CD Data Lost:(Help Help!! Be careful on buying CD to burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
kraterz said:
Even if you buy sony etc it's your luck. My one batch of sony CDR all died in 3-4 mths. Personally I dun trust CDR/DVD to store anything. Use dual HDD backup.

ME TOO ! Those crappy and expensive sony CD-R that i used all died in abt 1/2 year while my experience with imation CD-R are still good , tried open the files from a 1 yr+ CD-R and its still working .

Same goes for those 100pcs cheap brandless no printing CD-R ... 1/2 year old cd 80% of them cant open . Stored in cooling aircon place in a bag somemore .

Sony and those brandless CD-R :thumbsd: to my experience . Strongly recommend imation

i guess good burners also play a part.

I burnt on maxwell cds, at 48x, on my tdk 1st gen 48x cdrw drive. so far after 1+ year to 2 years, most of my cds are still readable (have not the time to test everything, just random read whenever i need to) I think i have more then 500 of this brand, and i keep them in cakes

there were 2 dyes for maxwell, most of them i bought the better dye (the 1 with white sponge on top)

most of my friends' cd are unreadable after some time, esp. if they use no-brand cd. even when they use good brands (eg imation) to burn sometimes it become unreadable after some time

Ballack said:
I had a discussion with a couple of friends about data storage and here are some tips for CDs/DVDs:

Buy good branded ones. I'd recommend Hitachi and Imation.
Burn at slower speeds.
Leave them in their own personal Casings.
Store then in dry boxes.
Keep them away from the sun.

With hard drives getting cheaper, it also makes good sense to have a dedicated storage drive that you can copy files in, plug out and store it in a corner as well.
Burning at lower speeds causes a higher chance of error for your DVD/CDs.

Imation is actually not much different from the no brand/A1pro brands, just branded.

Forget Sony DVDs/CDRs.. from past experience, those sold in Singapore are not actual Sony DVD-rs etc, and are actually just outsourced discs.. they used to use one of the lousier dyes on the market. A1pro etc actually were way superior.. For their price, I'd avoid Sony totally.

The really good ones are expensive.

IMHO If I need digital Masters I'd got for Verbatim (which is actually Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden discs), Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi, Hitachi Maxwell and to a much lesser extent TDK (coz they outsource, sometimes you get good and expensive Discs, there are the cheap and unreliable ones too) . They're known in the industry to be considered "1st class media" with "Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results".

so far been using imation cd-r/cd-rw dvdr/dvd-rw/dvd+rw :bsmilie:
so far so gd :thumbsup:

cookie88 said:
HD reliability quite low nowadays; prone to mechanical faults also. Hear noises coming from it n ur heart will sink also. I adopted super KS way...

1. Raid1 (mirror) my data in PC
2. Another copy in separate HD
3. Another copy in NAS
4. Burn (usually lazy, so burn once every few mths)

I must be really suay if still can lose data this way... ;p

Heard the pros burn @ 1x speed to ensure max life.

wow...if Fire then how? *touchwood*

di0nysus said:
wow...if Fire then how? *touchwood*

Put 1 copy at mother-in-laws' place...

My practice:
2 copies on 2 HDDs. Every 2 to 3 years buy another newer bigger HDD and transfer.
2 copies on DVD-R, different brand. Every 2 to 3 years re-burn.

Haven't gone to the extent of 1 copy at mother-in-laws' place yet...

tmfwy said:
Contrary to popular belief

Backing things up in optical media is the worst thing to do.
Forget the BS that CDs last 100 years. The most it will last, is about 3 years, if you are lucky
CDs are meant as a delivery. you burn, then you throw ( eg: pass your project to your friends )

and how do you back up that claim? 3 years is...even my floppy disk last longer.

i have 10 years old CDR still as good as new, in fact i have all my CDRs working perfectly as of today--except the mitsubishi's.

the blank/media plays the biggest part, you pay peanut, you'll get peanut. 10 years ago, even the lousiest or should i say no brand media cost more than today's Taiyo Yuden. and they do last, none of my Prodisc, CMC, Princo, Ritek, etc fail me, not to mention the Best--Kodak and Mitsui. still, the less capable will sound a lot worst on my CD, some will even skip & "scream"--too much jitter.

some CDR faces of death, they were torturing the CDR to see which would survive till the end. these CDR were from the pre-price dumping era, when most manufacturer could still produce quality stuff--higher profit margin. for current market, the Taiyo Yuden is your safest bet and at less than a dollar a piece, its cheap enough to buy at 50pc or 100pc a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.