D40 users come in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come list getting shorter. Who's the most updated.

How come list getting shorter. Who's the most updated.

Dun think list got shorter... the number was wrong...

after 57, the next number was 68... so the later person corrected it to 58...

Updated by chanjyj, 1314H, 14 September 2007

This is the latest version. Added Daneal79. Please UPDATE THE LIST YOURSELVES. Thank you.

Please update the thread yourselves!
1. Zaren
2. Hlyf
3. Psychobiologist (D200, D40/D80 sold)
4. BlueBull
5. IfourDesign
6. Helmiz
7. Six-GHz
8. Matthew1381
9. Samtcy (with one tripod totting hubby!)
10. Benson S A Chua
11. GriGri
12. Wing Oscar
13. geraldKhoo (with D200, sold D40x to friend... but still available for my use )
14. chanjyj (With D2x)
15. Mousedeer213
16. Clubgrit
17. monokydni
18. mysterio506
19. IceMocha
20. PhotoGiant (D40x with AF-S 18-200mm VRII. I lyke~!)
21. Mickie
22. Graphicz
23. Eidja
24. TennoRZ(since Dec'06)
25. anwask (D40 with 18-55,55-200) (Updated by chanjyj 1130H, 7 Sept 07)
26. neverneverever (D40x with SB-600)
27. damkuff
28. JillValentine
29. JeeT77 (since X'mas '06)
30. huoyun (d40 kit since jan 07)
31. czeno
32. vroom
33. kamiru
34. fusetrips
35. Jimny (Bought in Japan kit + 55-200 )
36. lloyds (since july 07)
37. shirak
38. Popeye gal (D40x - 18-200mm)
39. XiaoXian (re-entered by chanjyj)
40. csiwei
41. fungoer (with 55-200mm VR)
42. jeffng28 (D40X with 55-200VR)
43. Stray Sheep (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> from COMEX 07
44. deathwiz (D40 + 18-200VR)
45. KeefeSNAP (due to 1/500 flash sync speed)
46. popiah123
47. konahead (D40 kit + 55-200mm VR + SB400)
48. steadyshot
49. guiii (D40 + 18-135mm)
50. jayzzz
51. danielwu0808
52. tigereye19
53. Starspurz (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> also just from COMEX 07
54. lsisaxon --> Not mine.. Company bought a D40kit and it just arrived this morning.
55. yxannes (entered by chanjyj upon user request 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
56. dscans (entered by chanjyj 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
57. augustai (D40 with AF-S 18-200mm VR II) (entered by chanjyj upon user request 2129H, 11 Sept 2007)
58. redpills (Sigma 30mm f/1.4) (entered by chanjyj 2212H, 11 Sept 2007)
59. kudos
60. Daneal79 (entered by chanjyj 1314H, 14 Sept 2007

heya ppl, just upgraded from a prosumer to a D40 kit. Got a good deal too. Brand new set with 2GB card and a nikon bag for $800!

I was contemplating on the D40, D40X & the Canon 400D but i recently sold off my camera and got cash + lens so it was all down to the nikon cameras. I guess after reading up alot of articles and comments, the D40 would be sufficient for the time being.

The camera is really nice to hold..i figure its just about right..but then again, im still very new to photography so i still have got lots to learn.

Anyways, im using the D40 w/ kit lens + i have a nikkor 55-200 (non-VR) lens. Bought a dry box but im having some problems bringing the RH to below 50. I should have bought a dry cabinet instead! oh well...perhaps in the future.

Peace!
Daneal79

I personally do not have a dry cabinet, but I have my own "home made" dry boy that is really good. I think it is better than an official "dry box" because of the total surface area that the silica gel can react with the air around it.

Basically, I purchase a large "Lock and Lock" box. The box has a base thingy inside the box. The 2 model of the box I use is HPL885 and HPL838.

I remove the inside base and pour the silica gel. I place the inside base over the silica gel and then put my camera and lenses on it.

Because the inside base is like a grill thing with many openings, the silica gel can very effectively react with the air in the box. I have seen one of those dry boxes with a meter on it, and the silica gel is placed on the top of the dry box, and the openings for the silica gel to react with the air in the box is not very large.

When the silica gel starts to turn pink, I will either fry them or microwave them.

Well... this works for me ;)

I personally do not have a dry cabinet, but I have my own "home made" dry boy that is really good. I think it is better than an official "dry box" because of the total surface area that the silica gel can react with the air around it.

Basically, I purchase a large "Lock and Lock" box. The box has a base thingy inside the box. The 2 model of the box I use is HPL885 and HPL838.

I remove the inside base and pour the silica gel. I place the inside base over the silica gel and then put my camera and lenses on it.

Because the inside base is like a grill thing with many openings, the silica gel can very effectively react with the air in the box. I have seen one of those dry boxes with a meter on it, and the silica gel is placed on the top of the dry box, and the openings for the silica gel to react with the air in the box is not very large.

When the silica gel starts to turn pink, I will either fry them or microwave them.

If you use AF-S lens, be careful because if it gets too dry, the lubricant in the lens may dry up and the AF-S will jam.

Also, if you're sing the pink-blue silica gel, be cautioned that the indicator used cobalt chloride is potentially carcinogenic. There are supposed to be orange-green silica gel which is not using cobalt chloride as indicator but I can't seem to find them here.

