careful while buying 2nd hand products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
rusty said:
things like this are very hard to judge. What if u dropped it spoilt it and then decide to blame on the seller for selling a faulty product? it could work both ways so stop trying to sound like some bad tempered mobster.

i had a buyer who claimed that an accessory which was part of a product that i sold him wasn't working cuz the battery couldnt fit. it turned out that he used AA batteries instead of AAA. Tested it and it worked fine. At the end of the day i got stuck for an fully working accessory which was part of a set of products and had to refund him the value of the accessory. The sad part was that i sold him at a discounted price if taken as a set. Anyway only God will know his true intentions.

i sympathise with u....i know how nerve wrecking it can be to have a piece of equipment that u treasure spoil.... 2 of go and settle this amicably lah... Call again and again.... Hope it gets settled soon. good luck...

I did not drop that body, and i did not sound like a dad mobster. If you are in my shoe, shooting a seminar, half way, camera don't work, what will you feel? Call that seller, no response, what will you feel? PM does work, what will you feel? Give him chance now, so am i bad?

I am man enough to say here, and i dare and man enough to post his nick, cos i am clear of conscience.

Anyway, i am prepare to service it on my own cost, cos no point chasing after a chicken.

Stoned said:
You see the thing is it's very hard to prove who's fault the damage to the product is. As such, the police can't do diddly squat unless you have some form of documentation or proof.
The seller can easily claim that you spoilt it and it was working fine when you bought it, which actually does stand to sound judgement in some sense as people usually test and will not buy if it's not ok. You can't prove him wrong, based on the info. you've given us. You basically don't really have a case, as unfortunate as that is. He probably didn't reply to you because he consulted someone and they told him that he's in the clear.

The best you can do is repair it so you don't waste the 970 you've already spent on it.

I know hard to prove, and seller can don't give me a damn.

I actually hope that seller was sincere enough to help out, but proven, 2.5 days already no news.

You see, why am i really piss off is cos i was shooting a event when camera got problem. Just imagine off and on it many times. Lucky i always bring xtra equipment.

Will service that body, and continue shooting.

Sorry to hear about your bummer experience. That would piss me off big time as well.

However, I also believe in cavaet emptor. People should be honest when selling, but really this is quite beyond your control. For me personally, when I'm buying 2nd hand, I know that for the cheaper prices, I am actually taking a gamble. So for things that have a tendency to fail, like cameras and other electronics, I'd think about it really, really carefully.

As a seller, I will always try my best to be as honest as possible. All known faults, I will list out. I take care of all my stuff. HOWEVER, I refrain from giving any personal warranty (maybe 2-3 days max) because I'm also afraid dishonest buyers may want to burn me as well. The way I see it, you inspect the product, it leaves my hands into yours, the deal is done. Any "aftercare service" is nothing more than a favour. So it's really based on mutual trust (which can be a very dicey thing).

Anyway, for your case, just for the sake of decency, I hope the fella comes up to explain the situation. (Have you tried calling him? If he really was a scammer and used a pre-paid card, you might have a problem tracking him down).

Good luck.

this looks like a red herring to me. i do not think it is fair to pin (consequential) blame on the seller when you use it at a seminar and it gives you problem. the onus is on you to test it rigorously within a reasonable time. after all, you bought an used camera.

smurfman said:
If you are in my shoe, shooting a seminar, half way, camera don't work, what will you feel?

I think you shouldn't use publication of his name as a way to threaten the person. Either you reveal the seller's name upfront and let him defend himself here (if he wishes to), or you simply keep quiet about it (which I don't see any reason to). Using this as a threat doesn't seem to be right.

smufman, its a double edge sword thingie and if you are very pissed about this type of stuff i can only recomand you to buy only NEW products with warrantly!

i also have this experience, a buyer who bought my friends DSLR and claim all the batteries are flat and cannot charge, when i went to collect back the camera , 2 for the batteries are fully charge, what a bummer!

For a seller and buyer its both a fustrating experience.

yeah. so i think all of us shd be honest as sellers. if others want to be dishoenst, let them. it doesnt mean that we have to follow them. at least when we sell things, our conscience is clear.

smurfman said:
Test on the spot ok. 2 days later go for actual shoot, after taking a few images, it reads err, or simply the no of images left for shoot just disappear, it does not record in. Sms the person, he reply, cos i say will report to police for intention to cheat. He response fast, and say will call me last nite.

have u tried another CF card and format the card with the camera?

just in case that it is not the camera fault

vince123123 said:
I think you shouldn't use publication of his name as a way to threaten the person. Either you reveal the seller's name upfront and let him defend himself here (if he wishes to), or you simply keep quiet about it (which I don't see any reason to). Using this as a threat doesn't seem to be right.

i never threaten, i am giving him 2nd chance.

i purchase many second hand (or actually 3rd, 4th, 5th....hand) stuff
like they say
you win some you lose some
in 2nd hand buys it is like that
cases where it does not work so well
just smile and write off the loss

if i bought brand new i will have warranty
sometimes the shop that sold it will replace one for one
but some shops have policy once sold cannot return

in 2nd hand you must know what you are buying (does that sound odd? )
you must know who you are buying from
if well known trust worthy guy
then you got no problems

there are mean and scheming buyers too who take advantage of sellers.
the other way around also have.
so far the people I buy from seem ok.

the prism of a camera i bought got some small defect
I did not notice until after I sent it for CLA at repairer
but never make it an issue with seller since he let me check it before buying
anyway what if repairer had accidentally damaged the prism and it was orginally ok when sold to me?
as you can see, there are so many possibilities that you cannot pin it clearly who is at fault

just don't let it bug you
but then again i am a hobbyist
it seems you are a pro
so if i miss a shot during any "event" due to camera failure
WHO CARES?
a hobbyist does not have to answer to anyone
but pro got some worries maybe that is why you are angry

My anger go down liao. :)

A few days already, not going to defend yourself?

Sometimes, hiding can't solve problems, it will create more issues.

You don't say who he is, why would he have any incentive to defend himself? :think:

smurfman said:
My anger go down liao. :)

A few days already, not going to defend yourself?

Sometimes, hiding can't solve problems, it will create more issues.

Okie............

His nick is Leuchars.

Maybe he use two nicks, cos the thread he say post for friends.

*sniff sniff*

U know what I smell? I smell a volatile mix of kerosene, gasoline, petrol & alcohol fumes plus the smell of admins & mods coming in with a big fat lock.

this is the risk lor...sometimes buy 1st hand also such problems...

Thread temporary locked for admin's moderation.

Kopitiam

Status
Not open for further replies.