Canon vs Nikon

Why no flash?? Flash is nice you know....

Truth be told, me here don't much about flash. I am sure it is nice if I know how to use, like how you did with this image. But I take it a step at a time. Want to explore all I can on the camera sans the flash first. Then maybe next time I will use flash to improve it.

I am not that honored to shoot wedding of Ah-Yo-Yo...

I am not Willy Foo nor am I Bryan Kit. :cry:

haha, ok i'm mistaken, although i tot she did have a slight resemblence...

Canon 50mm 1.4 (read a lot of good reviews on this too)

By the way, is it true that journalists prefer to use Nikon? If yes, why so?

where have you read alot of good reviews on the 50 1.4?? from experience and people around.. its kinda problematic with its USM breaking down frequently..

AND no its not true that journalist prefer using Nikon la.. its really subjective..

Truth be told, me here don't much about flash. I am sure it is nice if I know how to use, like how you did with this image. But I take it a step at a time. Want to explore all I can on the camera sans the flash first. Then maybe next time I will use flash to improve it.

Up to you... have fun. and good luck.

where have you read alot of good reviews on the 50 1.4?? from experience and people around.. its kinda problematic with its USM breaking down frequently..

AND no its not true that journalist prefer using Nikon la.. its really subjective..

Yup, big problems with Canon's 50/1.4. Many have complained that the motor breaks down a lot. So watch out...

A very famous local wedding photographer once said, For Canon 50mm, get the 1.8 or the 1.2. Avoid the 1.4.

photography is all about light.. well not ALL.. but ya you get the idea..

you can take pics where there is sufficient ambient lighting.. when there isn't then you have to create that light lor..

using reflectors, flash etc... don't wait.. start playing around with miss flash and learn to manipulate her...

u need not be so concerned what other ppl is using don't you? for all you know, they might have been so used to using nikon and hence they carry on using it? :dunno:

what is most important is which equipment is comfortable in your hands.

Canon Vs Nikon (vs. any other brand) - My advice ... what do your friends shoot with?

When starting out unless you have deep pockets, you will most likely be torn between getting a number of lenses to meet your preferred type of photography.

By picking the same brand as your firends, not only do you get to share kit from them (as long as they are good friends ;p), but you can also get the feel of the cameras they use (be it cannon or nikon).

Other tips I would give you when selecting a DSLR is go see it and pick it up. Handle it as much as you an in the store before making your choice. How does it feel in your hand? Is the grip large enough for your hand or is it too big? Does the camera get heavy after 5 minutes of holding? Are the buttons in a logical place for you and can you reach them all? Do the menus make sense? Does it have all the features you need? Does it have a high percentage of the features you want?

Brand should not be a deciding factor unless you already have existing kit or have friends that own the same brand. Getting a camera that works and feels good for you that does everything you want it to is more important.

Just my 2cents.

Bro Ouverture, Bro Zero, Bro Atarandas & Bro Odyssey...

Thanks for the recommendations!!! Coincidentally the 4 bros seem to recommend the similar gears. Am glad this thread was fruitful. I will be gunning for this: Canon 7D (hopefully, otherwise bo pian 50D), Canon 50mm 1.4 (read a lot of good reviews on this too) and Tamron 17-50mm for starters. I will do some research on Odyssey's other suggestions too.

Errr... din't u notice the Nikon camp is silent?
Probably should hear from the other side too, to get more balanced views.

I dun know enough of both to give a fair statement, however, whatever choice you make, really KNOW what it is, and stick to it for the next 3-5 years!
Don't focus on the superficial, things like color etc should be post process one, so shouldn't really matter. Go for what matters in your photography!

Examples of conditions - outdoor in the evening, under limited lightings from lamppost or other light sources. Or in a restaurant/house taking pictures of food, people in nice ambient light. Not dark like I can't even make ot the faces. Can see faces clearly, but not very bright, with slight movements but not like playing sports kinda movement.

I don't really like to use flash, totally destroys the pictures IMO (unless it is a studio shoot). I tried adjusting aperture using AP, but of course the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed too. I have experimented with adjusting aperture and shutter to allow more light and increasing ISO. Picture (and lighting) looks ok but blur, due to myself - not stable enough. Then I see some other photographers next to me, snapping away without flash with a DSLR (higher model, different brands). Of course I am assuming their pictures will turn out fine. Hence I research and come to the conclusion that my equiments are not fast enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Budget wise I can stretch a bit to accomodate the body. I have already sold my 400D with kit lens.

