Canon Supersize seminar with Geoff Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geoff Ang rocks! I'm glad I attended his seminar again... I think he's really cool in sharing how he achieved certain shots and the set-up required. The jaguar story was really amusing... but it shows how a professional has no choice in a job, and the "die-die must make it work" kind of mentality. And while most photographers want to keep their techniques a secret, Geoff actually showed the EOS 5D Mk II shot which was used for the Supersize campaign, and how it was done in Photoshop.

I think everyone in the audience was wowed when he said the sharpness and details of the EOS 5D Mk II was amazing, and he proceeded to show it by going to 100% pixels in Photoshop. The clarity was blinding! :bsmilie:

At least now we know that the shot was done at f/10 using a EF 50mm lens on a EOS 5D Mk II on 29th Jan 2009. :think:

Well actually he had almost forgotten to talk about the making of the Supersize image until someone from the audience prompted him ....... :sweat:

Geoff Ang rocks! I'm glad I attended his seminar again... I think he's really cool in sharing how he achieved certain shots and the set-up required. The jaguar story was really amusing... but it shows how a professional has no choice in a job, and the "die-die must make it work" kind of mentality. And while most photographers want to keep their techniques a secret, Geoff actually showed the EOS 5D Mk II shot which was used for the Supersize campaign, and how it was done in Photoshop.

I think everyone in the audience was wowed when he said the sharpness and details of the EOS 5D Mk II was amazing, and he proceeded to show it by going to 100% pixels in Photoshop. The clarity was blinding! :bsmilie:

At least now we know that the shot was done at f/10 using a EF 50mm lens on a EOS 5D Mk II on 29th Jan 2009. :think:

i think he's great...awe-worthy...resilient...what he said still rings in my head...practice...practice...practice...

He showed how high the barrier to entry is, with all the scrims, assistants, stylists, retouching, etc needed to make a world-class image.

Absolutely kills the idea that any GWC with a DSLR and Photoshop can undercut him.

It'd be great to see a pro wedding photographer though, to see how he differentiates himself from the rest of the crowd.

i think he's great...awe-worthy...resilient...what he said still rings in my head...practice...practice...practice...

He showed how high the barrier to entry is, with all the scrims, assistants, stylists, retouching, etc needed to make a world-class image.

Absolutely kills the idea that any GWC with a DSLR and Photoshop can undercut him.

It'd be great to see a pro wedding photographer though, to see how he differentiates himself from the rest of the crowd.

Yup, fully agree. He did mentioned it is all about team work.
Have to thanks Canon to make this talk possible and some more free of charge :thumbsup:

Woo. an F/10 for a night shot ? You know what's the shutter speed and ISO ?

The shutter speed is at 1/60 sec & ISO 100 on a 5D Mk II & a 50mm f/1.2 L lens if I can still recalled. Of course not forgetting the strobes lah.
I can see that the layers that made up to the final pics is not that difficult to be done. But the tacky part is the 2nd compressed layer (where all the touch-up of blemishes & imperfections). That's the stuff that's pretty hard to get to. But, it can be done with some practice.

Yup, fully agree. He did mentioned it is all about team work.
Have to thanks Canon to make this talk possible and some more free of charge :thumbsup:

If Canon can sponsored part of their equipments, why not? Hahahaha.... Anyway, I'm just guessing only... No offend to whoever you are out there. Cheers to Canon too.

Last edited:
The shutter speed is at 1/60 sec & ISO 100 on a 5D Mk II & a 50mm f/1.2 L lens if I can still recalled. Of course not forgetting the strobes lah.
I can see that the layers that made up to the final pics is not that difficult to be done. But the tacky part is the 2nd compressed layer (where all the touch-up of blemishes & imperfections). That's the stuff that's pretty hard to get to. But, it can be done with some practice.

Smoothing of complexions us nothing unusual, everyone does it, it's just how porcelain one wants it.

Smoothing of edges of a car shows attention to detail, as does filling in light streaks to create a desired effect.

I really learned a lot from Geoff yesterday! I guess he's not afraid to show how he did it because even someone else with all the same equipment tries to duplicate his work, its the experience behind him that produced a fantastic image!

My take home message is "Practice hard, work hard! There is no short-cut to world class images!"

By the way, I was seated in front and someone behind me was busy snapping images of his slides all through the talk! I guess he figures he can reverse-engineer Geoff's work? If that's the case, then I'm afraid he missed the point of the whole talk - 'It's not where you take it from... it's where you take it to!"

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery — celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to.

Jim Jarmush

If cannon sponsored part of their equipments,everyone will start to stay over night include you and me.

If cannon sponsored part of their equipments,everyone will start to stay over night include you and me.

I really learned a lot from Geoff yesterday! I guess he's not afraid to show how he did it because even someone else with all the same equipment tries to duplicate his work, its the experience behind him that produced a fantastic image!

My take home message is "Practice hard, work hard! There is no short-cut to world class images!"

By the way, I was seated in front and someone behind me was busy snapping images of his slides all through the talk! I guess he figures he can reverse-engineer Geoff's work? If that's the case, then I'm afraid he missed the point of the whole talk - 'It's not where you take it from... it's where you take it to!"
ouh..that old man with his 70-200?hahahaha

everytime Geoff change slide...*snap*...hahaha

That's what we need. Happy shooting & enhancing.

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery — celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to.

Jim Jarmush

Jim Jarmush
well said!

ouh..that old man with his 70-200?hahahaha

everytime Geoff change slide...*snap*...hahaha

very irritating !
together with a young chap on his left!

all his pictures are available on his website!

I can still understand why some of the participants would like to capture Geoff's work, cuz they're truly inspirational. What I don't understand... is the last part of Geoff's section where the elderly guy keep heckling Geoff during the Q&A session.

And to think that Geoff is nice enuff to answer his "questions" time and again... really wasted the opportunity for others to ask more questions!

I can still understand why some of the participants would like to capture Geoff's work, cuz they're truly inspirational. What I don't understand... is the last part of Geoff's section where the elderly guy keep heckling Geoff during the Q&A session.

And to think that Geoff is nice enuff to answer his "questions" time and again... really wasted the opportunity for others to ask more questions!

Geoff Ang is amazing. very 'trueful' guy.

Nice guy...was in the same NS unit as him 15 years ago. Back then, he was already the unit "official" photographer. His father runs a photo studio so Geoff probably started learning from a very young age.

Nice guy...was in the same NS unit as him 15 years ago. Back then, he was already the unit "official" photographer. His father runs a photo studio so Geoff probably started learning from a very young age.

oh no wonder. was thinking if i should ask how and what equip did he started out with, because obviously there wasn't any photoshop then and digital cameras.
but now i guess he had his experiences with MF since young, eventually went into event/fashion photography cause that's where the money is.

really nice fellow to share and provide valuable insights to his work.
bet canon threw in an entire set of 5D MkII + lens for him and of course, his fee for the workshop. Definitely worth their $$ for marketing. Would love to see more of him, esp when the new 1Ds Mark IV is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.