Cheap slave flash for Digital Camera (esp F707)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Kevin
KC, I check the spec for the Metz 34 CS-2 which does not have slave flash function. How come this guy claim he use it with S30 as slave?

sorry.... saw your post late. from Metz website, the flash has a slave mode leh. here's more info:

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/4_mecablitz/m_mb_produkte/m_fs__34_CS-2_digita.html

Second generation of a compact all-rounder

Powerful compact flash unit with a guide number of 34 at ISO 100/21° and 85 mm focal length. The new flash unit incorporates a special lag time function to make it suitable for many digital cameras, even models without a flash connecting facility featuring a monitoring pre-flash. This is achieved by an inbuilt slave trigger unit which also fires the flash integrated in the camera.
Due to the handy camera bracket (included in the price) the "34 CS-2 digital" can be mounted on the same level with the camera, although the flash unit can be used on its own due to its exceptional versatility. It can be mounted on a slave stand for use as an off-camera flashgun. This is a very effective illumination mode to highlight a subject with side light to achieve a striking modelling effect.

It is supplied with a practical, a small bracket to combine the flash unit and camera into a single compact unit, and for cameras with synch socket.

Obviously, the "34 CS-2 digital" can also be used with analog cameras.

Originally posted by mpenza

sorry.... saw your post late. from Metz website, the flash has a slave mode leh. here's more info:

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/4_mecablitz/m_mb_produkte/m_fs__34_CS-2_digita.html
Alamak! Sorry KC, I mix up the Metz 32 and 34. I am looking at the 32 Z2 since it can be used on Minolta as well as C2040 with diff SCA adaptor. The 32 Z2 can use on Fuji S602 right? Does it need another SCA adaptor? For Metz 32 Z2, the slave trigger is built into the SCA adaptor right?

I'm trying to fit something between el cheapo solutions and the Rolls Royce club here.

There's a flash from Sigma EF500ST which can be used as a very effective semi-pro slave and main flash. It may not have a Sony hot shoe mount but the advantage is that it is a wireless flash. It gets triggered off by the primary flash from the camera.... These functions are also built into the flash unit without the need of external adapters.. Did I mention that it also does TTL metering?

If you do not want to use the on board flash and yet trigger off the wireless, I discovered this trick from one of the threads elsewhere.
1. Get some developed negatives... usually the strip before exposure 1 is black in colour.
2. Cut out the black section to the same size as your onboard flash.
3. stick the negative over it and viola.
4. The wireless flash will trigger off because the escaping infra red rays from the main flash.

NB : only the Nikon mount version comes with TTL metering function.

Guide no. 50m(165ft) at 105mm to 30m(100ft) at 28mm
zoom 28-105mm with 17mm wide angle adapter.
Indigo backlight function on control panel.

Originally posted by phero-man
I'm trying to fit something between el cheapo solutions and the Rolls Royce club here.

There's a flash from Sigma EF500ST which can be used as a very effective semi-pro slave and main flash. It may not have a Sony hot shoe mount but the advantage is that it is a wireless flash. It gets triggered off by the primary flash from the camera.... These functions are also built into the flash unit without the need of external adapters.. Did I mention that it also does TTL metering?

2 questions:
1. does it ignore pre-flash? digital cameras usually give a pre-flash which will trigger off slave units.
2. it won't do TTL metering if the camera doesn't support it.

How much is this flash? Can it work with Minolta 5xi on TTL metering?

I bought it for 350.
I repeat. only the Nikon version comes with TTL

I bought it for 350.

how abt Canon? i read from the website and it stated that this Sigma 500 support Canon's E-TTL too...

My apologies people, I have made a mistake.

TTL applies to all... it's the 3-D multi-sensor balanced fill flash function that's exclusive the the nikon function. which can only be activated when mounted... not in wireless mode...

I'm sorry Kevin. I just ate my words.... argh...

My apologies people, I have made a mistake.

TTL applies to all... it's the 3-D multi-sensor balanced fill flash function that's exclusive the the nikon function. which can only be activated when mounted... not in wireless mode...

I'm sorry Kevin. I just ate my words.... argh...
It is OK. Thanks for the honesty anyway. :)

I bought it for 350.

the model u bought for 350 is the EF500 Super.. not Standard..

ST is onli $200 and can't be used as wireless unless u got the trigger.. ;)

$200 :eek:

Where can I get it? TTL metering work for all mean Minolta 5xi can work right? Can it work as slave trigger flash for my Oly C2040?

Thanks guys, the standard version still have slave trigger function to be trigger off by the IR?

Thanks guys, the standard version still have slave trigger function to be trigger off by the IR?

nope.... basically for the standard onli TTL, manual high and manual low.. has a built in diffuser.. eeerr..... tat's all!
the super will has lots more function plus manual control.

take a trip to http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/flashes.htm :)

Originally posted by hackie

nope.... basically for the standard onli TTL, manual high and manual low.. has a built in diffuser.. eeerr..... tat's all!
the super will has lots more function plus manual control.

take a trip to http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/flashes.htm :)
Thanks Hackie.

BTW, how much is the Sigma EF430 Super? EF500 Super is over my budget!!!

Thanks Hackie.

BTW, how much is the Sigma EF430 Super? EF500 Super is over my budget!!!

errr... i have no idea.... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.