China - Yunnnan

Not sure if Aug is the best time to go, but ooh, certainly one of my best experiences in that part of Yunnan! (I went in Oct)
http://blog.roving-light.com/2008/09/meili-snow-mountains.html

Lijiang is really great for photography; some minor tips :
http://blog.roving-light.com/2007/12/lijiang.html

can i ask what is the weather like in Shangrila? (during Aug..)
Anyone been to Deqin? the last town before the tibetian border.

Anyone went to Tiger Leaping Gorge 虎跳峡 before?

Was in Yunnan in April. Nice weather, cool and sunny most of the time.But did have rain and snow aslo. This time skipped Tiger Leaping Gorge, cos was there almost 15 years ago. Heard its very easy access now. Must go to Mei li Snow mountain. Along the way views were fantastic. We had snow storm while on the way there.

Tiger Leaping Gorge is nice, if this is your first time there should try to do the trek.
been there few years ago not sure if its still that nice..

this time round i wanted to visit meili
not sure whether for 10days i can do this
Kuming > Lijiang > Lugu Lake > Zhongdian > Deqin >Yubeng > Meili > Lijiang

Tiger Leaping Gorge is nice, if this is your first time there should try to do the trek.
been there few years ago not sure if its still that nice..

this time round i wanted to visit meili
not sure whether for 10days i can do this
Kuming > Lijiang > Lugu Lake > Zhongdian > Deqin >Yubeng > Meili > Lijiang

If you dun spend > 3 days in Kunming n Lijiang, should be doable, but would probably be pretty tight schedule

If you dun spend > 3 days in Kunming n Lijiang, should be doable, but would probably be pretty tight schedule

dont actually intend to spend time in kunming,
might stay 1 or 2 days in lijiang... I am feeling that its pretty tight as well
as I dont like to just touch and go.
Would like to hang around and take photos.

dont actually intend to spend time in kunming,
might stay 1 or 2 days in lijiang... I am feeling that its pretty tight as well
as I dont like to just touch and go.
Would like to hang around and take photos.

If that's the case, maybe skip either yubeng or Lugu lake? My suggestion is to go for Yubeng, and skip Lugu Lake, cause of the 7hrs car ride

If that's the case, maybe skip either yubeng or Lugu lake? My suggestion is to go for Yubeng, and skip Lugu Lake, cause of the 7hrs car ride

ya thats the worse case ..
still finding out if there is direct route to yubeng from lugu lake without going back to lijiang

and it seems like the more research i do the more places i want to visit
hahha
too many places too little time

ya thats the worse case ..
still finding out if there is direct route to yubeng from lugu lake without going back to lijiang

and it seems like the more research i do the more places i want to visit
hahha
too many places too little time

There's no such route, see this map

opps seems like i need to replan,

I take very easy path ,, from KunMing to and stay at LiJiang for 4 days counting stones .. :bsmilie:
then from LiJiang to Shangri-la to DeXin see MeiLi (4 days)
and back to LiJiang and KunMing (2 days ) .. then Home Sweet Home .. :)

Late July may be the raining season.

I went to Yunan, Kunming, Dali and Shangrila b4, during the month end oct to 3rd week Nov whereby the weather is cold and slight rain. Nice but the sky is throughout NO blue.

Share some lousy shots with you.
3637966211_2a63c1563e.jpg

3722924965_1545a9ac30.jpg

3723736734_7847e6b8ca.jpg

3722927319_bf373f1609.jpg

other than photography, my advice for lijiang is to visit Shu He old town, 束和古镇, go with someone you love, very relaxing and carefree. total relaxation. 闲聊,发呆,往天,看书。。。等等

Hi all, i decided to "dig" this thread as the places i planned to go are found in this thread.

