Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

Status
Not open for further replies.
only we have the answer to our question, be it in life. rip cheryl

My gf knows cheryl and mention she was a brilliant writer. its sad really that stress levels are taking their toll. I hope NTU does something about it than keep wanting to 'boost' their rankings!!

NTU IS boosting their rankings, but not by making students score better. They do it by changing the policy on the professors in school to increase the percentage of research compared to lecturing.

Notice that in the past 1 or 2 years, alot of contract professors "left" NTU? Its just because they don't fit the new requirements set to boost the Uni ranking.

frens, when the IR is fully operated, i believe stress levels and even similar cases will creep in...

hmm why do everyone view NTU as the possible cause to her students' suicidal cases?

maybe it's also dependent on the perspectives of the students themselves? their family background?

there are thousands of students in NTU and i dont think all of them jump off buildings. it could also be that these suicidal students came from NTU by chance.

Rather than blaming NTU as of being flawed, maybe we should consider how students themselves should learn how to cope with stress instead? Afterall, if they cant handle the stress in school (always known as a 'sheltered' environment), how can they handle the real world? Maybe us students are too pampered till we cant handle some amount of stress? Or maybe it's the pressure from the parents.. expecting too much from the students?

After reading these posts, I must say it is interesting how some people can draw conclusions conveniently without even getting hold of any substantial information.

Can the school be a possible factor leading to her suicide? Yes, highly possible but it should not be seen as the only factor. There will definitely be students in the school who are doing the same modules as herself. Does that mean she isn't as smart? Well, maybe. But do bear in mind at the end of the day, suicide is a personal choice. Even if we do assume that it could most probably be her inability to cope with school, the main reason will be more direct causes (mostly psychological), such as her fear of facing her family, or dreading what her future might hold.

No matter the reason, whatever we can discuss here will be non-conclusive and remain as a hypothesis until there is some form of substantial information to get hold of.

On the side note, in regards to the comments about our rigid education system, I won't deny that it is definitely modelled according to how the economy is doing. However, before we start pointing fingers, we should step back and think why our government does it. Firstly, we don't have a large land mass, no secret by now. That leads to very major limitations in terms of how we can expand physically. Secondly, we don't have any natural resources so to speak of, and obviously you know what that leads to. Our education system, is essentially the source of our country's bowl of rice, and hence the need for its revisions according to the state of the world.

It's always easy to blame or criticise a certain system, but finding solutions are a lot harder. Even the best solutions will bring up new problems. Think about it.

i am lost. can someone kindly explain what you mean by our education system is flawed? and how it is related to NTU? and how it is related to students jumping from flats?

i am lost. can someone kindly explain what you mean by our education system is flawed? and how it is related to NTU? and how it is related to students jumping from flats?

that one you have to ask the person who first made that leap in logic. :)

he seems to be gone, you can contact him via pm and amuse yourself. :bsmilie:

RIP Cheryl.

Wasted youth tho. Irrespective of how tough life may be, death will never be the answer. It is just the easy way out. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my opinion.

And out of the thousands of students who study in NTU every year, two kill themselves and suddenly its the stress of studies? I mean really now? What about the parents talking to the kids? Why is it the university's prerogative to do it?

that one you have to ask the person who first made that leap in logic. :)

he seems to be gone, you can contact him via pm and amuse yourself. :bsmilie:

I have read the conversation between you and him, and I regretted reading them because his arguments are totally out of point when it comes to this topic.

I dont understand why people pass their views on education system as their main argument when it comes to unfortunate event in this case suicide.

To be honest, Uni education hasnt changed a slightest in the recent years. And it's almost the same for every uni in the world. But if you said culture is different, maybe. But education system of uni, no.

So, I dun understand why education system is mentioned here in the first place.:dunno:

I have read the conversation between you and him, and I regretted reading them because his arguments are totally out of point when it comes to this topic.

I dont understand why people pass their views on education system as their main argument when it comes to unfortunate event in this case suicide.

To be honest, Uni education hasnt changed a slightest in the recent years. And it's almost the same for every uni in the world. But if you said culture is different, maybe. But education system of uni, no.

So, I dun understand why education system is mentioned here in the first place.:dunno:

1) i believe our education system is not flawed but could be tweaked and improved. there is a difference.

2) the other difference is students are not stressed by our education system but by society.

And out of the thousands of students who study in NTU every year, two kill themselves and suddenly its the stress of studies? I mean really now? What about the parents talking to the kids? Why is it the university's prerogative to do it?

some parents are so busy with their daily life that they miss out the warning signs from their kids.
to some extent, they thought is just another bad day in their kid's life and shrug it off as a minor matter.
and next thing they know is that might be the last time they ever see their kid alive.

sometimes a little more EQ from their parents could have help save a life...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.