COE very cheap now

Status
Not open for further replies.
gilette blade expensive? :think:

my gilette sensor excel razor is 5 yr old still can use. the blades are 5 in a pack for $10 i can use them for almost 1year.the cost is gd. :thumbsup: so its not expensive.
Do you use shaving foam?

Hee hee , I also believe in this conspiracy theory about the ERP thingy. Make cars look cheap to own, but in fact expensive to drive. And young owners register as weekend cars, and causing the weekend jams and justify for the ERP increase . Just take a look at the CTE during morning n evening peak.
it's not a consipracy theory. I remember hearing it. Our PM (I forgot Mr Goh or Mr Lee,Jr ) said that he will make cars affordable as it is one of most citizen's dream to own their own cars. I guess what he said came true. just less than 10 years ago, you can never buy a brand new car for 30K. Now you can!

Why are cars so cheap nowadays?

Ans : ERP

more will be set up soon, as some of the members can already guess. :bsmilie:
lose abit to earn more in the long run. :bheart:

aiyoh... coe down. erp everywhere.i dunno.

upset...

but the fact that erp is popping out every where now is very real. according to some very reliable source.

mrt fares going to hike again. bus fares also...

jia lat la.

i think you are getting it all wrong. erp was intended to reduce or 'replace' road tax so that it becomes a pay as you use thing. CBD was chosen to implement the ERP as a pilot project to eliminate the Restricted Zone coupon which you had to buy before entering and displaying on the windscreen, I'm sure many of you here still remembers these
RZ.jpg

:think: it doesn't that a rocket scientist to figure out that bus and train fares will hike in the near future, the only question is how soon.

Buses & train fares WILL hike. But in comparison to owning private transport, the prices of these 2 would remain low.

Yes, I know what ppl are going to say, "Propaganda." but do a side-by-side comparison of a day office worker one who goes to work via bus & train vs one going by car. Would the one taking public transport ever hit $1K a month?

P/S: I'm taking into consideration the following into consideration for private transport owners, Petrol per month, instalment, road tax, ERP, COE, maintainence, etc. Thus my estimated figure of $1K/mth for private transport.

hehe depends on how you spend it. Here's how to own your personal transport cheaper than taking buses.

buy a cheap 2nd hand small bike (scooter) $800, take the longest available loan, 6years, with interests I work out to ~$14 per month for intsallments, :bsmilie: if anyone wants to loan you for that meagre amount. On side note, my friend's Super4 sold for $800 as well. :confused:
Season Parking $17/mth, Most other places either 65c whole day coupon or free.
petrol ~50-70 (take $65/mth, I use only like $30/mth)
road tax <200cc $200 = $16.7 /mth
insurance depending on age but cheapest around is $200+ ($17/mth)for small scooters.
maintanance, normal engine oil change every 3 months + general servicing ~$50 ($16.7/mth)

total per month ~$150/mth, in current day term. :bsmilie: During my poly days, my monthly transport expenses mount up to over $200 every month (for costs of transport >10yrs ago).

There you have it. Owning personal transport on a shoestring :D (Hope I did my maths right)

I'm comparing apples with apples, cheapest personal transport with cheapest public transport. I would compare cars to taxis. ;)

i love people buying cars !

oil and banking stocks are giving fat dividends... :thumbsup:

did an analysis for my 400cc sportsbike ..
bike $2500 ( 4 years back) works out to be about $60/mth?
parking $17
petrol $35
ins ~$250 ($20/mth) (after NCB is very cheap i remember, less than 200)
road tax $240 ($12/mth) after 10years, there's loading of road tax
servicing..:sweat: every 6 mths or longer ~$60 ($10/mth) my bike very maintenance-free ;p

TOTAL: $154 .... ~$160/month ;p still cheaper than public to me. heheh... :cheergal: not to mention I can wake up later in the mornings and get home faster after work. These are just the intangible benefits of riding a bike.

