannot be used on a film body!! Image if u wanna shoot both digital and film formats, will you buy two types of lenses? I personally don't like the DX design. Nikon save R&D from full frame but time will testify whether it is a mistake. I think FF is the way to go in the future.

3. D60 has the option of grip, which is very useful for portraiture and also increase the weight for balancing a longer lens. Personally I prefer the feel of D60 better than that of 1D.

The list can go on and on, but pointless. What u really need to decide is which SYSTEM to get. Both cameras will be or have been considered as acient stuff within a few years. Your photos will last longer. Cherish your decision. You cannot go wrong with either.

i support all u've said, especially the last sentence! :bsmilie:

imaginary_number said:
Since you're asking me as an owner of the D60, you've to be aware that the significance of a flaw is relative to its user.
well said. a lotta stuff have been said about the D60. poor low light AF performance, its highest ISO setting being only 1000, LCD review of images having only 1 stage of zoom; juz 2 name a few.

r these "flaws" really dat important? r they even "flaws"? imho these r things dat can easily b overcome with experience. juz have 2 work harder on the photography side of things rather than being so technical all the time.

no consideration of the 300D? ;p good image quality in a lighter and cheaper body that AF as fast as 10D.

tomshen said:
You pple must be kidding!! What makes all of you think a used D60 should be 1k??? I can confirm that D60 is a highly capable camera and only the new technology makes it look older, but it is still one of the best tools available for any amateur use.

I don't know how good is D70 but I know D60 is side by side with D100, if not better in image quality.

If I still have my D60, will definitely not let go at a ridiculous 1k price.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: be reminded that 300D & D70 are not in the same league as D60 and 10D, with or without new technology.

E1g3 said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: be reminded that 300D & D70 are not in the same league as D60 and 10D, with or without new technology.

What the 300D can offer is already in excess of what many photographers use or can use on their cams.... so I think it's a good first option especially if Shutterfly wants to buy into the Canon system... the lens can be used on the next body he decides to buy in a few years time.... unless by that time every major manufacturer has decided to go 4/3s...

Status
Not open for further replies.