D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

thxs guys for the pointers....:thumbsup:

Bro those blur 'effect' are caused by depth of field. The distant of the subject, focal length and aperture affects the sharpness of the photo from the focus point. What you see in the pictures have shallow depth of field which low f-stop and long focal length lens were being used.

It can be achieve with almost all lens however the DOF intensity may varies with different lens. Tele, Macro, low f-stop lens may produce nicer and deeper shallow DOF photos.

Nice catch!

This is now commonly called "bokeh."

happy new year folks...newbie D5100 user here :cool:

Registered long time already.. now i got to post something.. hehe owned this camera !! :)

so, what lens most or u guys having? i want to buy lens, but just too many to choose from.. i currently have the stock and 50mm f/1.8..

uma-man said:
Registered long time already.. now i got to post something.. hehe owned this camera !! :)

so, what lens most or u guys having? i want to buy lens, but just too many to choose from.. i currently have the stock and 50mm f/1.8..

I think those 2 lens can last you quite sometime, don't buy for the sake of buying. Haha

Enjoy shoooooting!

Which field of interest you interested in? hehehe

im more to landscape, night light, portrait.. wana try zoom or wide lens?

378584_10150510025258532_585498531_8499013_17131354_n.jpg

298649_10150380201893532_585498531_8114249_806212764_n.jpg

37181_447709608531_585498531_5145650_7726905_n.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone! D5100 user here too... ^.^

New to d5100 as well, but love the image quality. Sharing 2 images on the first sunset of 2012.

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

wanna ask u guys....observe the picture below, on the top left n right corner, is this called vignetting? how do we avoid it? cos so far i only got it on my kit lens 18-55 when i zoom out n using landscape mode i think but so far i haven't noticed it in my UWA lens yet 10-20. thxs to enlighten....

wanna ask u guys....observe the picture below, on the top left n right corner, is this called vignetting? how do we avoid it? cos so far i only got it on my kit lens 18-55 when i zoom out n using landscape mode i think but so far i haven't noticed it in my UWA lens yet 10-20. thxs to enlighten....

Did you use any filter on your lens or did you stack filter or is there anything you put in front of your lens? I don't have such a problem for my 18-55mm...

1. Landscape would be those Ultra-wide lens, tripod and remote cable.

2. Night light you need tripod and remote cable release.

3. Portrait you can try your kit lens first or you ready for AFS 50mm 1.8 or the AFS 85mm 1.8.

What you going to shoot with zoom lens?

298649_10150380201893532_585498531_8114249_806212764_n.jpg

37181_447709608531_585498531_5145650_7726905_n.jpg

Last edited:
One at a time bro. Rent a lens if u want to test the lens or test ur interest (in case you dun like it).

UWA is commonly use for landscape but it's not limited to. Also, longer focal range are used at times for landscape as well. Rem, landscape is not abt getting the entire place of what you see into your frame but rather drawing out the beauty of a scene onto your frame. Use UWA when you have strong foreground interest while tighter focal when you want to isolate a feature from afar.

Portrait wise, a 50mm (my preference focal length on APS-C) would be a good start. If its possible, get a 2nd hand AFD version for low cost. Experience the effect of F/1.8, then decide from there.

Nightscape, you will definitely need a tripod. I rem when I was "young", I brought my D90 to boat quay after dark without tripod and shooting auto ISO. Man I was damn disappointed that night with underexposed grainy images. Remember, no filters after dark.

Last edited:
if i'm not wrong i used UV n CPL filters stacked with each other. that will cause it?

Did you use any filter on your lens or did you stack filter or is there anything you put in front of your lens? I don't have such a problem for my 18-55mm...

bro, about the "no filters after dark" thingy, how about UV or CPL? is it like more to "No" or "maybe under certain circumstances" kind of rules? thxs....

One at a time bro. Rent a lens if u want to test the lens or test ur interest (in case you dun like it).

UWA is commonly use for landscape but it's not limited to. Also, longer focal range are used at times for landscape as well. Rem, landscape is not abt getting the entire place of what you see into your frame but rather drawing out the beauty of a scene onto your frame. Use UWA when you have strong foreground interest while tighter focal when you want to isolate a feature from afar.

Portrait wise, a 50mm (my preference focal length on APS-C) would be a good start. If its possible, get a 2nd hand AFD version for low cost. Experience the effect of F/1.8, then decide from there.

Nightscape, you will definitely need a tripod. I rem when I was "young", I brought my D90 to boat quay after dark without tripod and shooting auto ISO. Man I was damn disappointed that night with underexposed grainy images. Remember, no filters after dark.

Konspire said:
bro, about the "no filters after dark" thingy, how about UV or CPL? is it like more to "No" or "maybe under certain circumstances" kind of rules? thxs....

It's better not to have the UV filter on and definitely not with the cpl. The cpl doesn't have much use at night and it reduces the amount of light entering your lens

if i'm not wrong i used UV n CPL filters stacked with each other. that will cause it?

Yes... of course.... the vignetting is caused by stacking of UV and CPL. remove one should solve the problem.

It's better not to have the UV filter on and definitely not with the cpl. The cpl doesn't have much use at night and it reduces the amount of light entering your lens

Just have UV filter will do... the filter is just to protect your front element from finger print or scratches. I learn a lesson from my previous experience. I was shooting fireworks some years back and happen that the wind was blowing at my direction, after that i notice some fireworks ashes landed on my lens UV lens filter. Those ashes actually burns off the coating on my filter. My heart feels very pain as it is a 77mm B+W filter which cost me around $120 that time. But think of it, it actually save my lens which cost 20 times more than the filter. The price for changing the front element of that lens would have cost me at least 3 times more than the B+W filter.

I still shoot with filter after dark. Filter is a must must on all my lens. And every lens that i own will have its own filter. Just use the UV filter would do.

Some cheaper lens or more economical lens will cause flare when you have filters mount on them. If you were to use the pro grade lens, you should not have this flare problem.

i see guys. it seems that each has their own preference and it's much better to get diff opinions to see the adv and disadv of each opinions. it's good though, learn from each other. i like that. i guess information n education is priceless n no harm sharing right? best u guys.....really helped me a lot alrdy....just need to shoot more n practice so that these things gets embedded inside the head faster..... :thumbsup: