CF card

Status
Not open for further replies.
zcwnfx said:
i think its better to format... i think its ok one...

anyway, i think its true that the files are being kept in a seq manner. and formatting it will refresh the sys info store on the CF card....

but then again, i havent heard of anyone's card spoil becos of formatting......
When you delete all files (without formatting), the new file will be put in seq manner always.

AFAIK, this new memory (IIRC NOR memory, the old one is NAND memory) just start around 2001. Implementation start around 2003. Just see a few years ahead... :sweat: . I hope nothing bad happend...

IMHO, if the bad memory happend on data area, it is still not too bad. But if that happend on FAT... Goodbye memory card...

Regards,
Arto.

Zaknafein said:
i think (and hope) the bigger companies dun use lousier electronics components just to cut cost. i usually buy the more reputable brands of memory cards even if i have to pay a bit more. its not the lifetime warranty, many memory cards provides those. its the MEMORIES in the card
AFAIK, the memory chip is from few companies only (like samsung, etc.). The memory card companies buy from them and developt their own firmware to make use of memory chip. Or, they just OEM from others.

The reputable brand indeed give good service like lifetime warranty. But, the content inside the card is not under warranty. So, it is wise to always keep a copy of card on your pc.

Regards,
Arto.

i always immediately download the files to my laptop and then quickly burn a copy into a CD. Jus to be on the save side

oo i didnt know they buy the memory from certain companies... i thought bigger companies make their own mem

I always Download from my 8Gb MD to PC and formats on camera every alternate DL. I had previous experience where by i have read write issues while taking photos on my old smartmedia cards. Now playing safe. better to format or delete using camera. Dont ever let pc format or delete yr photos. I was told that PC and camera format is slightly different. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Zaknafein said:
oo i didnt know they buy the memory from certain companies... i thought bigger companies make their own mem
It will be costly for them to manufacture the memory chip. Easier for them to buy memory chip from established manufacturer.

And IMHO, 4x1GB cards is better than 1x4GB card. You invest more (you pay more) on 4x1GB cards, but if one card fail, you still have 3x1GB cards, while in 1x4GB card, you lost the card. Ok, lifetime warranty, but how about if you are on traveling? Precious moment captured on the card is lost... :cry: .

Since it is all about electronics, anytime card can fail without any notice.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
It will be costly for them to manufacture the memory chip. Easier for them to buy memory chip from established manufacturer.

And IMHO, 4x1GB cards is better than 1x4GB card. You invest more (you pay more) on 4x1GB cards, but if one card fail, you still have 3x1GB cards, while in 1x4GB card, you lost the card. Ok, lifetime warranty, but how about if you are on traveling? Precious moment captured on the card is lost... :cry: .

Since it is all about electronics, anytime card can fail without any notice.

Regards,
Arto.

totally agree. hence i never buy CF cards bigger then 2GB. rather to have a lot then 1 big one :p but that personal preference lah. i think got some CSers that uses microdrives that are big in capacity too :p

zcwnfx said:
i think its better to format... i think its ok one...

anyway, i think its true that the files are being kept in a seq manner. and formatting it will refresh the sys info store on the CF card....

but then again, i havent heard of anyone's card spoil becos of formatting......

yes... correct kep in seq manner therefore buy high speed card.
NOwadays price is so cheapppp...
How can it be ?
Ultra-2 price can be cheaper as my normal Sandisk which I bought 2 years ago ! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.