ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne..

I am doing a Bachelor of Science at UniMelb.

I think I can only meet you up next year. I will be going to Tasmania after my exams and then heading back home. Will be back in late Feb 2010. Will meet you up once I'm back in Melbourne and hopefully will have more time for photography during my Honours year. ;)

might be a bit off topic but i was wondering where you can get good singaporean food in melbourne? perhaps not those in chinatown area though. i am thinking perhaps those not so well-known places but have really good food

might be a bit off topic but i was wondering where you can get good singaporean food in melbourne? perhaps not those in chinatown area though. i am thinking perhaps those not so well-known places but have really good food
Hmmm... Good question... Never really found any good Singaporean food in Melbourne. I know Nasi Lemak House is not bad. That is like one of my favourite asian eateries in Melbourne. Otherwise, not much of a choice. You can come by my place for home-cook dishes by Singaporeans! Hahaha~ ;p

If I'm not mistaken, the only place Singaporean eatery in Melbourne CBD is Singapore Chom Chom along Bourke Street between Russell Street and Swanston Street (closer to Russell Street).

There is another Singaporean eatery called Old Raffles Place along Johnston Street in Collingwood near my company. This place is decorated with very old photos of Singapore, and you would believe that you are having a history lesson in a museum.

Otherwise, there is Laksa King in Newmarket (that's the suburb name I think), and Nasi Lemak House (near Melbourne University) as suggested by kaxdd.

Of course, don't expect Singapore cuisine cooked/served overseas to taste like what you/we have in Singapore.

Don't take this in the wrong way, but just a suggestion/opinion, if you are going to be in Melbourne for a long time, it would benefit you to open up and try the wide diverse multi-cultural cuisine available.

Last edited:
I agree with Jemapela. Do try out other food other than Singaporean food. Those places Jemapela mentioned are considered decent places, but don't expect the price to be Singaporean price. A normal nasi lemak can set you back A$9.80. Laksa King is not bad, but again, don't expect it to be anywhere near Katong laksa. :bsmilie:

If I'm not mistaken, the only place Singaporean eatery in Melbourne CBD is Singapore Chom Chom along Bourke Street between Russell Street and Swanston Street (closer to Russell Street).

There is another Singaporean eatery called Old Raffles Place along Johnston Street in Collingwood near my company. This place is decorated with very old photos of Singapore, and you would believe that you are having a history lesson in a museum.

Otherwise, there is Laksa King in Newmarket (that's the suburb name I think), and Nasi Lemak House (near Melbourne University) as suggested by kaxdd.

Of course, don't expect Singapore cuisine cooked/served overseas to taste like what you/we have in Singapore.

Don't take this in the wrong way, but just a suggestion/opinion, if you are going to be in Melbourne for a long time, it would benefit you to open up and try the wide diverse multi-cultural cuisine available.

thanks for that, i might try the raffles place restaurant, sounds pretty interesting. when my wife and i visited singapore 2 years ago, she loved the food there and bought a singaporeian cookbook and she has done a pretty good job cooking some of the recipes there.

Hello to all ClubSnappers in Melbourne,

I hope you are all well.

I wish you a merry Christmas. May the day be joyful and fun with your families and friends.

Keep shooting those cameras of yours...

Retrieved this thread today..

Happy belated Christmas 2009 and New Year 2010 to all ClubSnappers in Melbourne :embrass::)

Ahh... it is nice to see some response here.

Anyway, I was recently in Sydney and Hunter Valley shooting infrared images with a modified camera. Here's a few from my web to share.

IMG_01962.jpg

IMG_02384.jpg

IMG_02523.jpg

Last edited:
Here's wishing all Melbourne-based ClubSnap members a happy start to the year of the tiger with family and friends.

Happy Valentines' Day too.

Keep on firing your cameras... and I will keep on repairing them. ;)

Belated Happy New Year and Chinese New Year to fellow Singaporeans! I'm back in Melbourne for my final year of study! Going to be a torturous year for me, so I hope I can have the chance to meet up with at least some guys from here for a photo shoot, probably on a weekend.

So in the meantime, do stay healthy and probably I will start organizing an outing once I have my schedule sorted out. :cool:

Blessed Chinese New Year to all ClubSNAP forummers in Melbourne!

kaxdd: Looking forward to your photography outing plan, hope we all can meet up this time ;)

Hi everyone,

There is a long weekend coming up this week, and Moomba Festival is happening. We could meet up.

Moomba Festival is a good time! How about Sunday? Shall we meet on Sunday for fireworks photography? Prior to that, we can go shoot around the carnival in the evening. Please let me know your suggestions.

Moomba Festival is a good time! How about Sunday? Shall we meet on Sunday for fireworks photography? Prior to that, we can go shoot around the carnival in the evening. Please let me know your suggestions.

Yeah, Sunday sounds good.

However, since some of us could be meeting for the first time, I think it is better to have a chat over coffee somewhere before going down to do photography.

Here's a suggestion: Have coffee at around 3pm, then go do photography at 5pm. Those who can't come early, meet for dinner at 7pm, then fireworks at 9pm. (I'm guessing fireworks is at 9pm.)

I'm more interested in shooting the carnival during the day.

Here's another suggestion: We could photograph Moomba parade along Swanston Street on Monday which starts around 10am (I think). Thereafter, we chat over lunch.

Actually, ClubSnap's moderator (and chief administrator as well, I think) Darren is based in Melbourne, but I don't know if he watches this thread or has interest in any social photographic activities.

We could ask him to join us.

Sounds good! But I can only make it on Sunday afternoon. So I guess you guys can go ahead in the morning and I will join up in the afternoon for coffee. If anyone can contact Darren, it will be great to have more people for this outing. Contact me at 0421370995! :cool:

what is the moomba parade?