Composition course?

rvf79 said:
Noted. I would like to get the most of the camera instead of doing more post process. :)

Always rem, PP is never impt. (at least during your present learning stage)

Most impt is your composition and technical skills of managing aperture, ISO and shutter.

I must say composition is the most difficult part of photography.

Noted. I would like to get the most of the camera instead of doing more post process. :)
That's nonsense, sorry to be blunt. The in-camera processing is not detailed enough, you can only change so many settings and they will always be applied to the entire image. There is no selection of certain areas possible. Also, certain simple adjustments are completely unavailable for in-camera processing, e.g. highlighting shadows, recovering highlights etc.
You can use GND filters for selective exposure adjustments, but this is also limited by the shape of the transition zone. A few clicks in a good tool bring you much further.

any site to recommend me to see the master art?
I would like to have a subject plus the background type.
heading to BKK tmr and hope I am able to get some good composition or at least better than the normal average joe.

heading to BKK tmr and hope I am able to get some good composition or at least better than the normal average joe.

u will never learn much by copying. in the end u loose your own style.

u can always browse flickr photos to get composition ideas (not copying).

bangkok - Flickr: Search

If you had went through the links provided for you, they are very good starts.
I especially like zaren's link. It provides very clear explanation and pictures to go with.

pls comment. 17mm F2.8 1/200, flash TTL (using lumiquest pocket bouncer), ISO 100
6543921477_c677e8cac0_b.jpg

in the picture, i try to frame it with the rail at an angle, to have a 3D effect.
but i got a feeling that this picture sucks... :(

tried to turn here n there, it isn't nice too... T.T

Last edited:
another one at ISO 100 50mm F2.8 1/200 pocket bouncer
6544055497_fe1bd6e6c4_b.jpg

i dun like tilt photos especially when its unnecessary.

this photo the tilt is unnecessary because of the sea horizon behind your subject, i feel disturbed cos the hut is sliding off the photo. if u want to do tilt photos avoid such backgrounds with obvious sea horizon. and u dun have to tilt like so extreme.

example of a titled photo i taken in the past:

5099887228_f7537b2fd6.jpg

Please focus on one topic: portrait or landscape. Portrait orientation also has a reason to be named this way, similar to landscape - now look at your last picture. I strongly suggest you start with landscape without any person in it. Landscape has a big advantage: it stands still, it's still there tomorrow and it won't complain if you need 2h to frame the shot. Learn about the very basics.
Beside this: your last pic is OOF, the focus is at the shoulder / upper arm at the lower part of the image. In portraits, the focus should be on the eye(s) for a start. First pic: the leading line forms a slope down to the right with the girl standing at the highest point. Ready to slide down..? The eye of the viewer is drawn to the slope of the rail .. into the dark 'somewhere'.. away from the girl, to the few lights at the beach.. and then..? Also here the girl is OOF.
To be honest: it would be best for you to attend a class room session. A guided approach seems top work better for you.

Please focus on one topic: portrait or landscape. Portrait orientation also has a reason to be named this way, similar to landscape - now look at your last picture. I strongly suggest you start with landscape without any person in it. Landscape has a big advantage: it stands still, it's still there tomorrow and it won't complain if you need 2h to frame the shot. Learn about the very basics.
Beside this: your last pic is OOF, the focus is at the shoulder / upper arm at the lower part of the image. In portraits, the focus should be on the eye(s) for a start. First pic: the leading line forms a slope down to the right with the girl standing at the highest point. Ready to slide down..? The eye of the viewer is drawn to the slope of the rail .. into the dark 'somewhere'.. away from the girl, to the few lights at the beach.. and then..? Also here the girl is OOF.
To be honest: it would be best for you to attend a class room session. A guided approach seems top work better for you.

which type of course will be good for a start?
went through the course in CS, not sure which 1 is suitable. it cost ard 300-400... sweat... is there courses below 100?

tip:

think first before u shoot (try different angles, do away all tilted photo shoots till your composition is better, Rem, tilted photos not equal to artistic). dun treat your DSLR like how u use your point and shoot last time just fire away.

i believe TS is trying to learn how to "master the art" of getting a portrait shot in with the landscape. i.e. fantastic holiday shots with the background and "model"

honestly from what i see, TS isn't paying much attention to what you guys are saying. so i guess you guys are wasting time on him.

i believe TS is trying to learn how to "master the art" of getting a portrait shot in with the landscape. i.e. fantastic holiday shots with the background and "model"

honestly from what i see, TS isn't paying much attention to what you guys are saying. so i guess you guys are wasting time on him.

Not that he is not listening, but i think he is too eagerly jumping everywhere, landscape to special effects to portraiture when he has not even understand the basics which is the most important to achieve whatever results he wanted.

went through the course in CS, not sure which 1 is suitable. it cost ard 300-400... sweat... is there courses below 100?

or you can look thru flickr and see how nice pictures are composed.

Hi TS,

For a start, probably you could do a google for photography composition tips. Below are some popular compositions which photographers use:

1) Symmetrical (basically mirror image). Eg. A photo showing a mountain and its reflection on the water.
2) Pathway or Guiding line. Generally a pathway leading to the subject in the photo
3) Rule of third.
4) Pattern
5) Framing - A popular composition when taking portrait
6) Lines
7) Fill the frame - Another popular composition when taking portrait

A good landscape photo will consist of 3 portions namely, foreground, midground and background. In this manner, it will create a '3D' effect on the photo. A good control of Depth of Field will also isolate the subject from background or vice versa thus making the photo more '3D' rather than a flat pic of art.

I think there are more to it. Keep shooting and analyse the mistakes which you have made in each shot. And by looking through the photos which were taken by the pro. I bet you will improve. :)

Cheers.

Not that he is not listening, but i think he is too eagerly jumping everywhere, landscape to special effects to portraiture when he has not even understand the basics which is the most important to achieve whatever results he wanted.

that too.

but being a member since 2003 with about 600+ posts... you would expect him to at least know a thing or two

TS, you got to take a logical step to things. (you are an engineer right?)
Your queries are everywhere. One post is on composition, then it turns into being about PP and then to technicalities.

Here is my advice to you.
1. Read up on the technical aspects of using a camera (ie. shutter speed; ISO; aperture)
Most importantly, read and try out. No point being paper general, it won't get drilled in w/o practice and practical observation of cause and effect.

2. Move on to learning composition basics (eg. rule of thirds; leading lines; golden ratio; golden spiral; etc)
Practice what you have read.

3. Move on to more advanced techniques (eg. Post Process; strobes; new ways to compose; etc) and revisit the #1 and #2 regularly.

All theses can be found on the internet.
I won't say that everyone can become a great photographer (that needs talent), but one can certainly become a decent and better photographer with the right approach.

I suspect you know the saying of peanuts and monkeys..? The famous story of the master creating master pieces using crappy tools is .. well.. a story. If you want to achieve decent results you should spend a decent (not sinful) amount of efforts (time, material, money) to start. What would you expect from a 4h session costing $100 ($25 hourly rate)?
Personally I have not attended any workshop. But a friend of mine attended the basic photography workshop at objectifs here in SG. She was very happy and in the end they had even a small exhibition with their best pics professionally printed and framed. If you want to understand what you are doing so that you can apply it to create new and better pictures you need to spend some efforts... Some get it by self-learning, others need a teacher / guide. I suspect you belong to the latter group (which is not a bad thing).