Canon VS Nikon

i like made in Japan rather than made in china...

Yup, made in Japan with internal camera assemblies like components, flex cables, PCB's, plastics that are made in china, taiwan or elsewhere.

Does the origin of made really matters? A made in china 50mm f1.8D might last even longer than a made in japan 28-70 f2.8ED.

i wont bother anyway since equipment is just a tool to get you where u want faster..

i feels more comfortable with made in Japan.. it's up to your convenient level to buy the product. hopefully their internal component also made in Japan.. there is nothing wrong with made in china.. except those melamine in the milk scandal..

I wun mind where the camera is made of, if i mind that Nikon is made in thailand, i will go for Canon a long time ago...

so what will Japan ppl do?

japan will be the headquarters...design/research centre...procurement office... mass pro will definitely not be in japan anymore due to the high overheads. So are many companies in Sg.

I know for some crucial parts, Japan still wana do it themselves. But only in relatively smaller quantities.

Last edited:
japan will be the headquarters...design/research centre...procurement office... mass pro will definitely not be in japan anymore due to the high overheads. So are many companies in Sg.

I know for some crucial parts, Japan still wana do it themselves. But only in relatively smaller quantities.

I wonder if we'll see a China-branded DSLR manufacturer try to enter the market in the near future...

On holiday to Japan bought a canon compact camera that made in japan. Less than a year dead pixels on the LCD. Complete a year the lens jam. So the camera down. So what great about product Made In Japan if this problem arises. :angry: :bheart: :thumbsd:

I wonder if we'll see a China-branded DSLR manufacturer try to enter the market in the near future...

I thot of that before..but will you buy?:bsmilie:
China is good at buying brands, not building. They can't build a car maker like GM, but they can definitely buy one. So now the question is, can they buy over Leica:sweatsm:

they would have to buy over an existing company. i think Lenovo (chinese-owned?) bought over IBM personal computers right?

But for cameras you have the issue of lenses and other accessories.
Compatability is a huge issue.
They'll have to build a brand from scratch, which is probably hard... hence the absence of a Chinese DSLR brand even today...
[oh gosh... maybe there already IS one, just that I'm unaware! :bsmilie:]

I thot of that before..but will you buy?:bsmilie:
China is good at buying brands, not building. They can't build a car maker like GM, but they can definitely buy one. So now the question is, can they buy over Leica:sweatsm:

Thing is, the local Chinese are so hung up about brands in photography that they themselves will not buy a Chinese branded DSLR.

They are a lot more information savvy than the average Singaporean. You seldom see a newbie in China get their carrot head chopped like the newbies in Singapore. They know the pricing even before they step into the camera malls. And they do a hell lot of research before they buy a camera. And if you've seen the camera malls there, you will understand what is "volume" sales.

they would have to buy over an existing company. i think Lenovo (chinese-owned?) bought over IBM personal computers right?

But for cameras you have the issue of lenses and other accessories.
Compatability is a huge issue.
They'll have to build a brand from scratch, which is probably hard... hence the absence of a Chinese DSLR brand even today...

Yup. Lenovo is Chinese brand. And yup they bought over the PC division, but US law dictates they cannot sell the server division to Lenovo.

None la bro. But I have been wishing we get a YongNuo DSLR soon... and I bet it will be Nikon F mount. ;):bsmilie:

you mean this?
patriot-aigo.jpg

Thing is, the local Chinese are so hung up about brands in photography that they themselves will not buy a Chinese branded DSLR.

They are a lot more information savvy than the average Singaporean. You seldom see a newbie in China get their carrot head chopped like the newbies in Singapore. They know the pricing even before they step into the camera malls. And they do a hell lot of research before they buy a camera. And if you've seen the camera malls there, you will understand what is "volume" sales.

I know some pure chinese friends who swear by Japanese branded photography system.. asked about China made? They said they would turn out sh**.:sweatsm:
btw, they are rather brand conscious...not blind to just buy anything made in CN.

you mean this?
I know some pure chinese friends who swear by Japanese branded photography system.. asked about China made? They said they would turn out sh**.:sweatsm:
btw, they are rather brand conscious...not blind to just buy anything made in CN.

Now THIS ONE you can gaffer up like crazy (add nonya or cinamon flavor for added pleasure! :bsmilie:) with MIC gaffer tapes!...

Hi All

I'm a total noob in DSLR but I'm planning to get a DSLR maybe around Sept period and I need a few advice on the 2 major brand, Canon & Nikon(No Pentax or Sony as I'm looking for a brand that has many accessory available in the market to go along with it)

Initially I was thinking between the 550D & D90, been playing around with both DSLR at my store for bout 2 months + and can anyone correct me on the below?

1)Canon has good balancing in terms of photography & Movie mode but Nikon has superb Picture quality, true or false?

2)Canon 550D body it quite small & light make me feel like holding a toy, D90 is quite sturdy in built but I find most of the function is quite complicate which I may get used to it in the long run

3)Canon Lens are EX, espcially the USM one, Nikon VR II Lens are cheaper, but what is the major differents that make canon lens more expensive?

4)Canon is starting to make their DSLR SDXC ready but Nikon is still lacking in terms of megapixel, movie resolution etc...

My budget is around 3K+ which I'm planning to get a body + a Zoom & Macro lens so anybody have any suggestion should I go for?
Buy one which you can afford and works well. Be it a 1Ds Mk999 or a D50.