Canon Or Sigma Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for saving pennies, especially if photography is just a hobby, but since you have already invested in a nice camera body, and will possibly spend a significant amount of time in the near future to learn up photography, why not go for a really nice lens. Consider the 70-200 f4 L USM, can be gotten for ard $1K used off the B&S. Yes, $700 difference is a lot of money, but in this case I think its worth spending. You can still re-sell it for little loss later if you wish.

Btw, I used to have the Sigma 70-300 APO. A nice little lens, and I really liked it. But the image quality really pales in comparison with the the 'L' zooms.

dkw said:
I'm all for saving pennies, especially if photography is just a hobby, but since you have already invested in a nice camera body, and will possibly spend a significant amount of time in the near future to learn up photography, why not go for a really nice lens. Consider the 70-200 f4 L USM, can be gotten for ard $1K used off the B&S. Yes, $700 difference is a lot of money, but in this case I think its worth spending. You can still re-sell it for little loss later if you wish.

Btw, I used to have the Sigma 70-300 APO. A nice little lens, and I really liked it. But the image quality really pales in comparison with the the 'L' zooms.

The Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 USM is a better choice.

Snoweagle said:
The Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 USM is a better choice.

Yes, of course, but its at least $500 more than the f4 version, and the OP is looking at a $300 lens! It might be a bit too much of a stretch for him. I have the f2.8 IS version and frankly am looking to downgrade to the f4 for cost savings and greater portability.

dkw said:
Yes, of course, but its at least $500 more than the f4 version, and the OP is looking at a $300 lens! It might be a bit too much of a stretch for him. I have the f2.8 IS version and frankly am looking to downgrade to the f4 for cost savings and greater portability.

If i were you i'll keep that lens. AP funan's selling the 2.8 IS at $3150 and the non IS at around slightly over $2k.

The f4 one is nice and light but picture quality if printed out have a difference to the f2.8 one. Of cos u pay for what u get, it's only whether one can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.