canon L lens

I suggest TS to rent the 24-70 first. The 24-70 may not be wide enough on crop. I rented once, and went to shoot events. The contrast and color is superb, which I didn't have to do much PP in it. Just that this lens, both 24-105 and 24-70 might be too heavy, not too well balanced on the 550D. However, TS may also consider the 17-55, wide enough, lighter and also superb in it's color and contrast.

The 17-55 is an extremely well made lens for crop sensors that u might want to consider. You can probably infer from ur existing lenses what is the rough focal length u need/want.

Ryan

which is more suitable to mount on a 550D?
canon 24-70mm or canon 24-105mm?

Im using 500d and have rent 24-70 before just to test before buying. The photo did not turn out to what i expect maybe its because of L lens put on a cheap body or there is no IS. But you can try for yourself before buying its better to waste less than $50 rather than $1000. In event shoot no matter what lens you using you will need a flash to go with it.

I agree with the fact that you should rent and try out first before deciding. Do take note these are Full Frame lenses, optimized for full frame sensors. Putting it on a APSC or rather higher pixel density camera will expect some slight degradation of picture quality, relative to attaching it on a FF body.

Both are suitable. The question is you. Are you more suitable for the 24-70 or the 24-105?

The 17-55 is an extremely well made lens for crop sensors that u might want to consider. You can probably infer from ur existing lenses what is the rough focal length u need/want.

Ryan

gotta mention this though. the 17-55 really sucks dust. spent 10 days shooting overseas in normal outdoor setting and the lens was practically covered in dust.

Neither. Ask yourself why do you need the 24-70/24-105? Is it because it's an L lens? Why not 17-55 f/2.8? Get them if you intend to upgrade to FF in the next 6mths or so... if not, save the money and get a 17-55mm or something similar.

If i were to recommend 1 out of these 2 lens, get the 24-70, especially for portraiture, I used this combination when i was using my 40D then, but it's too heavy and impractical for daily use. Maybe i'm lazy, i use prime 95% of the time. Cheers :)