Circular Polarisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A polarizer filter is actually made of a piece of polarizing material trapped between two pieces of glass, in a rotating metal ring.

By the way, the Kasemann version of the B+W is really the most expensive kind... it is made of the most premium polarizing material, and sealed against any moisture or dust. It is overkill for most purposes, except maybe if you work in extremely humid or dusty places (such as the tropical jungle or sulphur mine).

About the comment that Hoya SHMC being cheaper than the cheapest B+W, I'd say that the SHMC are very good filters, and they're probably a better buy than the cheapest B+W (which are non-coated). Just my personal opinon...

AJ23 said:
The Hoya Pro-1 series is suppose to be on par with the B+W MRC series.
Actually the SHMC are basically on par with the B+W MRC in terms of light transmission. They even have the same coloured reflection(which hints at the tranmission cutoff wavelength).

The Pro-1/Ultra series filters are just ultra thin versions of the SHMC meant for wide angle lenses. B+W has their own slim versions of MRC as well.

After B+W MRC, still got B+W Kasseman, Rodenstock, etc. Slightly astronomcal pricing too. :sweat:

There's still Heliopan which is even more costly.:)

Neo said:
A polarizer filter is actually made of a piece of polarizing material trapped between two pieces of glass, in a rotating metal ring.

By the way, the Kasemann version of the B+W is really the most expensive kind... it is made of the most premium polarizing material, and sealed against any moisture or dust. It is overkill for most purposes, except maybe if you work in extremely humid or dusty places (such as the tropical jungle or sulphur mine).

About the comment that Hoya SHMC being cheaper than the cheapest B+W, I'd say that the SHMC are very good filters, and they're probably a better buy than the cheapest B+W (which are non-coated). Just my personal opinon...

I was also thinking that the SHMCs were better than the low end B+W but of course I didn't know that low end B+Ws do not have any coating...... :dunno: That's rather surprising considering that it is a premium brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.