Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS II review

good lens but no stock at most of the usual places... :(

Not worth the upgrade from my mark 1 :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: Second this. Still have good shots with my MK I though I've sold a few of 'em already. :bsmilie:

It's so good that even the Photozone reviewers themselves call it the 'benchmark', something that the N70-200 VR cannot match. :bsmilie: Now, Canon only needs to being their upcoming 14-24 and 24-70 f/2.8 IS to the same standard. :bsmilie:

It's so good that even the Photozone reviewers themselves call it the 'benchmark', something that the N70-200 VR cannot match. :bsmilie: Now, Canon only needs to being their upcoming 14-24 and 24-70 f/2.8 IS to the same standard. :bsmilie:

It's always interesting to see my friends switching from one brand to the others.... I wonder would anyone switches again if their upcoming lens are cheaper den the other offering.. :bsmilie:

this lens is insanely very good :thumbsup:

but i'd rather wait and buy 14-24 2.8L than replacing my Mk I.:sweat:

This is the ultimate portrait zoom lens.
No wonder so many ppl dumping the markI at BnS now. :p

Anyone know how much is the nikon 70200 VRII?

This is the ultimate portrait zoom lens.
No wonder so many ppl dumping the markI at BnS now. :p

Anyone know how much is the nikon 70200 VRII?

a friend recently bought it for ~$3.6K iirc...

Yup, Canon always not outstanding in WA...

Yup, Canon always not outstanding in WA...

Actually, that is a common fallacy. The Canon 10-22 and 17-55 f/2.8 IS lenses are both optically superior to the Nikon counterparts. Too bad they are EF-S. When it comes to EF mount, Nikon wide angle lenses are NEVER better than Canon counterparts EXCEPT for 14-24 f/2.8. Just look at their recent 16-35 f/4 VR and 24-70 f/2.8... acceptable but a far cry from their 14-24 f/2.8. I guess they just happen to stumble upon some magic formula for that one single wide angle lens. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I bought this fantastic lens in Hong Kong few days ago. Very very limited in stock even at the major camera shops.

Here are some shots, taken yesterday late cloudy afternoon:

The actual lens
img2154x.jpg

200mm f2.8 1/200 iso400
img2188o.jpg

155mm f2.8 1/500 iso200
img2165q.jpg

AF was lightning fast and accurate! All the ropes criss-crossing, yet the AF track the boy almost instantly.

200mm f2.8 1/250 iso200
img2187k.jpg

The bokeh is nice :thumbsup:
Congrats on your new lens

Last edited:
200mm f2.8 1/160 iso320
img2174t.jpg

70mm f4 1/40 iso200, panning
img2192q.jpg

All shots were taken on Canon 5D Mark II, no PP except resize.

My verdict: I have used the 70-200mm f4, 70-200mm f4 IS and now this lens. In my opinion, this lens is the sharpest, with the f4 IS trailing only slightly. AF is very very fast and accurate. The raving reviews I have read online about this lens is true indeed and the stock count for this lens is extremely low. I bought this lens at Wing Shing for close to HKD$19,000 within the hour the stock of 4 pieces arrived at the shop and I was the buyer of the 2nd piece. The other 2 were sold within the day. If you are planning of buying this lens, good luck in your quest for this marvel! Oh I must mention this, I spotted the lens inside a glass cabinet in one of those notorious "Sony Samsung" neon lights chop shop in Tsim Sha Tsui and the salesman quoted me HKD$22,500!! And no, I am not Caucasian aka Ang Mo. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
not surprise about its good review after looking at ISO charts from the digital picture
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice photos Daniz~! Got mine yesterday but havent got a chance to use it yet...