Canon or Nikon DSLR which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold my 300D for a D70.

If I were to choose betwen a D70 and a 10D, I would pick the 10D.

If I can wait few more months, I'll pick the Fuji S3, vs the 10D.

(My choices were 75% F-mount and 25% Canon-mount).

Best of luck in your choice.
charles

Marketing people at nikon,
between 40 to 60 years old. (very slow, always follow the lead as usual)

Marketing people at canon,
between 25 to 40 years old. ( very fast to come new ideas, the leader)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Instead of going for brand name, the very first requisite should be:

BE OBJECTIVE

Just want to share my experiences in deciding which system to go.
At first I almost fell into the 'function' trap did decide to go for D70.
Then I sat down, grabbed a piece of paper and pen and wrote down what I really needed and what I really like and dislike about both bodies.
Followings were my take:

1. I really like CMOS and it's silky smooth ISO100. Of course you can post process noisy photos with the likes of Neat Image. But then again, if you can get it out-of-the-box with no signal loss, why not?

2. I really like the green done by Canon processors and better red for Nikon. But I am more into macro, nature and landscapes. So...

3. Upon scrutinizing several times and comparing photos from both cameras in dpreview.com, I found several artefacts in D70 samples (of course only after some enlargement & I could be over critical here) and actually prefered images by 300D when compared side-by-side with D70 in Phil's example. Again, this is strictly personal taste.

4. On prints, Canon appeared to be 'print friendlier'. Perhaps images produced by Nikon were over sharpened in-camera. That could help a bit by reducing the sharpness level in Nikon system but overall, to my eyes, Canon still produces a more 'natural' look.

5. The functions in D70 was impressive. But with the hack, I have great fun with 300D. At least at this stage, although 300D may have less manual functions than D70, I still have a hell lot to experiment with and by the time I'm through with it, new generations of camera bodies are already out.

6. Lens prices for Canon are really hard to beat. Some might say it's not significant. But hey, even if it's $100 difference and the quality is comparable, it's a lot of difference!

7. D70 is black. Indeed. But I like the dark silver in 300D better.

8. 300D has cable release. Interestingly, this cable thingie looks unimportant but I use it very often so it's something I don't want to forego.

I could go on and on but what I am trying to say here (& don't want to start a flame war as some might want to suggest) is that no camera body is perfect.
It's how you find a solution to it.
Finally, if I don't mind the hasslement and piling dozens of lenses, I would have gone for both D70 & 300D because D70 is lightning fast & 300D has really nice green!

Just my 2 cents. :p

really canon is :thumbsup:
nikon is :thumbsup:
toss a coin, if i dun help sorry.

actually go and hold both cameras side by side, which feel you like, buy it.

justdoit said:
wah. This topic again.

Very simple, you go and ask around how many people switch from Canon to Nikon and how many from Nikon to Canon?
The statistics and feedback is the answer.

It is a bit hard for consumer of brand A to criticize brand A. coz it seems like he made a wrong decision of buying this product. But to me, why bother?

Let's say Canon is better, I hope there will still people who buy Nikon. So Canon will not dominate the market and take advantage of consumer.
Let them compete and bring down the price of DSLR and L lens.
You assume that your idea stands only because it rests upon a presumption that consumer choices are rational. The Canon marketing strategy has been modelled strongly after the Intel one. It uses numbers and technical feats to lure consumers into making purchases (regardless of whether they actually harness that infinitesimal difference it makes to them). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that marketing strategy; in fact I applaud it. It is a great way to sell things, and I would do the same if I were selling technology.

But your suggestion may not be that useful to a new buyer, it's more useful to marketing analysts. Its a good point, just that may not help our new friend here make his decision; in fact it may make him more confused.

I think if you want to make a purchase, just decide on what suits you. Check out both sides and get the one that suits you wallet and needs. That's most important. The right tool for the right job.

