Curious about night shot quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointers are:

i) Use a tripod. No matter how steady you think whatever support you are using, it will never beat a tripod.
ii) Shoot at Low-ISO, if your camera allows you to shoot at exposures longer than 1s. My Ixus does.
iii) Use a 2s self timer so you can get your hands away from the camera. Don't touch the camera for the duration of the exposure, as even the slightest tap will render lots of motion blur.

calebk hits the nail here.......

TS..... if it is building or scenery you are shooting.... try shooting in Tv mode.

1) Put camera onto Tripod and compost your photo.
2) Set the Time Value (Tv) to less then 1/15 of a sec..... you could try even less.
3) Use the 2 or 5 seconds timer to take the shot.
4) Review the photo and change the Tv higher or lower for difference effect.

But Tripod is a must for this......

I see some people getting bitten by the threadstarter after giving advice...still thinking whether I should speak.

Well...photography is both a science and an art.

There're technical things and sciences you gotta learn and accept.

No tripod = need to use lower shutter speed or high ISO = most like to be blur.

Point-and-shoot (PnS) camera = small body, small sensor = electronic noise = higher noise = "blur"

There're many factors....but if people try to explain and help you, you don't like and don't accept, then why do you bother asking?

he's lookin for a baby sitter i think:bsmilie:

i'm using a FZ5 which is a model before FZ7.
try using the party mode and see if the shots are better a not and stick to the viewfinder cause you seem to be only using the LCD to plan your shots instead of the viewfinder to help you stabilize your hands.
once you get sick of the party mode swtich to S (shutter) mode for night shots.
set shutter speed to 1/4 which is a decent slow shutter speed for handheld shooting provided you use the viewfinder.

the A (aperature) mode is mostly used for landscapes or macro.
F8 for a bright sunny landscape in order to get some depth of field.
F2.8 for close up subject shots (remember to change the metering to spot metering) so as the subject will be in sharper focus.

when you master these 2 modes the M (manual) mode is the last learning gap.
try to use a tipod if possible in this mode cause there's a meter at the bottom of the LCD/viewfinder then you need to adjust the aperature and shutter speed until the meter is balanced in the middle indicating the correct exposure.

happy learning.
master this cam 1st before you move up to a dslr if not it will be a steep learing curve for you.
if there is anything you do not understand here please refer to your cam manual because is quite easy to understand since is very newbie-friendly.

Oh no, think you misunderstood Kit, he meant to say the problem was "the tripod"...as he had bold and used bigger font on you message which he quoted...:eek:

oooh

i didnt catch that.. sorry

I see some people getting bitten by the threadstarter after giving advice...still thinking whether I should speak.

Well...photography is both a science and an art.

There're technical things and sciences you gotta learn and accept.

No tripod = need to use lower shutter speed or high ISO = most like to be blur.

Point-and-shoot (PnS) camera = small body, small sensor = electronic noise = higher noise = "blur"

There're many factors....but if people try to explain and help you, you don't like and don't accept, then why do you bother asking?

alright.. i'm not arguing.. but wish to find out more of my cam and for improvements.
i'm not rude and apologised for not catching the key words kit commented. my Err.
I ask to learn..

ok so, best is using self timer, good support, low ISO (PnS cams)

oh.. got this training session.. good , i shall make plan for that first.
:)

thanks
to conquer FZ7 for good shots.

TS..... if it is building or scenery you are shooting.... try shooting in Tv mode.

2) Set the Time Value (Tv) to less then 1/15 of a sec..... you could try even less.

I don't understand why shooting architecture or scenery/landscape constitutes usage of shutter priority. My understanding of shooting anything vaguely related to landscape is that your priority is depth of field, not length of exposure.

In fact, during my learning curve, I never touched Tv apart from when I first started shooting sports.

I don't understand why shooting architecture or scenery/landscape constitutes usage of shutter priority. My understanding of shooting anything vaguely related to landscape is that your priority is depth of field, not length of exposure.

In fact, during my learning curve, I never touched Tv apart from when I first started shooting sports.

That's internet. Some people don't give a damn about correct advises. Some keep dishing out bad ones. Ultimately, people have to decide how they want to learn. Sometimes, it can be equally challenging trying to understand the basics and deciding what to absorb.

I don't know where you got that from but I've been doing architectural work for the past 8 years; 5 of which, semi professionally. Never in any instances did I have to use Tv mode. That's because controlling the DOF is more relevant than the shutter speed.

To Akagi07,

I'd suggest you hold your horses.... there is another thread on sunset-shooting in this Newbies Corner. The same basics apply. Kit has pointed out something very true to you.

As for this....

How anyone can get away thinking such is beyond me. As one who shoots landscapes and architecture, this is absolutely the first time I hear of something so... DUH!

Why on earth will time/shutter variable be of utmost importance in this genre? Please do not be misled by it.

yup i got it.
learning from basic. thanks all
sorry to kit, misunderstood ur words, didnt catch e bolds

yup i got it.

yup i got it.

I learn to shoot under Tv mode..... NOT Av or M....

I giving TS advise on how I did my shoot..... Not telling him it is the only way to do it. It is up to TS to accept or find some better advise.

Feel free to advise him other wise..... like from the begining of the thread..... instead of only doing it now.....

Not true. P&S can take good night shots if you know what you are doing.

Pointers are:

i) Use a tripod. No matter how steady you think whatever support you are using, it will never beat a tripod.
ii) Shoot at Low-ISO, if your camera allows you to shoot at exposures longer than 1s. My Ixus does.
iii) Use a 2s self timer so you can get your hands away from the camera. Don't touch the camera for the duration of the exposure, as even the slightest tap will render lots of motion blur.

Well, that depends if you have a good enough tripod to start off with. :bsmilie:

I learn to shoot under Tv mode..... NOT Av or M....

I giving TS advise on how I did my shoot..... Not telling him it is the only way to do it. It is up to TS to accept or find some better advise.

Feel free to advise him other wise..... like from the begining of the thread..... instead of only doing it now.....

Maybe you could learn a thing or 2 here as well. Your way contradict the fundamentals of this particular kind of photography. Hence, it misleading more than being helpful. I don't see how the timing of correct advises coming in is of any relevance to the issue. The issue is knowing the stuff and giving the right advises, not to mislead.

Maybe you could learn a thing or 2 here as well. Your way contradict the fundamentals of this particular kind of photography. Hence, it misleading more than being helpful. I don't see how the timing of correct advises coming in is of any relevance to the issue. The issue is knowing the stuff and giving the right advises, not to mislead.

TS was talking about shooting at 'NIGHT'..... he complain about noise with use of high ISO....

I advise shooting on a tripod, with low ISO, and low 'Time' speed to allow for enough light to the senser.....

So whats wrong with that ??

If you 'expert' got some better advise.... why not share it at the beginning..... why beat around the bush with TS about tripod and stuff.... why not just advise TS what setting to use......

Status
Not open for further replies.