Dec 19, 2005
img0004mediumuo8.jpg

Taken on a moving boat cruise at night, no flash, no tripod were used

img0078smallfy9.jpg

Taken from an observation tower, at 273th floor.. no tripod, no flash used

img0079smallje7.jpg

Shanghai Magnetic Bullet Train at 431km/h

img0226smalldx5.jpg

Shot in full manual control mode, placed camera on a ledge..

img1479smallwc2.jpg

Macro shot of a bee... =)

img1094smallbn3.jpg

Nightshot taken without tripod, and flash

img1051smallpv5.jpg

Romance of the three kingdoms

Hi all senior, professional photographers, this is my noobie attempt at photography during my recent trip to shanghai.. i am using a entry range consumer powershot a570IS, as i dun have the budget for higher range cameras like S5IS and dun even need to mention dSLR... kindly drop some comments on it..

the photos taken are not photoshoped, and etc.. direct from the camera.. and no tripod was used, except in 1 photo... for the long exposure effect..

i feel as a normal consumer, this camera is quite worth getting.. :) though its low light photography is still not that good, but seriously i have no regrets getting this over F31fd ;p as powershot has full manual controls and excellent day shots... check out my night / low light shots above, all taken hand held... :bsmilie:

if an entry range Canon Powershot A570IS could achieve this, can't imagine how roxz the higher range series would be!!! like S5IS? and the dSLR series

img0047smallid2.jpg

Taken from inside the plane, when the dawn is just breaking..

canon roxz! :cool:

Low light's not bad.

most of the low light photography were shot with ISO 400 or less, as this compact camera's noise handling beyond 800 is really not good... but i am happy with it, as it still allows me to take surprisingly good hand held night shots ;p

and ya, all were hand held except one..

most of the low light photography were shot with ISO 400 or less, as this compact camera's noise handling beyond 800 is really not good... but i am happy with it, as it still allows me to take surprisingly good hand held night shots ;p

and ya, all were hand held except one..

Just as long as you know its limitation, you can use a P&S camera to take amazing pictures. A photo is more than just sharpness or noiseless picture. Just as long as it has meaning and able to attract attention, you'll have a keeper. Do continue to use your camera and shoot more photos!

Just as long as you know its limitation, you can use a P&S camera to take amazing pictures. A photo is more than just sharpness or noiseless picture. Just as long as it has meaning and able to attract attention, you'll have a keeper. Do continue to use your camera and shoot more photos!

thank you... still learning to use the full manual controls... reason i get this PnS camera, is due to its full manual control, and uses AA batteries and pretty good features for its price... ;p haha.. girlfriend is a pro-canon supporter, so i got a bit brainwashed too.. would agree that canon is good.. i previously held another PnS camera, but its very limited in its limitations ;p

realised that most forumers in canon are pro-consumers, dSLR users.. hehe.. learning from you all :lovegrin: with my entry PnS camera :sweatsm:

thank you... still learning to use the full manual controls... reason i get this PnS camera, is due to its full manual control, and uses AA batteries and pretty good features for its price... ;p haha.. girlfriend is a pro-canon supporter, so i got a bit brainwashed too.. would agree that canon is good.. i previously held another PnS camera, but its very limited in its limitations ;p

realised that most forumers in canon are pro-consumers, dSLR users.. hehe.. learning from you all :lovegrin: with my entry PnS camera :sweatsm:

No sweat. You can enjoy photography even with a toy camera:bsmilie: Just have fun!

how much u bought????

how much u bought????

around $380+ from mscolor, comes with free SD card, battery charger and batteries..

i bought this way back in May.... :)
do note that its only 5% gst last time....

img1479og0.jpg

Closeup from previous marco.... 100% crop

img0041smallnh0.jpg

A quick snap inside the plane

img0059smallti8.jpg

The signboard for the bullet train in shanghai

img0067smalluq2.jpg

Map for Shanghai metro

img0071smalllf7.jpg

Inside the bullet train, where max speed is 431km/h

img0124smalluw4.jpg

Outdoor shot

img0215smallsn3.jpg

More outdoors

img0298smallbm5.jpg

More outdoors

img0313smalljh1.jpg

More outdoors

img0675smallvm5.jpg

Stero signboard

img0780smalldg2.jpg

Indoor shots

img0948smallxy0.jpg

Extreme low light photography, shot from 10 rows of seats away

img0952ur6.jpg

Same as the above

img0970ar8.jpg

Same as the above

img1308smallps8.jpg

Inside an art gallery

As a normal consumer, i was pretty sad when i couldn't find any threads on this entry PnS camera whose array of functions won me over.. The above are shots taken directly from my camera, for those who are considering to buy this camera... hehe.. i am glad i bought this "toy" camera...

