D40 users come in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh eh.. relax... I don't know the performance of the 18-50mm Sigma. For so cheap a price (cheaper than the 30mm prime) I am... apprehensive. If you can find online reviews pls link here.. I too busy these few days. ;p

OOPS. Mistake. 18-200 is $820, 18-50 is $660. I mixed up the pricing in previous posts

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Unable to find reviews for the particular lenses BUT found these instead. Enjoy.

I'm thinking of D80 too, but I believe I've yet to master everything a D40 can do... and of course being frowned at by my finance minister! Duh!:sweat:

D40 is a good platform for those newbies and dslr enthusiast...

maybe a good dinner and shopping can help with ur finance minister... hehhe...

Please update the thread yourselves!

Lukesky added 2140 25th Sept 2007

1. Zaren
2. Hlyf
3. Psychobiologist (D200, D40/D80 sold)
4. BlueBull
5. IfourDesign
6. Helmiz
7. Six-GHz
8. Matthew1381
9. Samtcy (with one tripod totting hubby!)
10. Benson S A Chua
11. GriGri
12. Wing Oscar
13. geraldKhoo (with D200, sold D40x to friend... but still available for my use )
14. chanjyj (With D2x)
15. Mousedeer213
16. Clubgrit
17. monokydni
18. mysterio506
19. IceMocha
20. PhotoGiant (D40x with AF-S 18-200mm VRII. I lyke~!)
21. Mickie
22. Graphicz
23. Eidja
24. TennoRZ(since Dec'06)
25. anwask (D40 with 18-55,55-200) (Updated by chanjyj 1130H, 7 Sept 07)
26. neverneverever (D40x with SB-600)
27. damkuff
28. JillValentine
29. JeeT77 (since X'mas '06)
30. huoyun (d40 kit since jan 07)
31. czeno
32. vroom
33. kamiru
34. fusetrips
35. Jimny (Bought in Japan kit + 55-200 )
36. lloyds (since july 07)
37. shirak
38. Popeye gal (D40x - 18-200mm)
39. XiaoXian (re-entered by chanjyj)
40. csiwei
41. fungoer (with 55-200mm VR)
42. jeffng28 (D40X with 55-200VR)
43. Stray Sheep (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> from COMEX 07
44. deathwiz (D40 + 18-200VR)
45. KeefeSNAP (due to 1/500 flash sync speed)
46. popiah123
47. konahead (D40 kit + 55-200mm VR + SB400)
48. steadyshot
49. guiii (D40 + 18-135mm)
50. jayzzz
51. danielwu0808
52. tigereye19
53. Starspurz (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> also just from COMEX 07
54. lsisaxon --> Not mine.. Company bought a D40kit and it just arrived this morning.
55. yxannes (entered by chanjyj upon user request 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
56. dscans (entered by chanjyj 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
57. augustai (just sold my D40) (updated on 16 Sept 2007 by augustai)
58. redpills (Sigma 30mm f/1.4) (entered by chanjyj 2212H, 11 Sept 2007)
59. kudos
60. Daneal79 (entered by chanjyj 1314H, 14 Sept 2007)
61. Astroman (entered by chanjyj 2057H, 19 Sept 2007)
62. Amaury
63. Lukesky

is there anywhere selling just D40 alone without the kit ? Grey or warrenty set i dont mind

snapperz added 26th Sept 2007;)

1. Zaren
2. Hlyf
3. Psychobiologist (D200, D40/D80 sold)
4. BlueBull
5. IfourDesign
6. Helmiz
7. Six-GHz
8. Matthew1381
9. Samtcy (with one tripod totting hubby!)
10. Benson S A Chua
11. GriGri
12. Wing Oscar
13. geraldKhoo (with D200, sold D40x to friend... but still available for my use )
14. chanjyj (With D2x)
15. Mousedeer213
16. Clubgrit
17. monokydni
18. mysterio506
19. IceMocha
20. PhotoGiant (D40x with AF-S 18-200mm VRII. I lyke~!)
21. Mickie
22. Graphicz
23. Eidja
24. TennoRZ(since Dec'06)
25. anwask (D40 with 18-55,55-200) (Updated by chanjyj 1130H, 7 Sept 07)
26. neverneverever (D40x with SB-600)
27. damkuff
28. JillValentine
29. JeeT77 (since X'mas '06)
30. huoyun (d40 kit since jan 07)
31. czeno
32. vroom
33. kamiru
34. fusetrips
35. Jimny (Bought in Japan kit + 55-200 )
36. lloyds (since july 07)
37. shirak
38. Popeye gal (D40x - 18-200mm)
39. XiaoXian (re-entered by chanjyj)
40. csiwei
41. fungoer (with 55-200mm VR)
42. jeffng28 (D40X with 55-200VR)
43. Stray Sheep (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> from COMEX 07
44. deathwiz (D40 + 18-200VR)
45. KeefeSNAP (due to 1/500 flash sync speed)
46. popiah123
47. konahead (D40 kit + 55-200mm VR + SB400)
48. steadyshot
49. guiii (D40 + 18-135mm)
50. jayzzz
51. danielwu0808
52. tigereye19
53. Starspurz (D40 & 55- 200VR) --> also just from COMEX 07
54. lsisaxon --> Not mine.. Company bought a D40kit and it just arrived this morning.
55. yxannes (entered by chanjyj upon user request 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
56. dscans (entered by chanjyj 1729H, 11 Sept 2007)
57. augustai (just sold my D40) (updated on 16 Sept 2007 by augustai)
58. redpills (Sigma 30mm f/1.4) (entered by chanjyj 2212H, 11 Sept 2007)
59. kudos
60. Daneal79 (entered by chanjyj 1314H, 14 Sept 2007)
61. Astroman (entered by chanjyj 2057H, 19 Sept 2007)
62. Amaury
63. Lukesky
64. snapperz