I use a D2h for digital to make many, many shots. I use my Leica R to take PAN F shots for enlargements. I use my Hasselblad 501CM for taking my time to make images I want to keep and blow up for exhibitions. And I use an Olympus Mju II that belongs to my sister for fun trips to beaches at Bali etc.

Take your time, make your pick, either one you choose is a great way. Won't make that much difference to your photographic creations, just the way you make them.

Icebrooke makes a very good point. The Canon marketing marvel has been one of the great successes of the photography revolution in the last 20 years. Their product strategy, if not necessarily their products, have also been excellently planned out.

Very important, buy what your friends buy. ;)

you can also try this, if you like the Canon forum pple then buy Canon, if you like Nikon forum users better. get Nikon. :D

erwinx said:

These are consider old articles in the digital age. Given another year, things will change. Possible Canon buy Nikon or vice versa? And you will have Cankon? :bsmilie:

BTW Ironically, these articles didn't stop thousands of users from buying D70 and people from selling 300D.

icebooke said:
You assume that your idea stands only because it rests upon a presumption that consumer choices are rational. The Canon marketing strategy has been modelled strongly after the Intel one. It uses numbers and technical feats to lure consumers into making purchases (regardless of whether they actually harness that infinitesimal difference it makes to them). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that marketing strategy; in fact I applaud it. It is a great way to sell things, and I would do the same if I were selling technology.

Hi dude,

If consumer choice is not rational, then which consumer in this forum is rational? Anyway, relax. I am not saying Canon, Nikon or which which is better.

Let me say something on Nikon behalf.
I did a search on google with the keyword "canon to nikon" and got 146 links in return. Here are 2 of them.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/111733
http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-one?neighbor_to_neighbor_id=128164
Anyone have better link, pls post.

Canon flash I find a bit harsh, body less well built than Nikons and Canon 2nd hand items price doesn't drop much. I bought my canon 2nd hand. lolz.
The price is a major factor, you can't compare a EOS1V to F70, their prices differs alot.
True, Canon marketing and advertisement strategy is very good, else there won't be as many white lens in soccer field already.

true lah, camera is just a tool for photography. But tool is very important, isn't?

cheer up nikon.

depends on who u ask. a canon user would say canon, nikon user say nikon

I hope our friend is not getting more confused by many remarks and comments about Canon and Nikon. Go with your gut feel and decide. I do not think you will make a mistake one way or another. They have their own pros and cons.

You will be wasting time and energy to keep thinking about this, and miss the opportunities to shoot.

Buy one and start shooting..... The dslr models we are buying today will be more or less outdated in a couple of years anyways, so what is the difference....

in terms of image resolution and quality the canon CMOS on the 300d is the definite winner against the D70 as it does not produce any moiré on compressed JPEG images, which can be quite disgusting. But I would choose the D70 over the 300d anytime because i hate the dark silver on the rebel. the nikon is just plain sexy and fun to use. photography wouldnt be as fun with a camera you dont think is beautiful. I have a D100 and i think it is the most beautiful camera in the world (but of course thats not all a camera needs.)

HMC said:
Sorry, not to start a war but really just want to know if there are really more Cannon user out there like what those shops sales man told me. They claim that more user chose Cannon compare to other brand.
Tats because Canon hv a very good marketing strategy........ whereas Nikon lose out in advertising over the last few yrs as they always tot they are so good and ppl will always buy their brand......
Now Nikon finally realise their mistake and try to do more advertising now......

very simply:

tv1 cost $400, made in china. tv2 cost $400, also made in china/thailand/malaysia. both wouldn't last more than 2yrs before needing a service. tv1 offers teletext & nicam stereo. tv2 only teletext. which one would u buy? pic quality, not significantly different to the eyes.

technology advancement & features are one of the factors to consider when choosing a DSLR/SLR. look at how far AF has come, now USM & AFS. look at how far metering has come, now advance multi pattern. very useful & once u used it, u wudn't want to go back to the old ways. typewriter vs MS word.

gauge for yourself which budget gives u the best DSLR. i vote for 10D over D100. ;) no hard feelings. :thumbsup:

HMC said:
Those camera shops told me that it is better to invest in a Canon as it will be easier to buy and sell them off if need to. Just what to find out if that is true.

