Canon EF 35mm (f/2) need advice

Haha:) Prob after I get my 35 Prime, then I consider selling my 18-135, to fund for a fast lens like the Tam 17-50 f2.8 VC, lose the focal, but better in terms of f stops and under low light. Also considering the 17-40L, not very good in f stops, neither the focal, but it's a L lens.

18-135 is an IS lens that works with the movie mode on 550D right? why do you want to sell it?

love my 35/2 to bits. use it way more often than all the other L lenses. i think it's best when used on a FF though. great for close-ups of food and across the table shots

HI may i ask u wats e closest focusing distance for this lens?
Cos i have e 50mm n cannot focus near n cant do food close ups at all..

edited: Just found e info liao.. can focus closest at 25cm, whereas e 50f1.8 is 45cm.. i can seriously consider this..

Last edited:
HI may i ask u wats e closest focusing distance for this lens?
Cos i have e 50mm n cannot focus near n cant do food close ups at all..

edited: Just found e info liao.. can focus closest at 25cm, whereas e 50f1.8 is 45cm.. i can seriously consider this..

now u know when i choose 35 over 50 ;p

Bought a used 35mm f2 for $250. Excellent match for my 40D. Tack sharp results even in low light- easily outperforming my Tamron 17-50 in such conditions. It's a good lens to have for a crop body.

Bought a used 35mm f2 for $250. Excellent match for my 40D. Tack sharp results even in low light- easily outperforming my Tamron 17-50 in such conditions. It's a good lens to have for a crop body.

I am deciding between the 35mm f2 and the tamron 17 - 50 non vc. Can advise in what sense is does the 35mm f2 outperform the tamron? :)

I am deciding between the 35mm f2 and the tamron 17 - 50 non vc. Can advise in what sense is does the 35mm f2 outperform the tamron? :)

Of course the 35f2 is not as flexible as the Tamron but for indoor shots, it has shallower bokeh and better sharpness. I wouldn't give up my Tamron though! It's a great all rounder and I think more useful most of the time.

mine is great

not lah not cos of the L.

i go for the focusing distance and build. the non L version a bit filmsy to me.

You pay for the Built Quality in a L

Prime lenses typical have better IQ than zooms, because because of the reduce in lens elements as well as it's design to optimised for that single focal length.

The price for the 35 L is a lot compared to the 35 f2.

I'll be getting this 35 f2 end of this month, once I sell of my bike.

Hopefully I will get the 85 1.8 together.

Some may have been curious why I am so into primes, only reason is cos I like the large aperture for low light and its small and neat lens to carry around.

Im wondering whether a Hoya HD or B+W MRC is better ?

You got very good prices for the used one
I sold my Tammy and get this lens too , no regret on the IQ
Only lose in the flexibility

Last edited:
You got very good prices for the used one
I sold my Tammy and get this lens too , no regret on the IQ
Only lose in the flexibility

You are right bro, one guy offered me $390 for a 2 years old 35mm f2..

Some may have been curious why I am so into primes, only reason is cos I like the large aperture for low light and its small and neat lens to carry around.

Pros for 35/f2 is the size and weight as the 35L is big and heavy.
and when looking though the viewfinder of your crop camera, it so much brighter now at f2, compare to normal zoom lens (indoor low light)

If you like prime, chances are you would be considering switch to a FF soon.

On a separate note, till date I have yet to hear people complain that they regret getting a B+W.. ;)

i prefer B+W over Hoya HD :)

my 35 and 135 using it. :)

If you like prime, chances are you would be considering switch to a FF soon.

On a separate note, till date I have yet to hear people complain that they regret getting a B+W.. ;)

I wish to have one, but still can't afford partly because I'm still a student..

maybe this will be my later on setup

- 18-135, back up or holiday
- 35mm, walkabout, street.. etc..
- 50mm, half body, ...
- 85mm, full face,..

I was wondering if the 85 prime has any problems ??

I wish to have one, but still can't afford partly because I'm still a student..

maybe this will be my later on setup

- 18-135, back up or holiday
- 35mm, walkabout, street.. etc..
- 50mm, half body, ...
- 85mm, full face,..

I was wondering if the 85 prime has any problems ??

For delicate prime user, FF is advisable than crop.

Had did a photo shoot with a 85L on crop before, no problem at that. Mainly is the distance between the model and photographer and the thin DOF that you need to get used to.

Last edited:
For delicate prime user, FF is advisable than crop.

Had did a photo shoot with a 85L on crop before, no problem at that. Mainly is the distance between the model and photographer and the thin DOF that you need to get used to.

sometimes the model sway around abit also can miss the focus.