Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i am sorry if i offended someone.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

do you know the impact if the psycho bus ram you from behind?
do you know most cyclist die because the taxi in front of them suddenly turn in and brake?

If you are a parent, i am sure if your children want to cycle, you would also seriously tell them NOT to cycle on the road. It is dangerous. :(

Bike speed can be fatal. You can try cycling and bang into a tree. The injuries should be similar to be bang by a bicycle.

As a parent, if I think it is dangerous to cycle on the road, I will get them not to cycle.

The only relevant provisions that I found:

Rule 8 of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules:

Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Rule 10

No bicycle shall be ridden or propelled otherwise than in an orderly manner and with due regard for the safety of others.

once, i was told this by a pedestrian. when asked 'who say so'. they are dumbfounded.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

do you know most cyclist die because the taxi in front of them suddenly turn in and brake?

If you are a parent, i am sure if your children want to cycle, you would also seriously tell them NOT to cycle on the road. It is dangerous. :(

are you sure about the speed will not cause serious injury to pedestrain?

what if it a pregnent woman, or a person carrying a baby, an elderly. not only you have just offended people, but you just prove to us you are a dnagerous biker!!!

sorry to use this as an example, just imagine it is your pregnent wife or sister who get run down by a biker who thinks like you!! what say you now!!

You didn't offend me at all.

But I am just appalled at the attitude you are taking. The "bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian", so it makes it right??? So it is ok to run into someone and cause an injury but it is ok because it is not serious. Are you even reading what you are writing???? It's idiots like you who make even walking on the sidewalk a hazard.

Me offended, far from it, right now I am just pretty angry at your total lack of consideration and still trying to justify your stance on riding on the sidewalk?

i've once banged into a middle aged man during the wee hours. it was like 2am if i'm not wrong. he came outta the void deck and i was sorta cycling straight and it was just like a T-junction. no time to react and i just banged into him. but i did try to slow down a lil'. he was hit like abit but i flew overhead and landed in the small drain.

i was more worried bout his physical condition than myself though i know i was in more pain than him. if it's the cyclist fault by cycling on the pathments and hitting someone, please apologise. if not, cycling on the road, will the car say sorry to my life?

you ask your question, u get your answer lor. by law, you're not supposed to even be on the pavement. you have your reasons for doing so, fair enough. but the pedestrian still has right of way.

wow! such strong reactions. seriously, if a cyclist see a pregnant woman walking on the pavement, any cyclist would slow down and stop and glide across. ;p chill man.. :cool:

my main point is that some people are really "attitude" and really don't like to give a little way for bikers. this is the only thing i don't understand, we can share the pavement right?

there are many different types of bikes

mountain bikes
road bikes
bmx bikes
lady bike
malay custom bike i see around now :sweatsm: hip hop kind with music

bikes on the pavement are usually mountain bikes, bmx bikes, lady bike. really. look around.
the gears are usually not as high as roadies. this is not tour de france :bsmilie:

the speed is seriously not going to cause anybody to die. maybe a few scratches. that's it.
no one is seriously going to get injured. if not why Japan encourages people to cycle on the pavement? really look around at the biker next time on the pavement. We don't speed that much. we just want to share the road is that too much to ask? :cry:

like i said, dont talk so big untill you have experience yourself (your family being the victim rundown by bicycle). talk is cheap. i suggest you ask the views of your family members (especially the ladies) under the scenerio i brought up before you open your mouth.

chill man :cool:

if any of your family member got run over by a bike and died, i am really sorry, please accept my apologies.

but if you have a brother/sister or relative riding a road bike/ mountain bike on the road and got killed by a bus / taxi, they would understand where i am coming from.

This is not tour de france. pavement bikes in singapore are the really slow types. we antipicate stuff happening so we don't speed. really. maybe there are a few really crazy black sheep in singapore that speed on the pavement, but the majority are really the " i want to buy some chicken rice" cycle to hawker food centre kind. ok?

the speed is seriously not going to cause anybody to die. maybe a few scratches. that's it.
no one is seriously going to get injured.
So if a pedestrian pushes you off your bike while you're riding on the pavement, it's okay? You won't die what, only a few scratches. :dunno:

We don't speed that much. we just want to share the road is that too much to ask? :cry:
Don't forget sharing goes both ways. What you said doesn't sound like sharing at all.

Dennis, I guess there is no point trying to reason with this guy. He just doesn't get it.

I guess that is to be expected of someone who is so selfish and inconsiderate. There is no cure for stupidity and I think we have done all we can...it is a lost cause.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

I am just waiting for the day someone runs him, his wife or his kid over with a bicycle and then turns around and says sorry and rides off. Scratches only what...no problem lah.

He said "some people are really "attitude" and really don't like to give a little way for bikers", do we have to?? I don't think so. You should be so lucky that the police are not enforcing the law that pavements are only for pedestrians but with clowns like you running around I think they should.

Stop bringing Japan into the picture, this is Singapore we are talking about, different culture, different mentality. What works for one country doesn't necessarily work for another. Please come up with a better argument. If you like Japan so much maybe you should go live there and bring your bicycle there with you.

What an asinine way of thinking!!!

Jeez, I think someone fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down or been hitting that crack pipe a little too hard.

There is a reason they call it the pedestrain walkway. It is an offence to cycle on the pavement but the law is not enforced here. Long time ago when bicycles require lights and registration plates, I was fined for riding without a light and yes, cycling on the pavement. I've had many near misses with cyclist while walking on the pavement. Some even weave through people at the bus stops. I was sitting down waiting for a bus once and got up when the bus arrived and a cyclist almost knock me down. He did not even apologise but scolded me instead:angry:. Another hazzard is at a zebra crossing. Cyclist just zoom across thinking that they have the right of way. Actually that is called pedestrian crossing so guess who they are made for. Cyclist are supposed to alight from their bicycle and push it across.

