Cheapest way to store pictures during travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
boroangel said:
Thanks for all yoru advice...I will think about it and make a decision when nearing Nov...to be honest I dont travel a lot and after Nov my next trip would prob be in July next year...if I get that external harddisk things with the special casing it might end up gathering dust...hmm...or maybe I should just get another 1GB XD card...not sure how much it would cost though...

Yes sammy888, I m using a 256 MB XD card right now which allow me to take an average of 260 pics...going on a 9 day trip...if on the average I take 100+ pics a day...would need some method to store 1000 pics I reckon...around 1 GB I suppose...

Could recommend this way, not the best but can consider :

1. I brought at least 2-3 xD card.
2. and 3 nos. at least 256mb thumb drive.
3. when the xD card is full, I'll change to another empty one first.
4. when I come across a cheap internet cafe, less than $1 per hour, I'll use the pc to transfer the xD card memory to thumb drive. make sure you bring the USB cable to your cam.
5. I repeated this process about 3 times on my 15 day Europe tour.

6. Burning onto CD in Europe was so expensive, it cost about EU10, that's $20+
7. Most internet cafe were not cheap, the cheaper ones are very small shops, one was even operated like a Singapore Cheers shop by an Indian migrant in London.

8. I'm prepared for my next trip already, bought the Compact Drive :)

Hope it helps.

monyol said:
Can the PD7x store raw files?:embrass:

yes, and I used PD7X to d/l and store 30 GB of RAW files during my last trip, and it perform almost flawlesly ( I lost some files, but since they're in the same CF card, I guess I must have forgotten to back up.)

and now I'm experiencing the downside of shooting RAW... have to edit each photo (30 Gb equals to about 5000 pictures... )

sorry but im going to hitch a ride on this thread. :bsmilie:

i currently have the ipod mini, and is it possible for me to transfer photos from my 20D straight into the ipod mini without the use of my laptop ?

iso100 said:
get a harddisk case which can read several kinds of cards, and buy a 2.5" harddisk. 40G/5200rpm around S$110.
combination of two is something called digital travel mate

ideal for travelling.

May I know roughly how much the casing costs and which models are recommended? The casing is different from the card reader right? Cos the PD7X I just called Eastgear and its $199 without the harddisk...too ex for me...

You can get a digimate II plus only S$80 from sim lim, but the internal battery dont last super long. Thinking of making a battery pack for it.

Ok....went down to buy a Fuji 512 MB XD card today at $85........actually wanted to get a 1GB but then my manual never mention whetehr it can take 1GB anot......it only displayed a max of 512MB when illustrating how many pictures my S5500 can take....wanted to test the 1GB XD card but becasue its sealed they were not willing to let me try......did read up beforehand on the interent ....some say can....some say it might take a long time to store and read each shot......

Anyways....the 1Gb cost around $147.....and I was thinking......if next year I upgrade to a S9500 or a DSLR......then to spend so much on a 1GB XD card just for one trip doesnt sound too cost effective.....so now I have a 256 + 512......enough to take aound 700+ pics......might need to find a place to transfer the pics to a CD midway through the trip I reckon.....at Dali or most probably Lijiang...

Regarding the portable storage devices.....hmmm.....cos I will be makign 2 trips to Aus next year but my bro's laptop will be around so tot I might not really need the portable storage device.......so hope I have made the best decision......

Anyways.....want to thank all those who have given valuable advice on this topic.....u guys are very helpful....cheers....

Always get more memory. (another 512?)

One way to save cost is to work out how much you willing to 'rent' the xd card per day.

Then go and buy and use it for your trip. When you come back, sell the card at the price (minus off your rent per day).

Win-win, since you don't need so many cards back home and you get to bring more cards on the trip.

Boroangel where did you get the 512mb XD card from? Its quite cheap. As for the portable harddisk, i think its a good investment and very useful even when you upgraded to DSLR, as it can read many cards such as CF and XD.During overseas trip, I would rather shoot as many as i want than restricting myself to 700+ of pictures. Chinese saying :" Rather Kill Wrong than Miss It" Haha my translation very bad. And it can even use as a traveller AA batt charger. Sitex coming soon, hopefully the compactdrive will be offered lower price and you may want to consider it. Just a piece of advice from newbie~

Belano said:
Boroangel where did you get the 512mb XD card from?

Got it from Alan Photos.......hopefully I can find some photo shop in Dali or Lijiang to transfer my pics to a CD....

I suggest its better to have back up plan just in case you couldn't find a PC / CD burner there. Then if not you will "Sian 1/2 way" for the rest of your trip or have to suffer pain of deleting images.
Went to Da LI, Yunnan few years back, and it was a miracle if i could spot a PC. It was quite rural that time, don't know if there will much changes.

Erm....hi guys.....I was sitting in front of the PC and I turned around at look at my bookshelf on the left and realised that I have spare harddisks hanging around. Got a 80 Gb harddisk but that one a bit corrupted liao but theres an IBM 6.4 GB 3.5 inch harddisk which is still working...........does that mean I just have to get the Digimate 2 casing and viola......I got a portable storage for my XD cards? All these casings use 3.5 inch harddisk right? I suppose they have an USB cable to connect the casing to my PC to do transfering?

Doh...think it uses 2.5 inch hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.