Converting film slr to take digital shots

genobee kai

Sep 4, 2010
Now I know this have been talked a lot before, but this is something that might actually work.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/digipod

its not a actual product yet, but this seems interesting enough.

Comments/thoughts and opinions from the rest here?

Would love to use that on my old nikon F. This guy needs all the marketing and finance help he can get.

PS: I knw medium format got super expensive digital backs, but for slr, this should be the first.

I like the idea, but the film is still better in term of quality at the moment, for those still using mechanical 35mm film cameras.

but I believe, as technology advances so fast, maybe 5-10 years, a full frame version will be available for digipod at that price.

but for now, the technology is not ready enough.

Technology will improve to a point where this is technically possible and commercially viable.
Once someone can make a product to sell, it will be copied in PRC and shanzai prices will drop.
The micro SD card is ready. The micro USB connection is ready.
He forgot to mention the battery life. Need a small Lithium bty.
No on-camera review of captured image is not a problem. That is what film users were used to.
Can take out micro sd card and insert into your tablet. You get near-immediate review of photos.

The major problem is accuracy of sensor placement on the film camera's original film plane.

Last edited:
I agree, I had posted a question earlier asking about flange distance accuracy to film plane. Seems he said that its adjustable, so the position of the unit will be dependant on the photog, it will be like inserting large format film liao. lol. accuracy of film plane and film flatness

interesting observation about the battery life. wonder how long it can last.

but still...this is darn coolllll

Yes... this is what I want to put life into my old cameras. Crop factor Is a big problem. Hope enough backers to get 4/3 sensors

come come support support. I just ordered mine. I got at least 8 cameras ready to use that if it works. somemore expected delivery in feb2014....just nice CNY present ;p

crop factor....hmmm....i have a s2 nikon rangefinder, even if i cross mount adapt the lens to sony nex, also got crop factor. But I'm eyeing my pre ai lens.

interesting to see this idea poping up again. There was a company who tried to develop something exactly like this, about 10 years ago, ( sorry, forgot the name) , but they never got it to work.

Different cameras have varying x axis and y axis positions of the sensor referenced from the "film" cylinder.
So it may have to be custom made for a particular brand and model of 35mm film camera.
If this idea becomes reality, then it is only viable for only those film camera models that were sold in large numbers. e.g. Nikon FM2, Canon EOS1
Or expensive models. e.g. Leica R 6 & 7

Perhaps they can make one with adjustable x and y axis dimensions.

I think forget the film canister like insert.

Change the entire film back. Build a film back with a sensor custom made for particular model.

Last edited:
Let film cameras be film cameras. They sell film camera look-a-like digitalis that perform like digital cameras should these days, cameras like X100 or OM-D.

I really hope for this to happen, but I know that the big companies wouldn't want to invest their time and money on making film camera work digitally. I'm sure they'd rather sell more brand new cameras and make more money

It's now up to those individuals or small companies work something out, so that those legendary film cameras will have a second lease of life

I just want to use my old cameras with the convinieces of digital. It is a shame to let them lying around. Shoot film yes but it is expensive per shoot with developing and scanning.

i use film too, but i have hard time persuading my dad against the convenience of digital. But when i showed him this, he actually said he wouldn't mind trying. Lets not forget a FE2 weight compare to an equivalent FF digital. Oddly, dad couldn't see the viewfinder of my D700, but can see the half mark on the FE2 viewfinder.

anw. no harm having that added flexibility. :D

Let's hope enough support for this project and a 35mm back is possible according to the latest update.

This is not a new idea.
A company tried it before, but failed, but then they were using clunky 10yr old electronics.

I don't see a rationale to it anymore though.
It made sense in the past w/o as many digital alternatives, eps, when ppl were still holding on to their film cameras as their only cameras (thats at least 10yrs ago) and loads of legacy lenses.
Nowadays, there are all sorts of digital cameras and even FF is not that expensive.
Why go thru the cost and hassle to slap on a clunky back.

There isn't even any advantage other than getting to pull the film advance lever ever shot. :D

Its probably easier to rip the guts out and mill off the excess interior of a old camera and stuff in a disassembled NEX/m4/3/GXR.

One reason is that some film cameras are works of art. The design is beautiful.
e.g. Leica M2, Olympus OM1N, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic aka Honeywell Pentax.

Last edited:
This is not a new idea.
A company tried it before, but failed, but then they were using clunky 10yr old electronics.

I don't see a rationale to it anymore though.
It made sense in the past w/o as many digital alternatives, eps, when ppl were still holding on to their film cameras as their only cameras (thats at least 10yrs ago) and loads of legacy lenses.
Nowadays, there are all sorts of digital cameras and even FF is not that expensive.
Why go thru the cost and hassle to slap on a clunky back.

There isn't even any advantage other than getting to pull the film advance lever ever shot. :D

Its probably easier to rip the guts out and mill off the excess interior of a old camera and stuff in a disassembled NEX/m4/3/GXR.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219389

:)

its the looks for sure. you look at fuji x and oly pen series you know liao. I lost count how many times my "old" camera become a ice breaker in a conversation :sweat:

that, and the way so many young people these days thinks that look cool

darn...im getting old. I'm not that young, but im not that old either....:embrass:

One reason is that some film cameras are works of art. The design is beautiful.
e.g. Leica M2, Olympus OM1N, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic aka Honeywell Pentax.

yupps, leica m3 with the goggles is sure looker