S5IS is too big for me, ixus is too small for me and expensive, dSLRs are too expensive and bulky... left with only Powershot! hehe

noticed abit of distortion on the latest pic you had shared..

given the price you paid, its $ well spent..

side note, i started out on digital using a PowerShot too... but thats a super grandfather model, A80, a 4mp compact.. (at that time in 2004, it cost me $600+ :bigeyes: ) compact cameras has come a long way since then..

noticed abit of distortion on the latest pic you had shared..

given the price you paid, its $ well spent..

side note, i started out on digital using a PowerShot too... but thats a super grandfather model, A80, a 4mp compact.. (at that time in 2004, it cost me $600+ :bigeyes: ) compact cameras has come a long way since then..

that is barrel distortion right, i stood quite near the shelf? ya.. paid $380+, with 2Gb SD card, 4AA GP batteries and charger, think quite a good deal...

actually wanted to get F31fd, but noticed their manual controls are limited.. so end up being brain washed after researching and set my eyes on this camera :bsmilie: my gf also got A80 in 2004, abit of brain washed by here... but overall quite happy with this powershot, feature packed, and mmz.. prize is quite cheap... :lovegrin:

really amazing to see how prices for digital cameras have plummered :p

these days, canon camera's low light photography are quite good liaoz.. but of course must know the limitations of the camera.. hehe.. all photos except 1 are handheld... :bsmilie:

i was considering btw this cam and fuji f31

but this cam the iso control even at 400 is quite bad...

but it has full manual though

i was considering btw this cam and fuji f31

but this cam the iso control even at 400 is quite bad...

but it has full manual though

well sort of, coz that place it's really extreme low light... only the stage got lights, and i was 10 rows away from the stage...

somemore the lighting used were dim...

well pros and cons, if you want a full manual control camera, then powershot series (apart from dSLR of coz)...

if you want a fool proof good low light camera, then F31 is ur best bang.. but just a note, i have seen full resolution photos of F31 taken at ISO800, 1600, 3200.. the photos at ISO800 is really nothing to shout about... coz of inner NR techniques used... some of the photos were like ....

if you always shoot in extreme low light... then F31 is ur best bang, coz other than that... lol... there are better cameras out there than F31... :lovegrin:

some summary of reviews to help you get going... :bsmilie:
like you, last time i was thinking over this or F31fd... but for me, i am glad i made my final purchase on A570IS, coz it really grows into you... :)

for me, the image quality of Canon rocks! abeit at higher ISO its noisy.. but still it retains the details... some cameras apply NR too much, and even at low iso the photos are soft, and not sharp :nono:

========================================================================================

Canon PowerShot A570 IS Reviews
CNET has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "Image quality was impressive, especially at lower ISOs, though we noticed some slight artifacts even at the camera's lowest sensitivity of ISO 80, which seemed to become exacerbated by the noise caused by higher ISOs. Still, colors looked accurate, there was plenty of shadow detail, and our images turned out very sharp. ... Overall, the PowerShot A570 IS is a solid compact camera that offers a lot of value for your money. We were a bit disappointed with its high ISO noise, but you'll be hard pressed to find a compact camera at a price like this that has manual exposure controls, optical image stabilization, flash output control, and speedy performance. Plus, similar to all the A-series cameras, this one runs on AA batteries, so if you run out of power, you don't need to wait for charging."

GoodGearGuide has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570IS and writes, "Traditionally, Canon cameras have been renowned for their image quality and in this regard the A570IS certainly impressed. When we opened up our preliminary test shots we were greeted by clean, smooth edges and great detail. The pictures were consistently sharp and crisp, showing that not only is the sensor excellent, but the image stabilisation technology works very well. Normally our outdoors tests return several blurry shots in amongst the clearer pictures, but we encountered none when using the A570IS. For those who find hand shake a problem, the image stabilisation (IS) on this model is an ideal solution."

