Coolpix A

The silver one (it's more like a classic champagne) looks better in nature, has a nicer texture. :)
Yes, I also like the silver one more. But some of the dealers I asked said that they only have the black ones and that Nikon Singapore did not bring in the silver one yet. :(

Yes, I also like the silver one more. But some of the dealers I asked said that they only have the black ones and that Nikon Singapore did not bring in the silver one yet. :(

I saw the silver one only in Japan. I might buy one on my next trip. The Coolpix A is the first pocketable APS-C compact and that justifies the cash already. Fortunately I can use the WU-1b from my D600 also with the Coolpix A.

Last edited:
I tryout at nsc, pretty nice, but the positioning of that MADE IN JAPAN wording near right thumb damn KIASU & ugly..lol

I tryout at nsc, pretty nice, but the positioning of that MADE IN JAPAN wording near right thumb damn KIASU & ugly..lol

On the contrary, I see it as a nice touch. It is a strong selling point, so why not make the most of it :bsmilie:

I didn't even notice it on the units here in Japan. Is that just for export? Well, maybe I didn't inspect it closely enough. Usually I don't care what's written on the body. :)

I didn't even notice it on the units here in Japan. Is that just for export? Well, maybe I didn't inspect it closely enough. Usually I don't care what's written on the body. :)

Just checked my own photos, it's indeed printed on the back. :p

Untitled by robirobirobi, on Flickr

Last edited:
Managed to hoot one silver set from Cathay Photo. Seems that Nikon Singapore released only a few silver sets together with a lot of black ones. The sales rep at CP didn't even know that they still have 1 silver set in the store-room until he did a check when I said I only wanted a silver one and was about to walk out of the store. ;)
Now I am looking for a cheap and good GPS that would work on the Coolpix A. :)

Managed to hoot one silver set from Cathay Photo. Seems that Nikon Singapore released only a few silver sets together with a lot of black ones. The sales rep at CP didn't even know that they still have 1 silver set in the store-room until he did a check when I said I only wanted a silver one and was about to walk out of the store. ;)
Now I am looking for a cheap and good GPS that would work on the Coolpix A. :)

Cool, enjoy! How much did you pay?

May I know what are the freebies given with the cam?

Still a good price.

How is the battery performance?
Seem quite good so far. I have been testing the A's high ISO performance the whole night and the battery display haven't even drop one bar.

Wondering how it fare with DP2M

Wondering how it fare with DP2M
Actually the DPXM camera with similar focal length should be the DP1M but no... the Coolpix A is no where near the DP2M in terms of resolution and image quality under optimum lighting conditions.

But the Coolpix A is really great for low light high ISO handheld shooting... something that the DP2M is terrible at.

After just 2 days of trying out the Coolpix A, these are some of my initial impressions of the camera:

1. The AF speed is very acceptable, not as slow as some people say. It focuses quite fast even in the Macro setting unlike many cameras which will hunt or AF more slowly in macro mode. To me, it felt faster and more confident than the X100.
2. The battery life is in fact quite good although the specifications seem to indicate otherwise. Up to now, the battery indicator has not dropped even one bar.
3. One feature I like is that each time the image zoom button is pressed, the image of the focus area wherever it is in the frame is magnified until it fills the whole display and when the shutter button is half-pressed, the magnified focus area snaps into focus on the LCD screen letting the user confirm that the point where he wants to be in focus is really in focus. I had thought that this feature is usually available in other cameras only for manual focussing.
4. The high ISO performance is really good. Seem to me to be better than the Sony RX100 and the Fuji X20 both of which tend to depend on image stacking in jpeg mode to produce better results than shooting in RAW mode at ISO 3200.
5. Saving to memory card is super fast. I shoot in Raw+jpg(fine) mode and uses a Class 10 SDHC card and saving to card after each shot is almost instantaneous.

These are a few test shots:

original.jpg

1/30s f/2.8 at 18.5mm ISO 3200

original.jpg

1/40s f/2.8 at 18.5mm ISO 3200
These 2 pics were shot in a very dimly lit room on Saturday night although it does not look like it was very dark from the photos.

original.jpg

1/30s f/2.8 at 18.5mm ISO 1800

original.jpg

1/160s f/2.8 at 18.5mm ISO 100
Back-lit subject.

original.jpg

1/160s f/8.0 at 18.5mm ISO 100

Last edited:
very nice review with excellent pics tomcat, really makes me wanna go out and get the cam now.:)

very nice review with excellent pics tomcat, really makes me wanna go out and get the cam now.:)
You're welcome. The Coolpix A is turning out to be one of the better compact cameras that I have ever used. The lens is really quite sharp and seems to be have been designed to perfectly compliment the sensor.

This is a close-up of a 2-dollar note taken at the minimum focussing distance and 100% crops of the centre and edge.

original.jpg

original.jpg

100% crops of centre and edge

You're welcome. The Coolpix A is turning out to be one of the better compact cameras that I have ever used. The lens is really quite sharp and seems to be have been designed to perfectly compliment the sensor.

This is a close-up of a 2-dollar note taken at the minimum focussing distance and 100% crops of the centre and edge.

original.jpg

original.jpg

100% crops of centre and edge

Hi Tomcat,

Are these OOC jpegs or converted raw files?

Best regards.