I plan to visit FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier, then back to Lijiang and maybe Lugu Lake during Oct, estimated 14days.
Is it advisable to go solo to YuBeng Village without any guide?
Will i get lost during the trekking from Xideng to Yubeng Village?
Is it better to stay at Zhongdian to acclimatize the high altitude or go straight to FeiLaiSi to acclimatize?
Is it better to take domestic flight from Kunming to Zhongdian or taking sleeper bus from Kunming to Zhongdian if there is any?

I have been to Yunnan in 2008, staying in Lijiang for 2days, exploring around Lijiang and went to LaShiHai with a travel agency at Lijiang. After that i went over to trek at Tiger Leaping Gorge alone.

Thanks for the help, advise and insight.

*oeyvind, your photos of Yunnan are very nice!!

hi oeyvind, thanks for sharing your album. really wonderful photos.
fred

Hi all, i decided to "dig" this thread as the places i planned to go are found in this thread.

I plan to visit FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier, then back to Lijiang and maybe Lugu Lake during Oct, estimated 14days.
Is it advisable to go solo to YuBeng Village without any guide?
Will i get lost during the trekking from Xideng to Yubeng Village?
Is it better to stay at Zhongdian to acclimatize the high altitude or go straight to FeiLaiSi to acclimatize?
Is it better to take domestic flight from Kunming to Zhongdian or taking sleeper bus from Kunming to Zhongdian if there is any?

I have been to Yunnan in 2008, staying in Lijiang for 2days, exploring around Lijiang and went to LaShiHai with a travel agency at Lijiang. After that i went over to trek at Tiger Leaping Gorge alone.

Thanks for the help, advise and insight.

*oeyvind, your photos of Yunnan are very nice!!

I did Meili Xue Shan last year. Assuming you move out from FeilaiSi, 4 nights for Meili Xue Shan area is good but 7 nights provides a more relaxing pace. At least 2 nights in Yubeng.

I flew from Kunming to Zhongdian on the morning flight and took the long drive to Feilai Si, reaching in the late afternoon. Your problem will be getting a ride from Zhongdian to Feilai Si alone. Taxi ? expensive. Bus ? will have to wait around for it.

If you were comfortable alone on Hutiao xia, then no need for a guide as there is only one trial. Hard to get lost.

AMS? Depends on your body. I had none but my buddy has a little upon arriving at Feilai Si but cleared soon after. Generally should be no problem as you don't get above 4,000m anyway.

Oct should be a good time for photos, with clear skies. Plenty of Chinese trekkers and TOURISTS around.

Good luck and have plenty of fun.

Last edited:
Hi your18

I am also planning a similar trip
kunming > Lijiang > zhongdian > Meili area than FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier
and back to lijiang than kunming..

will be doing this in dec xmas period.
will be going on a group of 7, was wondering if anyone have a agency in lijiang or kunming to recommend?
as we are quite a big group and travel during xmas season, afraid we wont be able to get transport and guesthouse on our own.

Last edited:
Hey Daoyin, thanks for sharing your experience.
Most likely, i will fly from kunming to zhongdian, stay for a day or two, to acclimatize.
After that i will head out to FeiLaiSi.
Any advise on which part of Yubeng to stay? Upper or lower Yubeng?
Any website to share?
I did Meili Xue Shan last year. Assuming you move out from FeilaiSi, 4 nights for Meili Xue Shan area is good but 7 nights provides a more relaxing pace. At least 2 nights in Yubeng.

I flew from Kunming to Zhongdian on the morning flight and took the long drive to Feilai Si, reaching in the late afternoon. Your problem will be getting a ride from Zhongdian to Feilai Si alone. Taxi ? expensive. Bus ? will have to wait around for it.

If you were comfortable alone on Hutiao xia, then no need for a guide as there is only one trial. Hard to get lost.

AMS? Depends on your body. I had none but my buddy has a little upon arriving at Feilai Si but cleared soon after. Generally should be no problem as you don't get above 4,000m anyway.

Oct should be a good time for photos, with clear skies. Plenty of Chinese trekkers and TOURISTS around.

Good luck and have plenty of fun.