COE hitting the roof

Folks are holding on to their older cars.

27mill.xl.jpg

We can become like Cuba where 1950's US cars are still being used.
Malaysians will laugh at us when they drive over the Causeway in their 4.6 litres Range Rovers.
But never mind, the very high COEs will be used to fund more hospitals, schools and old folk's homes.

Last edited:
When someone visit a country, impression lasts..... then they see mainstream cars on the road in S'pore are mostly old and out of production models - what prosperity this city state they hear so much about - doesn't reflect at all !

Some of their cars they drive back home may even be newer and the lastest model :bsmilie: "Poor" Singaporeans they must think....

I travel to China and see mostly new cars, good roads - this gives me a impression of PROSPERITY and PROGRESS :thumbsup:

When someone visit a country, impression lasts..... then they see mainstream cars on the road in S'pore are mostly old and out of production models - what prosperity this city state they hear so much about - doesn't reflect at all !

Some of their cars they drive back home may even be newer and the lastest model :bsmilie: "Poor" Singaporeans they must think....

I travel to China and see mostly new cars, good roads - this gives me a impression of PROSPERITY and PROGRESS :thumbsup:
Please stop harping over the same statement in the span of just three days. ;)

When tourists from these country come to Singapore... they will see is:

- Singaporeans driving either real out of production models (Altis, CIVICs, JAZZ, Latio, Sunny - which is already happening now)
- another class driving the latest model NEW luxury cars

The image we will give them is bulk of Singaporeans is "poor" (seeing the type of cars being driven in a city-state that has a GDP among the world highest - irony right ?)

I don't like to say this but I do used to "scorn" old Malaysian cars rusty, paintwork gone-case Proton SAGA, WIRA still got people drive one... now is happening to us. It's very sad :mad2:
Sorry but... WHO CARES??? Why are you so concerned about "showing face"??

And honestly, the REAL opinion of people from those countries is that Singaporean cars are always clean and well-maintained, even if they're a few years old. Not like their cars, where after 1 year it's a rust bucket!

Last edited:
Now, taxis are already taken out of the COE bidding system. That's quite a big chunk.

Well, looking at the very high COE, I am very sure LTA and the Ministry muz be work hard to find some good solution to tweak the system.

Seems like the COE system is finally working. (Ie. Controlling number of cars and making lots of money for garmen)

I wonder if those putting in bids for COE are really buying cars or speculating? Which individual will want to buy a car for such high prices?

I wonder if those putting in bids for COE are really buying cars or speculating? Which individual will want to buy a car for such high prices?

There are some who will be willing to pay especially the rich ones. I have a friend who just bought a brand new Mercedes-Benz.