canon 5DmkII vs nikon D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say go for D700.

firstly, the 5D2 isn't proven. (unless you want to be Canon's beta testers )

Secondly, Nikon's 24-70/2.8 is simply better. Also, 5D2 sensor will be pushing the 24-105/4 IS to it's limits, this can be deduced from those using 1Ds3 with 24-105. mabbe you wan to search the web for it.

I agree with this comment.
I have just changed from my Canon 24-70 to the nikon and it was worth every cent.

no lah. The AF module for the 5D mark2 is IDENTICAL to 5D. only firmware changes I think. So nothing will go wrong. it is just 5D speed lor. maybe a little faster.

This can pretty much be said about the 1d mark 2 and the 1d mark 3.
Still, the 1d mark 3 has problems and the mark 2 doesnt.

This can pretty much be said about the 1d mark 2 and the 1d mark 3.
Still, the 1d mark 3 has problems and the mark 2 doesnt.

According to DPReview, the 1DIII's AF module is modified - it is not the same as the one found in earlier 1D models.

[url%

Last edited:
Answering TS question. D700!

I am looking to get either one of these two camera...

I shoot mainly on tours and probably my new 1month old baby girl.

since they are going to cost at least 5k including lens, I am having a hard time deciding which to get.

Options
1) Canon 5DmkII. + 24-105mm f4. Cost maybe $5k?
Pros:

Better Image quality. I have compared the high ISO samples of 1dsMkIII with the D700 and it seems that they are about equal if u downsample the 21meg pic to 12meg. And the 1DsMkIII offers better quality at low ISO. And canon is saying the 5DmkII will be significantly better than the idsMkII in IQ. wow.

No lens change. Huge plus on convenience. a good and light lens with IS. 24-105mm f4. GREAT LENS

Video recording. Minor plus. I already have a canon HF10 which will probably record much better video.

2) Nikon D700 + 105mm VR + AFS 50mm f1.4 + WA?? (sigma 24mm?) Probably cost $6k.
Pros:

Better AF. The AF seems to be much better. But I am more concerned with accuracy rather than fast tracking, etc. People seems to say nikon's AF is more accurate than canon's. Is that true?

More versatility with f1.4, macro, VR, etc. but tedious to go on travel.

any other pros that I am not aware of?

I guess I will have until end Oct to decide when the canon5DmkII is released...

My personal take... The 5D... best, get 2nd hand from this forum and they are comparable in terms of picture quality with D700 *Comparable doesn't means better or equal*. Get a 2nd hand 24-105L....... swee swee.... I think entire package less than 3.5K there is quite a few offers in the forum liao

I will selct 5DII + Leica R 35-70/2.8 , no one can beat its image and video quality. (even the zeiss 24-70/2.8 ZA)

tsk tsk..must be an insider joke of yours.

Maybe you can explain that the 24-70 2.8 R is a collectors' item with less than 1000 known to exist...;p

Status
Not open for further replies.