It is important to findout more about a lens before buying it.

For these 2 lenses... not much reviews... but if it is based on its predecessors (non-HSM lenses)... you can check out the following site:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Thanks =)
Cause I highly doubt I'll ever buy the 17-55mm lens (me al-cheapo) yet not willing to put down much for a fast lens which gives terrible IQ (Eg. Canon EF 28-80mm)

hi guys,

is this offer by Harvey Norman good enough?

D40 kit - $998
2GB SD Card
Nikon Bag & Tripod
Free Extended Warranty (3 yrs. total)

and option to purchase 55-200mm VR lens @ $299 <- is this a good buy?

the salesman seems generous, what else should I ask if I can still squeeze him?

Hi guys,

I am new... just bought a new D40x over the weekend... Yesterday night took my son to the park.. As it was quite dark, I adjusted ISO to 1600... even though pictures taken were bright enuff... they were blur leh... How to overcome this?

Also, normally which mode do u use? I can use P and auto (BTW, what is the diff between these two? seems like pic look similar).. But then when I switch to M mode, cannot capture anything leh..

Lastly, how to adjust shutter speed?

As I m a newbie... so really need some advice here... Thanks

hi guys,

D40 kit - $998
2GB SD Card
Nikon Bag & Tripod

55-200mm VR at 299 is cheap!!!

but.. make sure its VR VR VR.. vibration reduction.. if not VR.. its too ex!

Hi guys,

I am new... just bought a new D40x over the weekend... Yesterday night took my son to the park.. As it was quite dark, I adjusted ISO to 1600... even though pictures taken were bright enuff... they were blur leh... How to overcome this?

Also, normally which mode do u use? I can use P and auto (BTW, what is the diff between these two? seems like pic look similar).. But then when I switch to M mode, cannot capture anything leh..

in M mode, you have to hold down one of the buttons to "rotate" the dial to adjust the shutter speed.

iso 1600, you have to see your hand held stability, for me i can hold stabily at 1/30s 100%, so it depends on how dim the place is, if its too dim, shutter speed too slow, lens not fast enough.. you may have camera shake that results in blur photos

in M mode, you have to hold down one of the buttons to "rotate" the dial to adjust the shutter speed.

iso 1600, you have to see your hand held stability, for me i can hold stabily at 1/30s 100%, so it depends on how dim the place is, if its too dim, shutter speed too slow, lens not fast enough.. you may have camera shake that results in blur photos

psycho, I think you need to explain what is ISO, what is shutter, what is aperture and the relation between all of the 3 i.e. slower shutter allows more light to come in, but at the expense of subject movement, larger aperture allows more light to come in, but at the expense of DOF, higher ISO allows more light to blah blah at the expense of noise/grain

Sorry ;p.. I only know how to explain in terms of light captured by film/ccd.. anything else I am a... terrible teacher I think-must look for psycho

hi guys,

D40 kit - $998
2GB SD Card
Nikon Bag & Tripod

u can buy D40 kit at $850 inc GST plus the 2GB SD. So u're paying nearly $150 for tripod, bag and the extended warranty... I'd say the deal is good if u're planning on selling it in future cos the warranty will come in handy. Then again, their extended warranty got a lot of caveats and fine print so doesnt mean got 3 years warranty means everything also free during that time.

u can buy D40 kit at $850 inc GST plus the 2GB SD. So u're paying nearly $150 for tripod, bag and the extended warranty... I'd say the deal is good if u're planning on selling it in future cos the warranty will come in handy. Then again, their extended warranty got a lot of caveats and fine print so doesnt mean got 3 years warranty means everything also free during that time.

anywhere selling without kit ? be it grey or warranty set ? seriously dont need the kit lens and all the extras .

And dont think i can easily sell off the brand new kit lens right ?

hi guys,

D40 kit - $998
2GB SD Card
Nikon Bag & Tripod

Squeeze a dry box from him...