I guess you need to see the other side of the coin. Put yourself in the shoes of the pedestrians and not whine about it. Safe riding to all.

i guess there are cyclists and there are anti-cyclists. if singapore is ruled by the anti-cyclists, we would have one set of rules. Aleoca would problably closed down. Mr Goh and Han would problably sell something else.

I just find it weird to see so many fervert anti-cyclists here. Really no middle ground is it? funny thing i have been knocked down by bikes before. scratches. maybe blue black. that's it. the impact of the bike tyre is there but not much, the momentum is not really that high. mass X velocity. Assuming it is a alloy bike weight of the rider combined with bike maybe 14 kg, person 65kg.
79 X 3 m/s = 237 kgm/s

compared to get hit by a 3 tonner ( really unlucky )

3000 X 13.89 m/s ( avg 50km/hr ) = 41670 kgm/s

which is more fatal? Seriously i have been knocked down before and i actually helped the guy who fell off the bike. cyclist would understand, it is the cyclist that get hurt more. really. the scenario is usually: you suddenly lose control, your crouch hit the top tube first and you fall palm first on the floor, the bike then crashes behind you. the impact is the bike hitting yourself. tour de france cyclists die because of this. roadies would understand.

lets look at the tyre size, the biggest impact area is 2.5 inch. I am assuming it is a downhiller, comparing to a car or bus, the area of impact really is minimum. well if singapore is ruled by cyclists, we will have another set of rules.

i guess there are cyclists and there are anti-cyclists. if singapore is ruled by the anti-cyclists, we would have one set of rules. Aleoca would problably closed down. Mr Goh and Han would problably sell something else.

I just find it weird to see so many fervert anti-cyclists here. Really no middle ground is it? funny thing i have been knocked down by bikes before. scratches. maybe blue black. that's it. the impact of the bike tyre is there but not much, the momentum is not really that high. mass X velocity. Assuming it is a alloy bike weight of the rider combined with bike maybe 14 kg, person 65kg.
79 X 3 m/s = 237 kgm/s

which is more fatal? Seriously i have been knocked down before and i actually helped the guy who fell off the bike. cyclist would understand, it is the cyclist that get hurt more. really. the scenario is usually: you suddenly lose control, your crouch hit the top tube first and you fall palm first on the floor, the bike then crashes behind you. the impact is the bike hitting yourself. tour de france cyclists die because of this. roadies would understand.

lets look at the tyre size, the biggest impact area is 2.5 inch. I am assuming it is a downhiller, comparing to a car or bus, the area of impact really is minimum. well if singapore is ruled by cyclists, we will have another set of rules.

Gary, I was an avid cyclist.
And I never support any cycling on the PEDESTRIAN PAVEMENT.

Wat others here are trying to put through to u are;
1. Wrong/Illegal/No allowed to cycle on pavement.
2. If u wan to cycle on pavement, Pedestrian has the RIGHT OF WAY. Dun expect them to give way to u when u ring ur bell.
3. If Pedestrian refuses to give way, Pls ride on the grass to by-pass them or Dis-mount ur bicycle.
4. If u find that this is not acceptable to u. Pls forget abt cycling. Walk is also a good way of exercise.
5. If u think that the above are nonsense, pls post ur complaint on Strait Times forum & wait for the public responses.

Good Luck.

As a cyclist, you'll just have to take your chances on the road.

There are several ways of increasing your odds of survival, but I'm sure you already know that.

Bottomline is that YOU made the conscious decision to cycle. There are other means to get around so you'll just have to live with the consequences of your decision.

Your frustration at pedestrians impeding your progress on a pedestrian walkway is similar to the frustration roadusers direct towards a cyclist on a road.

Myself I still think riding a motorcycle on the road is safer than riding a bicycle! Looking at the way most cars or long vehicles overtake bicycle...dangerous.

In european country I think cycling is a luxurious, just like in amsterdam :bigeyes: they have a big multi-storey bicycle-park. Some have dedicated pavement for bicycles as well.

walking is the safest form.. so let all get everyine to walk walk walk.....

darn.. meeting GF at Orchard... guess it time to make a move and hope to reach there by 2pm... 4hrs for walking from Jurong East to Orchard shld be enough hor?~??

walking is the safest form.. so let all get everyine to walk walk walk.....

darn.. meeting GF at Orchard... guess it time to make a move and hope to reach there by 2pm... 4hrs for walking from Jurong East to Orchard shld be enough hor?~??

Bad haze out there. Walking or any other activitity outside not so good leh...

I have been to Japan. Japan is a very developed country. The cyclists there are allowed to cycle on the pavements. In fact they encourage it. :D

they have some many bikes lining the pavements. they even have special racks for them to put the bikes. So many executives cycle to work, to and fro....

I don't understand why in singapore we are treated this way... anyone who has been to Japan will know this. :)

In most other places, developed or not, bicycles belong to the road. What's needed is for the drivers to get used to cyclists.

79 X 3 m/s = 237 kgm/s

I believe most avid cyclist will say that it is wrong to cycle on the pavement. And we cyclist definitely have to give way to pedestrain whether they are on a pavement or not, right or wrong. Knocking into anybody is wrong no matter what the situation. Same rule apply to drivers on the road. While drivers may have the right of way on a road, If you knock into any person crossing illegally, you are still partially at fault.

Cycle safe. Don't think about who should have the right of way, or whether we should give way. Safety 1st man. My daughter always wear a helmet whenever I bring her to cycle in the park, and she loves to wear it. Safety begins with me

Status
Not open for further replies.