anyway to TS,

the way to change a lens,
cover the front lens cap on the lens on the camera,
place the lens you want to use on the surface with lens face down,
just loosen the rear lens cap, but still cover the lens,
dismount the lens from camera, place it beside the lens you want to use,
remove the rear lens cap from the lens you want to use,
and cover the rear lens cap to the lens just dismounted
take up the lens and mount it to you camera.
you should keep you camera vertical or facing downward when the lens dismounting and mounting.
so you are keeping the lens changing time to a minimum.

if you change a lens at outdoor,
try to squat down and change the lens,
so if you happen that you drop your lens,
it will not drop a few feet but only a few inches.

and also a good idea to open your camera bag and change your lens on top of it,
so you lens will not kiss the ground if you drop it.

OT, I always doubtful why someone want to boost around about how good the camera or lens he/she own, as a photographer, ones should take pride what images he/she can create, not what equipments he/she own.

ok trying to steer thread back... anyway i would use catchlights method if i have time... if not.. er...mostly either using the 24-70 or 70-200... i use a optech lens pouch (drawstring type) which i clip on belt..then i remove all lens caps 1st... then chuck the spare lens in..draw the string tight..typically i use the 24-70 giant lens hood and put it into the pouch to hold the base of the pouch wide open

when need to change lens, draw out the lens from pouch, kiap under right armpit :D then left hand unmount the current lens..n put into pouch..draw string.. then take spare lens n mount..

i think it's a within 10-sec job... dun quote me on that..i never timed myself..felt like 10 secs :bsmilie:

cant understand why people cannot co exist with different brands of camera and views.. Why keep stiring up the fire when it was almost gone? Personally think should just carry on with the discussion with CHANGING LENS OUTDOOR and not on things like which brand which cam or what so ever..

cant understand why people cannot co exist with different brands of camera and views.. Why keep stiring up the fire when it was almost gone? Personally think should just carry on with the discussion with CHANGING LENS OUTDOOR and not on things like which brand which cam or what so ever..

let's start by ignoring the ppl who are being dragged into this lah :)

just stand with ur back facing oncoming wind can liaoz i guess, then u reduce the possibility of dust getting in...

Hello hello.

Wah.. I didn't log in for the weekend, suddenly got so much fire in this thread.

Thank you all for the various contributions.

Basically, this is how I change my lens outdoor:

1. open the camera bag.
2. loosen the back lens cap in the bag.
3. take out lens on the camera.
4. put it into a slot of the bag.
5. screw the loosen cap onto the dismounted lens.
6. take out the new lens and screw it onto the camera.

I just want to know if there is anything missing or any other precautions to take. I thought the suggestions to squat down, to change lens over the bag, face the camera body downwards are very good suggestions that I will certainly take on board.

I know time is essence so will have to do it asap.

To avoid misunderstanding, I'm using Nikon D40X kit lens and 55-200mm VR. can't afford 18-200mm.

Thanks again.

I have a good time reading this thread over a bowl of chips ..=)

If u're in a more dusty environment, no matter how fast u change your lens, the dusts will still enter.

thats true. i changed my lens once outdoors then the whole day i was shooting with quite a bit of dust all around. didnt realise till i viewed the pics on a comp monitor - otherwise wouldnt have realised it

Hello hello.

Wah.. I didn't log in for the weekend, suddenly got so much fire in this thread.

Thank you all for the various contributions.

Basically, this is how I change my lens outdoor:

1. open the camera bag.
2. loosen the back lens cap in the bag.
3. take out lens on the camera.
4. put it into a slot of the bag.
5. screw the loosen cap onto the dismounted lens.
6. take out the new lens and screw it onto the camera.

I just want to know if there is anything missing or any other precautions to take. I thought the suggestions to squat down, to change lens over the bag, face the camera body downwards are very good suggestions that I will certainly take on board.

I know time is essence so will have to do it asap.

To avoid misunderstanding, I'm using Nikon D40X kit lens and 55-200mm VR. can't afford 18-200mm.

Thanks again.

its actually as dusty in your bag as compare to outside...

thats true. i changed my lens once outdoors then the whole day i was shooting with quite a bit of dust all around. didnt realise till i viewed the pics on a comp monitor - otherwise wouldnt have realised it

I've tried before in enclosed areas away from traffic and crowds, yet dusts still enter. So the bottomline is, dusts entries are inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.