Are you buying Canon just because it can sell better? I think you better ask yourself this question again on "Which systems can sell better in the market?"
Camera shops sells plenty of stuffs. They will tell you all sorts. At the end of the day you will still make them happy as you are still buying something from them. Go to Cathay Photo and they tell you one story and go to Alan Photo and they tell you another story. This never ends........

Your initial question which is a better system to own..........and more useful to your needs. Most of us have suggested that you try out both systems. Photographers looks for system which feel comfortable plus reliabilty. Canons and Nikons have a reputation to maintain, so there is no answer to your question.......

Thank you...

HMC said:
Sorry, not to start a war but really just want to know if there are really more Cannon user out there like what those shops sales man told me. They claim that more user chose Cannon compare to other brand.

I think it is better for you to do a self analysis, which brand you prefers ... you cant be following it blindly rite ???? :sweat:

salesman can claim what they likes but it is still YOU who will do the purchase .... go and check which system you are comfortable with ... both are good but may not suit you ... they are still other brands around ... :bsmilie: and why ask only this 2 brands ... :p

for an average user or hobbyist, both systems are great. really really great. cant get wrong with either.

i once wanted to switch to canon cos of the full frame and the fast speed and the solid bodies etc. also the new lens that keeps popping up.

then i realise, i would never need the rock solid bodies and the ful frame etc cos i print a shot from d70 at A2 size for advertising for a pebble painting store. looks great!!!!

both systems will be good enough to bring you to professional level, unless you are looking for specific lens like a 5X macro or a 1200/5.6 lens. which i think only one of the above can provide. or a 70-210/4 .if not get into one and enjoy photography.

just to add, in the process of selling some of my nikon stuff, i come across 3 buyers who switch from canon to nikon. then when i want to buy some nikon stuff, online, i realise that these ppl just swith from nikon to canon and selling their gears.

thats one thing that keeps the world busy....ppl have their preference and aany market will at least be able to have 3 major players. human nature to compare and think they each made their own 'intellegent' choice.

just dont keep changing system. sucks all your money

Godzilla Invades said:
Are you buying Canon just because it can sell better? I think you better ask yourself this question again on "Which systems can sell better in the market?"
Camera shops sells plenty of stuffs. They will tell you all sorts. At the end of the day you will still make them happy as you are still buying something from them. Go to Cathay Photo and they tell you one story and go to Alan Photo and they tell you another story. This never ends........

Your initial question which is a better system to own..........and more useful to your needs. Most of us have suggested that you try out both systems. Photographers looks for system which feel comfortable plus reliabilty. Canons and Nikons have a reputation to maintain, so there is no answer to your question.......

Thank you...

Didn't really want to reply... but oh well for the fun of it ;)

For resale value, it's actually how well you take care of your equipment that commands the price, not the system itself.

Many items float around Buy/Sell, this is the norm, people's hands do get itchy at times, mine inclusive. :bsmilie: (I almost got a 10D when I was desperate...ALMOST) Having used both 10D and a D100 (both loaned), the most important thing I feel is to be used to the controls & their functionalities.

One will argue the red apple is nicer, the other will argue the green apple is nicer, the best choice is your taste.

I'll drag megaweb in again as an example, check out his gallery on the Oly C730, Oly E-1 review and also not forgetting he's a D60 Canon user, see the shots, it's good enough proofs that the photographer matters more, the system is almost secondary (after costs perhaps?).

Once you have the system, understand the cons and pros, work around the cons and push the pros.

Finally having crapped so much ( :bsmilie: ), get either one will do. Your skill really matters more, I'm still saving up for mine! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.