Canon 60D - SD Memory Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that there are possibilities that you are using FAKE unoriginal Sandisk memory card

I'm using Sandisk Ultra 16GB with my 1D Mark IV and 60D,
never have any problems with burst shooting 10fps and movie

Where you bought it, is it a good reputation known store ?

I got the SD card from a shop in Funan where I often buy things for office use and the shop has been around for years with good services...so I do not think they will carry pirated stuffs.

Both the SanDisk Class 4 cards came in sealed packaging and both them are having the same problem in recording. Do not know what is wrong....and many people are facing the same issues with their 60D.

any ideas why my movie recording stops automatically at 10 seconds, i am using Sandisk class4 8GB blue color card. its very weird.

i only setup on the menu AF w/shutter during movie mode to enabled.

I am having the same issue....will see the memory buffer meter appearing and recording stop after 10+ secs of shooting...there are a few CSers having the same issue but some seem to be fine.

No lucky with the recording after formatting the cards...recording still auto stop at 10secs :cry:

There are some 60D users having the same problem and some no issue...I am really puzzled! So must get the Class 6 or Class 10 cards huh...:dunno:

Ok...the latest discovery....I have managed to record video with my old SD cards...

SanDisk Ultra II, 1 GB (No class indication)
Kingston Class 6 8GB

The new SD cards that are not working:
SanDisk Standard Class 4, Blue card
SanDisk Ultra Class 4, 16GB

Any difference among the cards?

I got the SD card from a shop in Funan where I often buy things for office use and the shop has been around for years with good services...so I do not think they will carry pirated stuffs.

Both the SanDisk Class 4 cards came in sealed packaging and both them are having the same problem in recording. Do not know what is wrong....and many people are facing the same issues with their 60D.

I don't have to lie to you,

here's, take a look at it, already 2 minute and still going,

web2.jpg

web1.jpg

what's the problem ? Is it your card probably fake ? How can you be so sure ?

If you think the store is not cheating, how about, the store didn't know that they got a fake ?

Or, another probability,
your card probably in the bad batch production line,
somehow Sandisk change some materials in your batch production line, lol :bsmilie:

You want me to try to buy another Ultra 16GB and show you the results ? :bsmilie:

Here's the 6 minutes for you to convince :bsmilie:

web3.jpg

I don't have to lie to you,

here's, take a look at it, already 2 minute and still going,

web2.jpg

web1.jpg

what's the problem ? Is it your card probably fake ? How can you be so sure ?

If you think the store is not cheating, how about, the store didn't know that they got a fake ?

Or, another probability,
your card probably in the bad batch production line,
somehow Sandisk change some materials in your batch production line, lol :bsmilie:

You want me to try to buy another Ultra 16GB and show you the results ? :bsmilie:

Thanks for the experiment... I will go and check with SanDisk to see if I can make a change.:)

Just in case you guys haven't read my post at the 60D owner's thread, I shared some related info there-
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6605514&postcount=270
:)

Related but not answering his question

He is using the same sandisk ultra, me also using the same sandisk ultra,
Probably different in size and manufacturing date (batch)

So, what happen to his cards, why it can not perform like others, lol :bsmilie:

Guess which card is incompatible with 60d video ?
IMG_0001.jpg

Related but not answering his question

He is using the same sandisk ultra, me also using the same sandisk ultra,
Probably different in size and manufacturing date (batch)

So, what happen to his cards, why it can not perform like others, lol :bsmilie:

->From your photos posted, I can make out that on your card it is labelled 15MB/s? If his card also has that same label than I would say for sure something wrong with his card.<-
(this part no longer valid cos found on Sandisk site that the 15MB/s is for read speed only.)

Because 60D video requirement is just 5.5MB/s, and although the rating of Class 4 guarantees minimum only 4MB/s, some cards can do much better, just like yours. That's why the purpose of my post at the other thread is to share my revelation that the more important thing to look out for is the minimum sustained write speed promised by the manufacturer, especially if buying Class 4 cards. For Class 6, since the rating itself imposes that it must support 6MB/s (which is already higher than 60D's 5.5MB/s requirement), not so critical to check on the guaranteed data rate (unless with some brands that over-rate it as a gimmick).

You mentioned his card is different size from yours, which seems very weird to me cos aren't all SD cards the same size? But I suspect since there's some physical appearance differences between the cards both of you are using, they might be different versions with different spec as Class 4 alone is not a clear indication how fast a card can go. ->Yours can surely go 15MB/s as written on the label, but does his card have the same label? If yes, I would strongly suggest he exercise the warranty.<-(this part no longer valid cos found on Sandisk site that the 15MB/s is for read speed only.)

Here is my Lexar card, also Class 4 but labeled at 9MB/s minimum sustained write speed -
IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

No problem with recording full HD on the 60D too.

Last edited:
Guess which card is incompatible with 60d video ?

Seems all Class 4 cards there in your pic.... hard to tell unless I can eliminate those compatible ones by reading the label / the box details. As I mentioned in my other posts on this issue, I will look for the "minimum sustained write speed" promised by the manufacturer when choosing Class 4 cards for 60D. Else it's just a tikam game if really have to buy Class 4 cards without this added info.

