CanonSG: To launch EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x

I hope the built in teleconverter will become standard equipment in lessor lenses as newer replacements are made in the future. It would be nice to see a multi-teleconverter in a single lens i.e 1.4x + 2.0x + 3.0x.

While this is a nice idea, all the lenses will then cost at least $1000 more.

Any expert can share why long zoom lens always so big? With the same fov, a high grade binocular or scope can be much smaller.

Bins and scopes are designed for the pupils of our eyes which are in the range of 3-5mm, allowing for dilation. Telephote Camera lenses are usually FF and the image circle has a diagonal of 43mm. To focus the camera need about f/8 so with a focal length of 1000mm the aperture would be 1000/8=125mm with a correspondingly bigger front element.

Just went there to play with the 1dx and the white bazooka

Here's some pictures:
IMG_20130105_160530_zps114545ef.jpg

IMG_20130105_160942_1_zpsd20b28e3.jpg

Does the built-in extender work like magic?
Should have took a video through the viewfinder...

Basically the magnification change is instant, not graduate.

Half way through the transition, the viewfinder became darker then there is some ghosting, then snap, 1.4x extender in action.

Not sure whether there is stopping down of light anot.

Should have took a video through the viewfinder...

Basically the magnification change is instant, not graduate.

Half way through the transition, the viewfinder became darker then there is some ghosting, then snap, 1.4x extender in action.

Not sure whether there is stopping down of light anot.

Thanks.

Definitely have to lose one stop.

Had a short 10 minutes hands-on. A bit disappointed.
IMO, it is not as sharp as Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II

Nonetheless, great experience from the Canon booth. Very friendly and helpful staff. Thumbs up!

EOS_X_Experience2.jpg

EOS_X_Experience1.jpg

EOS_X_Experience3.jpg

EOS_X_Experience4.jpg

EOS_X_Experience5.jpg

Last edited:
Had a short 10 minutes hands-on. A bit disappointed.
IMO, it is not as sharp as Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II

haha, your comment will cost Canon $1 million in lost sales. :bsmilie:

This is an International Ballistic Missile!!! :bigeyes::eek:

Got see the video? The focal reach is like OMG.. FBI's equipment :bsmilie:

That is one massive lens! Looks very impressive though.

Is the consensus that the lens is soft?... Only poster made that comment... would like to hear from others.

I saw from one of the photos above, that Canon has taped up the CF card compartment. I guess no one is allowed to record test shots and take them home?

Is the consensus that the lens is soft?... Only poster made that comment... would like to hear from others.

I saw from one of the photos above, that Canon has taped up the CF card compartment. I guess no one is allowed to record test shots and take them home?

Yes that's always the rule. For products that are not launched but out for preview (just like the 1DX), they won't let you have the RAW files home.

For those attending the event, please ask how costly the 200-400 1.4x will be. I've heard figures of over US10,000!!!

I hope the built in teleconverter will become standard equipment in lessor lenses as newer replacements are made in the future. It would be nice to see a multi-teleconverter in a single lens i.e 1.4x + 2.0x + 3.0x.

Some have speculated the near 600 IS II weight of the 200-400 is attributed to the built-in extender.

If this is the case them pass. Keep it separated!

Some have speculated the near 600 IS II weight of the 200-400 is attributed to the built-in extender.

If this is the case them pass. Keep it separated!

Yes, weight would be an issue for me too. :sweat:

I think it's possible to mount your camera, but I think the canon dudes over there will be quick to surpress your actions.

I think it's possible to mount your camera, but I think the canon dudes over there will be quick to surpress your actions.

They lost me a potential buyer as they didn't allow me to hand held it and feel the weight :(

Was at the event this afternoon and test fired the 200-400. It is a very heavy and huge lens although did not have a chance to hand held. The focussing is very fast, even with the 1.4TC in action and the zooming is smooth. From the test shots and from reviewing the pics thru the viewfinder, seems to be quite sharp. Was told by one of the Canon guys that estimated RRP is probably around S$16k and Canon will only start production in the 2nd quarter. Maybe someone from Canon can confirm this. IMO, it is quite a versatile lens and if it is around 10K-12K street price, maybe can consider :)

16k??
I'd rather take 600mm mk2 instead.

Was at the event this afternoon and test fired the 200-400. It is a very heavy and huge lens although did not have a chance to hand held. The focussing is very fast, even with the 1.4TC in action and the zooming is smooth. From the test shots and from reviewing the pics thru the viewfinder, seems to be quite sharp. Was told by one of the Canon guys that estimated RRP is probably around S$16k and Canon will only start production in the 2nd quarter. Maybe someone from Canon can confirm this. IMO, it is quite a versatile lens and if it is around 10K-12K street price, maybe can consider :)

16k.....zzzz

Only $16,000... I think I'll buy 3 or 4... NOOOOOT!