Hi,

Don't think you can buy D40 without the kit. Only the D40x gives you this option. So the only way is to buy the D40 new complete. Unless you managed to find someone who has already sold the kit lens and now wants to sell the body. But I think you might find it rare.

By the way, the kit lens is not too bad either for it's price.

anywhere selling without kit ? be it grey or warranty set ? seriously dont need the kit lens and all the extras .

And dont think i can easily sell off the brand new kit lens right ?

Hi guys,

To understand what each of this is, i.e. ISO, shutter, aperture, etc... you can go to wikipedia and do a search. It does give pretty good explanation. Understand the relationship of these 3 things with one another.

In short, blurred shots (not necessarily bad depending on what the photographer wants to achieve) come about in 2 basic ways:

1. The photographer shakes the camera while the shutter is open.
2. The subject moves while the shutter is open.

In situation (1) things like breathing techniques have to be employed in taking pictures. Basically, what happens is that the camera moves while the shutter is open to capture the picture, so the picture becomes blur. To learn shooting techniques is like learning how to shoot a rifle in the army. Another way to overcome is to use a tripod, or make the shutter faster (which means it will cut the light to the sensor).

In situation (2), the shutter is slower than the movement of the subject, so while the shutter is open, the subject moves, so the subject becomes blur. To overcome this form of blurness is to make the shutter faster (which will cut the amount of light in to the sensor).

You can try out different shutter speeds in S mode and see the effects of it. To adjust shutter, go to S mode, press INFO to see the current setting, and turn the jog-dial and you were see the shutter speed change on the info screen.

One good way to see the effects is to shoot running water or a waterfall.

I hope the following image turns out:

n586149054_128734_2221.jpg

If you see the image above, I purposely slowed the shutter speed to create a blurred effect of the people walking. But behind the blurred walking people are people who are clear because they are standing still. When the shutter is open, the the people walking were moving (hence blur) and the people standing were not (hence clear). This picture was taken with a D40x and I placed the camera on a firm base, and set a timer for the shutter release so that my pressing the button would not shake the camera.

I usually shoot in aperture (A) mode. I use manual (M) mode when all the other modes fail to capture what I want. To learn to use a DSLR camera, pls do not use the green AUTO mode... you won't learn much and would feel like this is a P&S camera. Read the manual and experiment on the different modes.

Hope this helps...

Hi,

Don't think you can buy D40 without the kit. Only the D40x gives you this option. So the only way is to buy the D40 new complete. Unless you managed to find someone who has already sold the kit lens and now wants to sell the body. But I think you might find it rare.

well ... coz i already got the 18-70 so i really dont need another kit lens . Anybody interested in just the 18-55 mk2 kit lens only ? Drop me a pm then when i am buying the cam brand new u can follow me and get the lens .

Hi,

D40x doesn't sell without kt, as far as I know

To understand what each of this is, i.e. ISO, shutter, aperture, etc... you can go to wikipedia and do a search. It does give pretty good explanation. Understand the relationship of these 3 things with one another.

In short, blurred shots (not necessarily bad depending on what the photographer wants to achieve) come about in 2 basic ways:

1. The photographer shakes the camera while the shutter is open.
2. The subject moves while the shutter is open.

In situation (1) things like breathing techniques have to be employed in taking pictures. Basically, what happens is that the camera moves while the shutter is open to capture the picture, so the picture becomes blur. To learn shooting techniques is like learning how to shoot a rifle in the army. Another way to overcome is to use a tripod, or make the shutter faster (which means it will cut the light to the sensor).

In situation (2), the shutter is slower than the movement of the subject, so while the shutter is open, the subject moves, so the subject becomes blur. To overcome this form of blurness is to make the shutter faster (which will cut the amount of light in to the sensor).

You can try out different shutter speeds in S mode and see the effects of it. To adjust shutter, go to S mode, press INFO to see the current setting, and turn the jog-dial and you were see the shutter speed change on the info screen.

One good way to see the effects is to shoot running water or a waterfall.

I hope the following image turns out:

n586149054_128734_2221.jpg

If you see the image above, I purposely slowed the shutter speed to create a blurred effect of the people walking. But behind the blurred walking people are people who are clear because they are standing still. When the shutter is open, the the people walking were moving (hence blur) and the people standing were not (hence clear). This picture was taken with a D40x and I placed the camera on a firm base, and set a timer for the shutter release so that my pressing the button would not shake the camera.

I usually shoot in aperture (A) mode. I use manual (M) mode when all the other modes fail to capture what I want. To learn to use a DSLR camera, pls do not use the green AUTO mode... you won't learn much and would feel like this is a P&S camera. Read the manual and experiment on the different modes.

Hope this helps...

Actually buddy.. I erm... use DSLRs in P mode (not auto) all the time ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.