:dunno:

Last edited:
From your photos posted, I can make out that on your card it is labelled 15MB/s? If his card also has that same label than I would say for sure something wrong with his card. Because 60D video requirement is just 5.5MB/s, and although the rating of Class 4 guarantees minimum only 4MB/s, some cards can do much better, just like yours. That's why the purpose of my post at the other thread is to share my revelation that the more important thing to look out for is the minimum sustained write speed promised by the manufacturer, especially if buying Class 4 cards. For Class 6, since the rating itself imposes that it must support 6MB/s (which is already higher than 60D's 5.5MB/s requirement), not so critical to check on the guaranteed data rate (unless with some brands that over-rate it as a gimmick).

You mentioned his card is different size from yours, which seems very weird to me cos aren't all SD cards the same size? But I suspect since there's some physical appearance differences between the cards both of you are using, they might be different versions with different spec as Class 4 alone is not a clear indication how fast a card can go. Yours can surely go 15MB/s as written on the label, but does his card have the same label? If yes, I would strongly suggest he exercise the warranty.

Here is my Lexar card, also Class 4 but labeled at 9MB/s minimum sustained write speed -

No problem with recording full HD on the 60D too.

I mean CAPACITY, dunno his cards, I use 16GB but I don't think it is matters

Don't forget Sandisk change their product name, from ULTRA, ULTRA 2

and

only ULTRA

I use the new ULTRA, is it different or not ? Dunno

Extreme II, Extreme III, Extreme IV, now it is Extreme and Extreme Pro or something, I don't know

Just went to Sandisk site and found something interesting about the 15MB/s label on the card. Apparently it is the read speed, not the write speed (scroll down to bottom of page to read the fine print)-
http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

I guess it's part of gimmicky marketing strategies to confuse consumers.
:sticktong

I mean CAPACITY, dunno his cards, I use 16GB but I don't think it is matters

Don't forget Sandisk change their product name, from ULTRA, ULTRA 2

and

only ULTRA

I use the new ULTRA, is it different or not ? Dunno

Extreme II, Extreme III, Extreme IV, now it is Extreme and Extreme Pro or something, I don't know

Different capacity cards might have some performance differences although same series.
That's why detailed testing shows much variation in performance like those reported here.
So if the card/packaging don't indicate anything else other than the class number, then for Class 4 there's no way to claim warranty if cannot work with 60D video. But if it works, then lucky for the owner lor....:bsmilie:

For class 6, if cannot work with 60D video, then die die have to claim warranty becos Class 6 means >= 6MB/s write speed which is enough for 60Ds 5.5MB/s video recording.
:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi guys...

Just wanna share with everyone of what I have found out from the technician at SanDisk when I visit them to check on my SD cards. Anyway I have top-up for the Extreme HD Video Class 6 Card...8GB and 16GB

During the conversation with the technician, he said that the SanDisk Class 4 cards (Standard or Ultra)available right now are made with the recent 3rd generation chipset. SanDisk has basically remove the capability of DSLR HD video recording on their Class 4 cards and push the job of HD video recording to their new range of Extreme HD video Class 6 SD cards. So for the CSers who claimed that their Ultra cards are recording well will probably have the 2nd Generation chipset. Basically SanDisk is extending the Class range to make people spend more, just like how Canon reposition their xxxD, xxD, xD series....

SanDisk Class 4 is still able to record video on compact cams and family camcorder. Semi-Pro and Pro series will need to get the Extreme products.

So maybe the Class 4 SD cards of other brands will be a cheaper option for video recording.

It is BBB virus....

Hi guys...

Just wanna share with everyone of what I have found out from the technician at SanDisk when I visit them to check on my SD cards. Anyway I have top-up for the Extreme HD Video Class 6 Card...8GB and 16GB

During the conversation with the technician, he said that the SanDisk Class 4 cards (Standard or Ultra)available right now are made with the recent 3rd generation chipset. SanDisk has basically remove the capability of DSLR HD video recording on their Class 4 cards and push the job of HD video recording to their new range of Extreme HD video Class 6 SD cards. So for the CSers who claimed that their Ultra cards are recording well will probably have the 2nd Generation chipset. Basically SanDisk is extending the Class range to make people spend more, just like how Canon reposition their xxxD, xxD, xD series....

SanDisk Class 4 is still able to record video on compact cams and family camcorder. Semi-Pro and Pro series will need to get the Extreme products.

So maybe the Class 4 SD cards of other brands will be a cheaper option for video recording.

It is BBB virus....

I see... that gives them a bad name actually. No wonder I've come across Sandisk-haters on the web.

I don't quite agree it is exactly the same as Canon's repositioning of their camera though. I mean, when Canon comes out with a new cam like the 60D, do they make subsequent batches of their other cameras (eg. 550D) have worse IQ so that people spend more to buy the 60D? Whereas Sandisk intentionally modifies an existing product to perform worse than before without changing it's product name. That's a really low class (pun intended) dirty trick. Imagine if I had bought their card 6 months ago, used it and found it to be good, then now go back to buy the same card packaged exactly the same way ..... :nono:

Well, I guess I will never consider buying any Sandisk product ever. :thumbsd:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing ,so this is what happened ,lucky i brought mine earlier ,i think i have gen 1 & 2 cards .Happy with the present cards .

But no more sandisk in future ,makes no sense to degrade the card and brand name ,very stupid.

IMG_0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.