Question : To start off here, is it better to get a lower range camera (eg Canon 550D or Nikon D90) and a better (faster) lens, or a better camera with kit lens (Canon 50D, 7D, 5D or Nikon D300s,etc)? I am open to 2nd hand gear and of course will upgrade the lens a step at a time while working on my skills which is just as, if not more important than the gear.

my question to u is, why did u spend money getting faster lens, tripod & external flash? instead u sold 400d c/w kit lens, now going to buy a "complete set"?

also, i want to ask u, if u taking night photo of ur family sitting along the bay, infront of the esplanade, cbd as backdrop, without tripod and flash, how to take a properly exposed family & backdrop? i only know how to do it with flash & tripod, hence, camera is not so important liao. having a faster lens may help abit, but not as much as the flash & tripod.

Last edited:

Flash photography is a necessity and if you do not learn it then you are wasting your time, no matter what gears you have. When you want a good DSLR system, you must include a good flash, period.

I was like you, some time ago, thinking that natural light is the best for everything.

A flash is not hard to use, and is very easy to use too.

There's only so much f1.2 and ISO 25,600 can do. Plus, you lose sharpness and you get all the noise present in your photo.

Of course, the best is to have fast lenses and a flash. Learn how to use natural light and flashes.

most newbies find it difficult to take people with brightly lited backdrop like cbd area at night as mentioned in the situation i posted above is because they are likely to end up with either :

1) blur picture
didnt use tripod when shutter speed is too slow to be hand held.

2) under exposed people but sharp & properly exposed cbd backdrop
didnt use flash, but atleast photog used tripod.

3) blur but propely exposed people but sharp but over exposed cbd backdrop

a) didnt use flash, but had set exposure for the people after metering with partial / spot metering mode, but atleast photog used tripod.

b) although photog had use flash to properly exposed the people, use tripod. but because they had use "aperture priority" mode, which basically meter to exposed the background while the flash takes care of exposing the people, the shutter speed is still relatively slow eg 2sec. during this 2sec the people saw the flash fired so they thought photo is taken and starts to move about.

ofcause there are other cases, but mostly these are the common ones.

for the newbies to improve on the above, they really just have to read up more on the basics of photography and experiment more, or they can ask those experience photog to guide them.

if, the newbie thinks by changing to a better camera and lens, w/o understanding flash photography and using a stable tripod will help, think again.

Errr... din't u notice the Nikon camp is silent?
Probably should hear from the other side too, to get more balanced views.

I dun know enough of both to give a fair statement, however, whatever choice you make, really KNOW what it is, and stick to it for the next 3-5 years!
Don't focus on the superficial, things like color etc should be post process one, so shouldn't really matter. Go for what matters in your photography!

Nikon camp quiet because too many new cameras are very soon to be released... ;)

LOL, but you are missing out.
Flash is part of the bag of tricks to improve our photography. You are going against the wall by sticking to unnecessary concepts. The following are all shot with flash :

B'day party
K7JP0408.JPG

The room was meters away from the window, so it did not benefit from window light. I certainly could not move the cake, since its not my house, event or daughter :D. Dim tungsten lighting was the ambient lighting. If I used high ISO above 800, I usually won't be satisfied by the quality. ISO800 would not give me the movement stopping shutter speed in such lighting.

Not spoiling the ambient
K7JP4586.JPG

Flash bounced from a large white sofa across the subject. Light fall did not interfere with ambient. Cooler toned subject warmed up a little in PP.

Directional
K7JP1181.JPG

Flash need not mean straight on unflattering light. This one is just the flash bounced from the right wall.

A new whizz bang camera won't solve the problem. In fact a 7D would not be the right high ISO performance camera to go for. You'd be better off with a FF like D700 or 5Dmk2.

