Canon 70D: Which Kit and Offered Lens worth getting?

wavesurfer

Nov 12, 2009
Hi all,

My wife and I are new to DSLR photography and our experiences in photography have been with Panasonic Lumix GF1 (Micro four-thirds) since it was first launched. Now we are planning to buy a DSLR for better quality photos and are eyeing on Canon 70D after seeing its advertisement and promotion today.

We would like to use it for portrait photography (family and children; both indoors and outdoors) and travel photography (portraits + landscapes), so I would need your help to suggest which kit should we go for, and if the offered lens is worth buying?

Here are the information provided on this Canon 70D promotion:

Kits
EOS 70D Body - $ 1,499.00
EOS 70D Kit (EF-S18-55 IS STM) - $ 1,699.00
EOS 70D Kit II (EF-S18-135 IS STM) - $2,049.00
EOS 70D Kit III (EF-S18-200 IS) - $ 2,149.00

Offered Lens --- Is this worth buying?
EF S55-250 F4-5.6 IS II @$99 ( usual $499 )

Also, should I just get it from any authorised dealer (e.g. MS Color, Cathay) or from the MEGATEX show?

Thank you for your time and help!

Last edited:
Personally, if I were to go at it, I'll pick the 18-200 kit. Don't have to think about changing lens for other focal length (if comparing 18-55 + 55-250).

Also, you may want to eventually buy a flash for indoors situation where even high ISO couldn't handle, or outdoor when facing backlit portraits situations.

With that said, the mirrorless technology (e.g. EM-1, EM-5) have improved quite a long bit since the release of GF1, which you may also want to re-look at it. Also mirrorless cam is usually much much smaller than traditional dslr designs which you may also want to take into consideration.

**btw, you may want to call up the list of recommended shops in the price guide rather than heading down to the shops holding the promotion you saw in the papers. Usually those in the papers are selling at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) and the recommended shops are selling at Street Price (which usually is cheaper than RRP)

Last edited:
For me will go for kit with 18-135 STM. Can make use of STM technology on new 70D. And range is enough for general use.
As mentioned above, better check with recommend shop u listed. Last I checked for price of local set body only at $1.3k+.

But u mentioned use mainly for travel & family, so bring big DSLR around can be quite heavy.
I bought mirrorless cam so can bring around for outing etc, dun have to bring extra bag for DSLR when out. my DSLR are mainly for assignment purpose or if I know I won't be needed to walk around much during outing.

Skystrike, huatman,

Thanks for the replies and very useful information! Size is indeed a consideration too and we ain't very sure if we would have inconveniences carrying around a DSLR.

Besides getting a DSLR camera, we have also thought of getting the Panasonic Lumix GF4 (we do like GF1 but felt that the image quality isn't as good as we would have liked). So would GF4's image quality be comparable to a DSLR (say, 70D) now?

From what I understand, if we buy the GF4, we have to buy the kit lens with it too right? Would it be possible to buy without the lens since we already have GF1 and the lens?

Also, what flash would be recommended for a GF4? Previously, we went Alan Photos and Cathay Photos to look for flash for our GF1 but weren't given any recommendation. :(

Last edited:
Eh, what was wrong with the image quality of the GF1? Pls be specific :) I ask because in 99% of cases when users complain of poor image quality, it isn't the gear. FYI the GF1 image quality is up to making good poster size prints. A new DSLR will probably offer the advantages of lower noise in low light, the optical viewfinder (advantage or not, up to you), and better focusing in low light or for moving subjects.

My own preferences for the kit lenses: the 18-55 covers most things, is small, light and more than adequate IQ for most things. The previous 18-135 was a dog IMHO, but the new one seems way better. Don't have an opinion on the 18-200, except that I rarely need to go that long.

Thank goodness you didn't buy a store-recommended flash! Never ask photo gear salesman for a product recommendation unless you enjoy being punished. They will recommend you what makes them the most profit, or the stock they need to clear.

Skystrike, huatman,
Besides getting a DSLR camera, we have also thought of getting the Panasonic Lumix GF4 (we do like GF1 but felt that the image quality isn't as good as we would have liked). So would GF4's image quality be comparable to a DSLR (say, 70D) now?

Also, what flash would be recommended for a GF4? Previously, we went Alan Photos and Cathay Photos to look for flash for our GF1 but weren't given any recommendation. :(

Wavesurfer. What lens or lenses you have been using on your GF1?