bus, each fare stage is about .8km my bike consumption is about 20km/l. If i did my maths right, works out to be 20cc of petrol for 800m. based on $1.5/l works out to be 3 cents worth of petrol. :lovegrin:

Long Long way for me to get a licence. :embrass:

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but compare road accident statistics and the chances of getting hurt riding a bike compared to getting hurt taking public transport...I think the extra 50 I spend a month is something I'm willing to fork out for a safer ride home. I enjoy mountainbiking and do occasional road biking but safety is the only issue that keeps me from moving on to a motorbike.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but compare road accident statistics and the chances of getting hurt riding a bike compared to getting hurt taking public transport...I think the extra 50 I spend a month is something I'm willing to fork out for a safer ride home. I enjoy mountainbiking and do occasional road biking but safety is the only issue that keeps me from moving on to a motorbike.

You are correct but if a biker try not to speed n zig zag their way in traffic, at least safer la. Even car also can have accident, don't tell me to stop learning driving. Every thing got pro n con, it is the way which you enjoy it lor. ;)

Here is my math:

In year 1996, I rode a bike Aprilia RS125 $13k -- $300/mth
Petrol - $60/mth
Roadtax + Insurance - $150/mth
Parking/ERP/CBD $50/mth
maintenance $50/mth
Average - $610

In year 2000, I drove a 2nd hand Nissan March 1000cc ($58k) -- $730/mth
Petrol - $150/mth
Roadtax + Insurance - $200/mth
Parking/ERP/CBD - $150, I work in town so add another $280 parking
Maintenance $100
Average - $1600

Not to forget you need to cross finger no accident or vandalism on your beloved bike or car...

Now I use BMW (Bus, MRT and Walk) or occasionally Taxi
Daily 2 way to work $4, average $80/mth
Taxi probably another $200 /mth

So total $280 maximum with free thrown in resting and sleeping hour along the journey :)

hehe you buy new and expensive rides.. Mine is all cheap and old bikes. My first bike was the Aprilia Extrema bought at $3000+ only at 6yr old.

Everyone got their unique cases, for you, parking in town is a big killer. I'm just presenting my view that getting a used bike can be cheaper than taking public transports. The good thing is that I love riding so it's an additional bonus for me. Just like how some ppl try to make money out of their hobbies, I am saving money as I get my riding gratification everyday.

thinking if i should make a "number plate" called "uTw@+" or "ur@g@yb0Y"

so each time the TP wanna summon me will think twice about writing anything down ? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

if u guys watched that scene from the prank show in UK. balls of steel.. hahhaa.

Here is my math:

In year 1996, I rode a bike Aprilia RS125 $13k -- $300/mth
Petrol - $60/mth
Roadtax + Insurance - $150/mth
Parking/ERP/CBD $50/mth
maintenance $50/mth
Average - $610

Your bike real expensive leh. Here is mine

Honda Phantom 200 - FU plate left 5 years- SGD1800 /60 month -- SGD $30/mth
Petrol = SGD $30/mth
Road tax + Insurance = Approx SGD $240/year -- SGD20/mth
Parking/ERP - $5/mth (Free parking at home and work)
Maintenance(Every 3 Month $60) $20/mth

Total :- SGD$105 (Worse case costing already)

Your bike real expensive leh. Here is mine

Honda Phantom 200 - FU plate left 5 years- SGD1800 /60 month -- SGD $30/mth
Petrol = SGD $30/mth
Road tax + Insurance = Approx SGD $240/year -- SGD20/mth
Parking/ERP - $5/mth (Free parking at home and work)
Maintenance(Every 3 Month $60) $20/mth

Total :- SGD$105 (Worse case costing already)

Hm...how come Phantom so cheap? I tot COE alone is $1k+ liao....Anyhow mine was FN plate

Also insurance how come so cheap? You finance allows you to buy 3rd party meh? Mine becoz it's sports bike so the first party insurance I paid was close to $1k liao...I got a lot of NCB somemore :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.