Canon Photomarathon 2009 is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh...virus, trojan....all that can only happen to PC. Wonder why apple did not sponsor the event this year. For the past 5 years when they are using Mac, they do not have such problem. My photo for the first assignment was "cut" from my card. The lady did not do a "copy and paste" function. Sigh.....now my first photo is gone.

That's also part of the reason why i never bothered to take part in these photomarathons. I just go there accompany friends and shoot for fun.

Just quarantine or remove the trojan entirely.

good point! Done that! now reformatting whole memory card and i juz burnt all the images straight to a DVD , don't wish to xfer to com in fear of other happenings

Well. My macbook doesn't detect any virus. Need to check in office on monday but I find that the printing station anyhow handle my CF. As most of laptop now need to eject the card before removing, the person who handle my didn't do it. THEY JUZ UNMOUNT IT FROM THE READER. Lucky my card is still able to read.

good point! Done that! now reformatting whole memory card and i juz burnt all the images straight to a DVD , don't wish to xfer to com in fear of other happenings

I did a normal transfer to my laptop and no probs at all.

Well. My macbook doesn't detect any virus. Need to check in office on monday but I find that the printing station anyhow handle my CF. As most of laptop now need to eject the card before removing, the person who handle my didn't do it. THEY JUZ UNMOUNT IT FROM THE READER. Lucky my card is still able to read.

Fortunately my CF card still ok. Next time i won't transfer anymore pics in this event. It's the first and last time.

I am also very disappointed with how they managed our memory cards.

After copying into their laptop, they just pluck out the memory card without even Click on 'Safely Remove Hardware'. What happens if the card is still in the reading process, there goes my memory card.

These people should be trained to handle things properly instead of just employing them to copy files without proper usage knowledge.

Unplug while reading still OK. But Unplug while writing is disaster! Most of the card damage is when the card is writing..

Unplug while reading still OK. But Unplug while writing is disaster! Most of the card damage is when the card is writing..

They won't unplug while writing lah, but unplug while reading is just as bad.

That's also part of the reason why i never bothered to take part in these photomarathons. I just go there accompany friends and shoot for fun.

Hahaha ... u are rite!! i got better things to do too.

seriously if a card can be corrupted just because wasnt "ejected" properly .....something wrong with the design. I use cards of various brands and very very rarely ever do a proper eject and still they work fine.

same here... sometimes if in a hurry i dont bother to eject properly just unplug the card or the thumbdrive and so far i never had any faulty card/thumbdrive, just a lost one :p

seriously if a card can be corrupted just because wasnt "ejected" properly .....something wrong with the design. I use cards of various brands and very very rarely ever do a proper eject and still they work fine.

Never take it for granted.

For Vista/Xp still ok. but i cannot guarantee for Win2k. :)

Ok guys, There is a virus detected in my card at the moment BUT I am not sure if it's the virus at the stations. This is it. Detected by AVS and Norton.

OBJECT NAME J:\autorun.inf
DETECTION NAME: Virus indentified Worm/AutoRun.BR
OBJECT TYPE: file
SDK: Core
Result: Moved to Virus Vault

This is a SD Card virus. By default your PC will enable autoplay for all media and devices, so if your PC read this SD Card you sure kenna this virus. It will add a startup program which will spread the virus to all the external HDD and SD cards you plug to your PC.

To kill in manually you need to use software explorer under windows defender to check for a suspicious startup program that doesn't have a company name, remove the entry from the list of startuo programs. Next remove the file physically from your harddisk. To prevent your PC from getting the virus in the future, disable autoplay for all media and devices under default programs.

since canon photomarathon ended...

this thread also end b4 mod shift it to kopitiam.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.