Last edited:
Hi bros,

Many thanks again for enlightening me on flash photography. I will read up more on it and not exclude it in my learning process.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in defining the situations. Let me describe the kind of sitations that can't use flash: certain concerts (not all), theatre performances, impromptu moments involving strangers, etc, bascially any situations where using flash is prohibited or inconvenient or intrusive. What do I need/or do to get a decent/good shot in such circumstances? I thought getting a faster lens/camera would help, at least this is what I gather so far. I am also a bit confused now after reading all the different postings. Let me know if I am wrong and I am happy to tweak my purchasing decisions.

I am not sure if I ask the right questions but please refrain from being condescending. I thought this section is for Newbie, but some of the postings by the bros seems to imply that I should know better. If I know, why would I be wasting your time and my time here and not spend time taking more pictures right? Peace.

Hi bros,

Many thanks again for enlightening me on flash photography. I will read up more on it and not exclude it in my learning process.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in defining the situations. Let me describe the kind of sitations that can't use flash: certain concerts (not all), theatre performances, impromptu moments involving strangers, etc, bascially any situations where using flash is prohibited or inconvenient or intrusive. What do I need/or do to get a decent/good shot in such circumstances? I thought getting a faster lens/camera would help, at least this is what I gather so far. I am also a bit confused now after reading all the different postings. Let me know if I am wrong and I am happy to tweak my purchasing decisions.

I am not sure if I ask the right questions but please refrain from being condescending. I thought this section is for Newbie, but some of the postings by the bros seems to imply that I should know better. If I know, why would I be wasting your time and my time here and not spend time taking more pictures right? Peace.

hey chill chill, no worries, i know what you mean, there are alot of people who can sometimes get quite irritating/condescending..

yes, the idea of using flash and all may not be possible all the time.. so for those times, a fast lens is nice to have.. thats why many people have lens with aperture 1.2,1.4,1.8... couple that with decent ISO, and steady hands.. you can get pretty nice shots..

the thing to remember is don't be afraid of tryin.. and you can increase ISO.. its better to have noise in the photo then to get a blured photo.. blurred photo you have to trash.. noise to some extent can use software to reduce abit..

anyway, there is no such thing as asking a dumb question, but if you don't ask then you'll continue being dumb.. thats what my sec sch teacher always said.. :thumbsup:

Hi bros,

In most situation, flash is allowed, while in places where they are not allowed, these places are normally bright enough for live broadcasting, so reasonable fast lens will do but you must have also reasonable skill. What I don't like about some newbies like you is that you continue to stick to your own opinion and refused to listen to most and you said we are condescending.

Hi bros,

No prob.
In situations that you can't use flash, be ready with at least ISO1600 and a f2.8 lens. The higher ISO performance you have the better and the faster the lens the better of course (Eg. ISO3200 performance; 50mm f1.4 ).
It depends on how much noise and loss of sharpness you can live with, but increasing ISO is a reality in your case.
Also note that it does not mean you should not look for better light.
Eg. In a concert; wait for the spot light to shine on the subject before snapping or when a particular scene has better lighting.

In most situation, flash is allowed, while in places where they are not allowed, these places are normally bright enough for live broadcasting, so reasonable fast lens will do but you must have also reasonable skill. What I don't like about some newbies like you is that you continue to stick to your own opinion and refused to listen to most and you said we are condescending.

Anthony Lee,

Would love to ask you to elaborate but it is a waste of time. Look through how I start the posting and how I concluded it. All were suggestions from bros here and I went for it. I would even explore using flash to improve. Am I still wondering whether it is nikon or canon? So please, you were a newbie once so get off your high horse.

If you don't like my thread or newbies like me you do not have to waste time posting your thoughts to antagonize me. I am a newbie but I am not a kid.

Hi Enzeru 21 - Thank you. It is people like you that makes this hobby a more joyful one.

Am I still wondering whether it is nikon or canon?
I thought is has been mentioned many times: it's simply not important. Canon or Nikon or any other brand is a matter of personal taste, existing experiences or equipment, friends to share with or other soft factors. In terms of specs and technical details both brands deliver, and some other brands do the same.
Possible solution: go to the shops and hug all cameras there. Check the menus, buttons, dials.. see what fits your hands. No point getting a supposedly better camera brand if you start cursing the position of some buttons during shooting.
Comments about more natural colours / vibrant colours / whatnot are rather esoteric. You can find many test results in www.dpreview.com. DSLR are meant to process the image later - which will ultimately have a much greater impact on the image.