Best to invest in a dry cabinet, at least you get to adjust the humidity level you need.

If you use AF-S lens, be careful because if it gets too dry, the lubricant in the lens may dry up and the AF-S will jam.

Also, if you're sing the pink-blue silica gel, be cautioned that the indicator used cobalt chloride is potentially carcinogenic. There are supposed to be orange-green silica gel which is not using cobalt chloride as indicator but I can't seem to find them here.

Best to invest in a dry cabinet, at least you get to adjust the humidity level you need.

Hey... if you find the orange-green silica gel, do tell me where to get them. I am using an old frying pan to do the job.

I also heard about drying out the lubricant... is this only for AF-S lenses?

Hey... if you find the orange-green silica gel, do tell me where to get them. I am using an old frying pan to do the job.

I also heard about drying out the lubricant... is this only for AF-S lenses?

Yeah.. it's only for the AF-S lenses. The ultrasonic motor seems to be quite sensitive and there are many cases of AF-S lenses squeaking if you search this subforum. ;p

This might be a good read regarding silica gels.
http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/cobaltchloride.htm#SELF-INDICATING (BLUE) SILICA GEL.

You chemist or engineer? ;p
First you spout a pile of cheem engineer material that made me sleepy while reading and now you can talk about cobalt chloride *faints*
(Good thing you never mention the meaning of carcinogenic or I will faint because you have invaded into my domain :bsmilie:)

well your method is pretty innovative..and it certainly doesnt cost you much eh?

You are right..my box has a silica gel pack placed on top and to be honest, im still having trouble getting the rh to go below 60! anyways, its a digicab so i guess its pretty much a reliable product (i hope so! haha) anyways, i went down to a hardware store today and i got myself a wireless dehumidifier. costs around $20. apparently, moisture is collected in a crystal like glass and once it turns pink, all you have to do is plug it in a socket for about 6 hours till it turns blue and you're all set.

its still charging up so i cant give any feedback on its effects yet! something thing tells me i should have just coughed up a few extra dollars for a 30l dry cabinet instead! LOL

Yeah.. it's only for the AF-S lenses. The ultrasonic motor seems to be quite sensitive and there are many cases of AF-S lenses squeaking if you search this subforum. ;p

This might be a good read regarding silica gels.
http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/cobaltchloride.htm#SELF-INDICATING (BLUE) SILICA GEL.

hmmm....i guess ill have to make sure the rh levels dont drop below 40 then! i certainly dont want squeaky lenses! err..there's so much stuff to learn about photography and now ill have to read up on silica gels too...booohooo :bigeyes:

anyways, i went down to a hardware store today and i got myself a wireless dehumidifier. costs around $20. apparently, moisture is collected in a crystal like glass and once it turns pink, all you have to do is plug it in a socket for about 6 hours till it turns blue and you're all set.

hah my combination is urs and geraldkhoo's! :bsmilie:

i got a tupperware box from my mom, place my kit + 55-200mm VR inside WITH the portable dehumidifier inside (bought the $1199 deal @ Comex) thankfully the box is big enuff

so far it hasn't change color yet :think:

hah my combination is urs and geraldkhoo's! :bsmilie:

:

cool! so with the dehumidifier in the box, what's your RH readings? i think my 10L box is too small. got my D40, 55-200 lens and its already almost full! :(

so far it hasn't change color yet :think:

... that's because you haven't been using your lens! :sweatsm:

One thing I learnt from the past (see my dad using biscuit tins and tupperwares) is that you wouldn't want to fry the silica gels on a frying pan (it stinks), so cams and lens are usually mothballed.

So now I got a digicab, and I can use as and when I like.

cool! so with the dehumidifier in the box, what's your RH readings? i think my 10L box is too small. got my D40, 55-200 lens and its already almost full! :(

eh i have nothing to read the RH manz.. any recommendations??

... that's because you haven't been using your lens! :sweatsm:

true.. busy with my FYP la..

Having too low a RH is not good for electronics either. IIRC the optimum is about 20-30%

There's no way to gauge the humidity if you're using containers. So long you open it and the interior feels cool it's pretty alright. But that would mean your container lao hong already!

true.. busy with my FYP la..
Despite your busy schedule, use it!:thumbsup:

Having too low a RH is not good for electronics either. IIRC the optimum is about 20-30%
Base on instruction manual, 45-50% would be the optimum.

40% is enough to jam AF-S. I can't imagine 20-30%. ;p

eh...i think it would be better to keep track of the RH. Readings that go either way on the spectrum will do harm to your equipment! i guess its safe to say we should keep the reading between 45-55%

You can get a hydrometer (something like that) from camera shops or hardware stores. it'll probably cost 20-30 i think.

My digicab dry box had one attached to it. Cost me $35 for the box but it can only store the body plus 2 additional lenses along with my dehumidifier device

There's no way to gauge the humidity if you're using containers. So long you open it and the interior feels cool it's pretty alright. But that would mean your container lao hong already!

yup it's pretty cool inside.. shld b alright ba.. Tupperware containers :thumbsup:

will keep a lookout for hygrometers.. BBB!!! :bsmilie:

anywaes, anyone had experiences bring DSLR to beaches? I'm planning for a trip to Krabi, Thailand and need some advices! (i.e. shld i bring my d40 there in the 1st place, care for dslr, things to look out for)

Status
Not open for further replies.