Status
Not open for further replies.
Zplus said:
Hehe! Expect to see these vest in B&S after a few days.:D
Hiak hiak :devil:

Zplus, loan me ur 20D? :)

duckizz said:
ooo i'm from barker too ! :)
newbies shldnt shun from the photomarathon.... cos the way marathon operates kinda gives everyone fair grounds to attempt

lol I'm from Dover. Nice to meet you. :D

espn said:
Hiak hiak :devil:

Zplus, loan me ur 20D? :)

Hahaha! I lend you my Canon S10 lah, solid chunk of metal at 2 megapix... light and easy to carry! Sure win the marathon... no sweat...
:bsmilie:

Haha, same thing lah. Barker, Dover, all the same. :D So you going?

Just sharing my views:

1) Regarding the clause about free use of your submitted photos, organisers can state their T&C within some boundary (i.e. nothing illegal). If you join, that means you agree. If you don't agree, then you should not join. A lot of competition has this clause. For instance, the Mediacorp 70th anniversary Radio Jingle Competition states that Mediacorp can use all submitted songs without paying royalties to the songwriter, and no obligation to acknowledge the songwriter. Of course, as zaren mentioned in post #17, if your work is crap, organisers won't use it.

2) No image software allowed to alter photos? What about camera built-in features, e.g. some cams allow cropping, sepia/monotone effects?

3) The top prize is a P&S consumer digital camera, so I assume DSLR-users who join this competition are not for the prize but for experience and recognition.

I think it's safe to assume that this Photomarathon contest target audience is casual photographers with normal cameras having a day of fun. It's not a professional photographic competition, so the T&C is not very extensive.

4) If you are a 'semi-pro' wanting to take the opportunity of the event to have fun, take some fabulous photos, get freebies and yet not wanting to give-away your masterpieces to the organiser, then just sign-up, shoot, and not submit any photos lah! There is no clause stating that if you don't submit any photos, you will have to return your freebies or compensate!

Carry on, gentlemen!

Zplus said:
Hahaha! I lend you my Canon S10 lah, solid chunk of metal at 2 megapix... light and easy to carry! Sure win the marathon... no sweat...
:bsmilie:
Cannot la... I prefer DSLRs ma. You must try to tempt me to join the white side ma :bsmilie: 20D better, or 1D MKII also can :bsmilie:

pianodancer said:
... A lot of competition has this clause. For instance, the Mediacorp 70th anniversary Radio Jingle Competition states that Mediacorp can use all submitted songs without paying royalties to the songwriter, and no obligation to acknowledge the songwriter. Of course, as zaren mentioned in post #17, if your work is crap, organisers won't use it.
...!

Mm.. just let me say what I think to my own opinion.
Most of the competitions say "They have the right to use the WINNING Entries" and yes, some of the competitions say "They have the right to use ALL Submitted Entries".

Honestly, I dont mind the first type at all. Cos its the winning entry, they've given you a prize, and they take the right, you still get credited. More than fair.

But, second one (ALL Submitted Entries), its very questionable. Yes, big companies like MediaCorp, or Canon wouldnt do such things. We can trust their brand. They wont use if your shots are lousy, and they will not spoil their brand by cheating you in most cases.

However, there are some lousy/cunning small companies try to cheat photographers by making competitions with such clauses, and finally, all those images ended up in their "Stock Image CDs" which they even sell to people without any acknowledgment of the artists, and they dont even give you credits. And beware of such competitions, and clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.