choosing a Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthusalami

Jan 25, 2007
YCK
hi guys

im thinking of getting myself a DSLR. however i have trouble choosing between d40x,d50 and d70/d70s.
suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.
also, can you really tell the difference between 6 MP to 10MP?

For best picture quality: choose D40x.

If you need autofocus with all AF lenses: choose D50, D70, D70s. The D40x can only autofocus with AF-S lenses.

The increase of megapixels from 6 to 10 does give you some flexibility when you have to crop an image.

d70s & 18-200mm vr = gao dim liao. ;)

With the latest metering/processor and 10MPix sensor, ISO100 capability, the D40x seems the be a strong competitor. Match with 18-200VRII and you won't need anything else.

Oh, maybe add SB400.

hi guys

im thinking of getting myself a DSLR. however i have trouble choosing between d40x,d50 and d70/d70s.
suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.
also, can you really tell the difference between 6 MP to 10MP?

Do u require to print big size photo ?

D70s is a good headstart. :)

nope not really. preferably something versatile. why is that even some digicams has high MPs than a DSLR? when i dont really see digicams producing results like a DSLR :dunno:

6MP with a good lens can easily print up to A2 size.

Do you need to additional resolution? or you are one of those who resize your images to 640x480 and post them online?

Or do you not compose your images, just go trigger happy and try to crop them on your PC often?

:)

i dont really do any cropping. i usually jus resize the image smaller to post them online? why size of image important? the bigger you blow the image more blur?

i dont really do any cropping. i usually jus resize the image smaller to post them online? why size of image important? the bigger you blow the image more blur?

Generally higher resolution is good for printing really large poster size or cropping. If you are not a professional who needs to do large prints often, isnt 6MP enough?

The MP chase never ends, before long, 16MP may become entry level. :bsmilie:

hahaha. generally which dslr more versatile in your oppinion?

recently upgraded from D70 to D200, well worth the extra cash, so if your thinking serious photography this is the way to go.
happy snapping:) :)

nope not really. preferably something versatile. why is that even some digicams has high MPs than a DSLR? when i dont really see digicams producing results like a DSLR :dunno:

The number of pixels on the sensor is a very easy specification to sell.

hahaha. generally which dslr more versatile in your oppinion?

Definitely D50/D70 over D40/X

Not being able to use AF/AFD lens is equivalent to less one leg ( you can still move about by hopping.. For me that is)

And the 3 AF point is too little, any prosumer camera has more.

And btw D50 and D70, of cos a D70

CLS commander function, dual command dials, top LCD backlight, 2K shots per batt life, better built, CF card, blah bah blah... ( you can do search)

most importantly..what is ur budget? :) no budget.. D80 or D200 :D

1.2+ i dont actually mind getting second hand though.

Definitely D50/D70 over D40/X

Not being able to use AF/AFD lens is equivalent to less one leg ( you can still move about by hopping.. For me that is)

And the 3 AF point is too little, any prosumer camera has more.

And btw D50 and D70, of cos a D70

CLS commander function, dual command dials, top LCD backlight, 2K shots per batt life, better built, CF card, blah bah blah... ( you can do search)

thanks. this was very helpful!

1.2+ i dont actually mind getting second hand though.

A D70 with the 18-70 kit lens (if you can find it) is a great start. Alternatively, look for the 18-135 kit lens (newer kit lens that comes with the D80). You won't have a distance window on the latter lens, but either way, both are great starting lenses. Also get a decent flash with both tilt and swivel. The SB-600 will serve your needs fine, unless you foresee yourself making money from your photography. If you do, then go for the creme de la creme: the SB-800. If you're into portraiture, a couple of very sharp lenses you can consider are the 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4. You may also want to try out the 85mm focal length, but IMO it's a bit too long and you won't get to interact with your subjects so much.

MP only counts for image size. If you really don't need to print huge sizes, then just go for a lower-resolution camera. It's fine. I use the 30D, which gives 8MP, and it's fine for me, because I shoot RAW and the file sizes won't be as big as the "industry standard" 10.2MP.

The reason why compact cameras don't perform as well as dSLRs is due to the fact that for a 10MP compact, the same amount of pixels are squeezed onto a much smaller sensor than a dSLR. Thus, you're gonna get a much higher noise level from the sensor when you bump the ISO, as compared to the dSLR.

Pixel count matters to some extent but what is even more important is the quality of the pixel count. A 6 MP photo produced by a dSLR with decent lenses will easily produce much better photos than a 10 MP PnS camera. Camera manufacturers produce 10 MP or even higher PnS cameras because the majority of camera users simply don't understand or don't believe this and all they believe the higher the pixel count, the better the cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.