CNN article on Study: Threat of Muslim-American terrorism in U.S. exaggerated

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is anybody's guess whether WWII would have actually dragged on.. actually..

who knows? maybe without hiroshima and nagasaki the japs would have surrendered anyways.
Yes, it's a assumption though if they had planned to surrender they would have done so while cities after cities was napalmed with more than half a million life lost (once again a causality rate higher than what was encountered in the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki), nor will they start training civilians for warfare and ignore a final ultimatum to surrender just before the atomic bombing.

Even after the atomic bombing, the military oriented Japanese government was still insisting on negotiation in the terms and conditions for surrender had Emperor Hirohito not personally intervened.

I don't understand why you took it up as some kind of 'competition' who is right or wrong???? Sorry, but I never had that in mind and apologize if I sounded otherwise, just wanted to let you know that there is no way to tell what would have happened if the bomb had not been used.......because this is unknown, how can the US say it would have saved lives? That is just an assumption........and I was not pointing to what you said, but to what the US always say in order to justify the use of the bomb

I am only saying that to find out, you need to do both, but off course that's impossible.........

BTW: I read a comment left by an american at a book in the museum exit who visited the Atomic Bomb museum in Hiroshima, that "he felt ashamed for his own race".........

HS
Why would you think I viewed this as a competition? On the contrary I feel this a sharing of ideas from alternate viewpoint and I sincerely respect yours and understand where you are coming from though it is up to every single individuals to draw their own conclusion after analysing and cross referencing all the sources available to them. :)

one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

and the root of it all is inequality.

Sorry to hear that, I had an uncle who worked at the Thailand bridge over the river kwai...he survived though, and he was civilian in Indonesia (dutch guy)........he had no hard feelings though against the japanese, cause he accepted it was war.

In a war ultimately everybody suffers, ..........only the politicians stand to 'win'

I still can't understand though why people in Asia hate the Japanese so much, but yet fail to hate the western nations that kept them under the thumb for hundred of years (Indo for more than 350 years by the Dutch for example)...........

AFter the WWII the Dutch even didn't recognize the independence of Indonesia, so much so that they had to send the army to war twice just to win back Indonesia.........talk about piracy, they were the earliest pirates! :sweatsm::sweatsm:

HS

I can't imagine why the Filipinos are Catholic when the Pope and the Catholic Church basically sold Asia and the Americas to the Spanish and the Portuguese and they split the ownership by the Treaty of Saragossa. The church tacitly approved the occupation of several countries and the decimation of the populations by its refusal to speak against it.

I can't imagine why the Filipinos are Catholic when the Pope and the Catholic Church basically sold Asia and the Americas to the Spanish and the Portuguese and they split the ownership by the Treaty of Saragossa. The church tacitly approved the occupation of several countries and the decimation of the populations by its refusal to speak against it.

I believe in God but religion never ceases to confuse me..

"I did not ask if you believe what man says about God. I asked if you believe in God." - Camerlengo Patrick McKenna to Robert Langdon (Angels & Demons)

I believe in God but religion never ceases to confuse me..

"I did not ask if you believe what man says about God. I asked if you believe in God." - Camerlengo Patrick McKenna to Robert Langdon (Angels & Demons)

It's a good quote.

I was a member of the Presbyterian Church and I stopped going after visiting the Baptist, Methodist, and Catholic churches. I won't say that church or religion is wrong, it's what people do with it that usually ends up being a negative.

I just wish religion was a positive force.

It's a good quote.

I was a member of the Presbyterian Church and I stopped going after visiting the Baptist, Methodist, and Catholic churches. I won't say that church or religion is wrong, it's what people do with it that usually ends up being a negative.

i'm not saying its a bad thing to be religious. I'm just saying that all religions lead to God. (personal view)

this is not the only instance of meddling, standing by, etc.

and that's only the catholic church. :)

oh, but it is.

there is not a single religion in the world that is widely practised that emphasizes and preaches wrongdoing. all of them are founded on virtues that can be widely embraced for the greater good if taken in moderation.

man - man is the thing that corrupts religion. it is not the religion that causes extremists, it is not the religion that leads people to do fanatical things, to tear apart families in some cases, or to turn any difference in opinion into a war.

and there is a lot to say about that, but i suspect if we go on at length about this, this thread will be locked.

so a gentle reminder.

oh, but it is.

there is not a single religion in the world that is widely practised that emphasizes and preaches wrongdoing. all of them are founded on virtues that can be widely embraced for the greater good if taken in moderation.

man - man is the thing that corrupts religion. it is not the religion that causes extremists, it is not the religion that leads people to do fanatical things, to tear apart families in some cases, or to turn any difference in opinion into a war.

and there is a lot to say about that, but i suspect if we go on at length about this, this thread will be locked.

so a gentle reminder.

Of course, it's a touchy subject in the best of times but the title of the thread evokes comment on religion.

In any case, if people would take care to hold back the fanatics (of any kind) and move them back to more mainstream thinking, the world would be a better place.

Oh, and you've never met a Satanic group trying to kill you or a friend. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.