D40 or 2nd Hand D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
dilemma in choosing a DSLR for beginner,
all the while i've been using PnS but wanna go for an upgrade but wanna get something cheap to learn first, initially want to get prosumer but guess i shouldn't be wasting time on that...
any suggestions on this?
some also suggest i get a 350D... haiz... dilemma
please help...
THANKS

My 2nd hand D70 has served me well since i took up this hobby 10 months ago. Looking at the prices at B&S section, they are going for a steal recently.

Gimme a call then. I would be back in SG for a short spell from 3rd week of June onwards.
yes we should ketchup...but, lost your number :dunno:

pop in to RCC and PM me can ;)

thanks for the advices...
looks like the D70s is the machine to go for the moment...
since i'm a newbie towards DSLR that've yet to even touch a prosumer before...
haha :)
anyway shall see if got good lobangs to join the DSLR group of buddies here lor...
:)
scarli i stike 4D, than can get D80 liao :D

D70 is notorious for the Blooming due to the electronic shutter I believe....but somehow I could surpress it with f8 and beyond previously...but it became apparent again with my new big mama....so you can understand my frustation :bheart:

Yes it is due to the electronic shuttle (1/500-1/8000) so the key does not lie with the apperture setting. If you slow down the shuttle speed to below 1/500 (lower ISO, use 8xND filter, smaller apperture, etc) the bloom problem should go away :)

sorry lah bro...it's just that the pricing for a used d50 comes really close to the pricing for the new d40 kit...and in fact might just dip below lor...

i think i still have a preference for the d40 tho...cos i am not anticipating advancing over the kit lens, the 55-200 VR zoom and possibly a 50mm f1.4 prime (hopefully released in AF-S)...money's the issue and the empress dowager will chop me up and make curry if i spend too much...:bsmilie:
you muz be kidding... I seeing a lot of d50 bodies going at about 600, some even as low as 500... + a 18-55 which most probably will fetch 150, thats only 750 which is still about $200 off from a d40 kit.

you muz be kidding... I seeing a lot of d50 bodies going at about 600, some even as low as 500... + a 18-55 which most probably will fetch 150, thats only 750 which is still about $200 off from a d40 kit.
dang it, so far i've only seen 1 in WTS/WTB section leh...now i am back in that dilemma...d'oh...thanks for the enlightenment...i still have a bit of time to think, look and choose...at least till end june ;)

that is if you can afford it... :thumbsup:
do you know how much the AF-S 17-55 cost? :sweat:

In the near future price of AF-S should drop.
Its like discman and walkman ma. When discs came out, people owning walkmans confirm say cds so expensive. I got so many cassettes le. And the sound quality ok ma. Not noticeable. Cos they used to the quality le.
But with discmans, will Sony continue walkmans? Yes... but less. New discman technology will come out and price will drop.

Anyway, D40 is light and nice. I just got it 2 weeks ago. I don't see myself getting any other lenses soon. Gotta learn to maximise the kit first.
You gotta ask yourself what type of photographer are you. Are you like everyone here, so engrossed into shooting? Are you going to bring 4 or 5 lenses when you go out?
Its all about your needs. People recommend but based on their own preferences. Ask yourself what you need :p

Ha, ha, I find it strange that there are still recommendations for the discontinued D70 and D50. I actually got rid of 2 units of of the D70 because of recurring and inherent problems. Jumped to Pentax and I'm a happy camper. Seriously, the K100D is an excellent camera that will serve the beginner or serious enthusiast well. Why buy a used body when you can pick a K100D with kit lens for less than S$900 new. :thumbsup:

In the near future price of AF-S should drop.
Its like discman and walkman ma. When discs came out, people owning walkmans confirm say cds so expensive. I got so many cassettes le. And the sound quality ok ma. Not noticeable. Cos they used to the quality le.
But with discmans, will Sony continue walkmans? Yes... but less. New discman technology will come out and price will drop.

Anyway, D40 is light and nice. I just got it 2 weeks ago. I don't see myself getting any other lenses soon. Gotta learn to maximise the kit first.
You gotta ask yourself what type of photographer are you. Are you like everyone here, so engrossed into shooting? Are you going to bring 4 or 5 lenses when you go out?
Its all about your needs. People recommend but based on their own preferences. Ask yourself what you need :p
then you can wait for it to drop 1st, i rather get a body and some lens to play and maybe upgrade. (like you say, its cheaper in future :bsmilie: ), by that time maybe the d40x is also discountinued.
btw af-s have been there for a pretty long time, at least 5yrs.

was quoted S$ 1650 for D80 kit by a shop in penisular plaza
and another shop selling S$ 1600 for D80 kit
is it worth considering compared to established outlet like AP and CP?

was quoted S$ 1650 for D80 kit by a shop in penisular plaza
and another shop selling S$ 1600 for D80 kit
is it worth considering compared to established outlet like AP and CP?

Do a search for peninsula plaza nightmares and you'll have your answer. Make sure you see the entire set, verify everything is there and working before handing over your money. Do not get conned into buying accessories for 5x the real price.

hmmm... can anyone tell me what are the things listed as "entire set"?
coz its considered quite a bargain compared to other shops i've asked in Sim Lim where they quoted at least 1800

D80 kit? Comes with a Nikon D80 camera, with battery, charger and manuals and CDs in the box. The kit comes with a Nikkor 18-135mm lens, with front and rear caps and a hood (correct me if I'm wrong). Pretty standard "set" ba.

Possible places :-
> Lords Camera, Lucky Plaza (look for James)
> MS Color Ang Mo Kio (look for Florence)
> Alan Photo (not so sure... )
> Cathay Photo
> TK Photo
and others. I believe somebody has compiled a list of shops and their addresses somewhere in this forum.

thankfully PC Show is around the corner,
maybe can recce around there to see if they provide better offer :)
must get before extra 2% GST!

I

So, you did not consider the D40x and bought a D40. Please share your keys reason for making the decision.

I'm seriously thinking a D40x or just a D40 and buy the 55-200 VR later.

I'm thinking, if I need to upgrade the body, a D40 is cheaper to dump and the price different can pay for more than 1/2 of the 55-200 VR. Share share your thots.

Status
Not open for further replies.