Steve's Digicams has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "Image quality was excellent for a 7-megapixel consumer model. The default quality setting is Large Fine, and we did capture many of our regular sample photos in this mode. The rest were taken using Larger SuperFine, which is what we normally use. That said, the majority of our outdoor samples looked great, showing nice exposures, with beautiful sky detail, and pleasing color balance. Just as we saw with the A560, image noise was average when using ISO 80 - 200. ... like it's brother (A560), I was very happy with the Canon PowerShot A570 IS. With 7-megapixels of resolution, a 4x image stabilized optical zoom lens, 2.5-inch LCD, great movie mode, awesome image quality, and loads of useful exposure modes, the A570 is sure to be a very popular model for 2007. At US$279 or less (4/2007), it's only about $50 more than the A560, which we feel is well worth the added versatility of this new model. That said, the A570 will make an excellent choice for anyone who wants a capable, yet compact and affordable 7-meagpixel digicam."

Let's Go Digital has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "The image quality of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS camera is great. The colours are saturated and appear natural. The saturation is a bit strong for my taste, but that is a personal preference. ... Let it be clear: the Canon PowerShot A570 IS satisfied me all around. The compact format invites you to carry it with you at all times. The light weight combined with the optical image stabilizer ensures great user-friendliness, and add image quality to the mix and the Canon PowerShot A570 IS is a great camera."

DCResource has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "While it won't break any records, the A570 is a good performer overall. It starts up in 1.4 seconds, focuses quickly (even in low light), and shutter lag isn't an issue. Shot-to-shot delays are minimal. Like all recent Canon cameras, the A570's continuous shooting mode lets you keep shooting -- at 1.6 frames/second in this case -- until your high speed memory card fills up. Battery life was above average. Photo quality was very good. The A570 took well-exposed photos with pleasing color and sharpness, low noise through ISO 400 (in good light), and minimal purple fringing. While redeye continues to be a big problem, there's now a tool in playback mode that quickly removes this annoyance. Too bad you have to run it each time you want to remove redeye!"

Imaging Resource has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "The Canon A570 IS is a capable all-around camera with some high-end features that are more useful than exotic. High ISO is usable and image stabilization so useful you almost always want it enabled. Digital zoom was a bit of a disappointment on this 7.1-megapixel camera, but otherwise the DIGIC III image processor provided above average performance yielding some wonderfully natural shots in a variety of settings."

Trusted Reviews has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570 IS and writes, "In terms of image quality, the A570 has many good points and one or two not so good. Exposure and colour rendition are first class as one might expect, and dynamic range is surprisingly good for a 1/2.5-in sensor. The overall level of detail is good, but the lens does produce noticeable spherical distortion at the wide end of the zoom range, and corner sharpness is surprisingly poor. Refreshingly there is no sign of purple fringing even on the brightest highlights. Image noise is very low at up to 200 ISO, reasonable at 400, but becomes a real problem at 800. The 1600 ISO maximum sensitivity, which is touted as a feature of this model, is pretty much useless. However as long as you bear this limitation in mind the PowerShot A570 IS is capable of turning in good results under varied lighting conditions, and will seldom disappoint."

Digital Camera Info has a review of the Canon PowerShot A570IS and writes, "Sadly, more than a few PowerShot A570ISs will likely end up damaged or broken. However, for just over $200, the PowerShot A570IS is a bargain for casual users, who will benefit from its hefty feature set. The face detection and image stabilization combination will save, conservatively, gazillions of snapshots taken by the careless, clueless or chemically-compromised user. It's less likely that the A570IS's other advances – a 7.1-megapixel sensor and a high-end ISO of 1600 – will help users as much, though their inclusion, coupled with the camera's manual controls and exceptional color performance, make the A570IS an unusual bargain at its price."

Digital Camera Review has a review of the Canon Powershot A570 IS and writes, "With great image and color quality, image stabilization, excellent shutter lag and continuous shooting capability, manual controls and versatile “auto” performance, this camera can ably serve a novice who never leaves the “auto” setting or provide a learning tool for someone looking to get some manual experience before possibly jumping into the DSLR world. The optional teleconverter gives the camera a 245mm focal length to bring those distant subjects a bit closer. Overall, anyone who wants good performance at a very reasonable price should give serious consideration to the A570 IS."

Status
Not open for further replies.