Canon 550D

Hi there

Ishida at Lucky plaza is really good. Look for Mr Cheow!

Cheers

NO SHOP at Lucky Plaza is good. You will get cheated by overpriced "conversion" lenses, filters and rubbisg third-party batteries.

NO SHOP at Lucky Plaza is good. You will get cheated by overpriced "conversion" lenses, filters and rubbisg third-party batteries.

somehow, i agree to this. the shops there are catered for tourists. LOL. so as to mark up their prices and chop the tourists carrot head. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

haha thats funny

somehow, i agree to this. the shops there are catered for tourists. LOL. so as to mark up their prices and chop the tourists carrot head. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

No point taking the risk to save a few bucks. Get from MS Colours, Cathay Photo, SLRR, all these stores are reputable stores and can buy with peace of mind and don't have to worry this missing, that missing, or if the items are used or not, or whether the serials match with warranty etc etc, all the funny things that can happen.

Rather spend a little more for a peace of mind :)

hey all,

today i was at sim lim, checking the price of sigma 17-70mm lens. after getting quoted, bally photo tried hard sell me their steinser conversion lens. they show me how they put it onto the 18-55mm lens of a canon dslr, and then say it can do macro + wide angle.

anyway im not very sure why many say conversion lens is not good. mind sharing why?

Hey! I go to iPhoto (formerly Lords). They're good.

But I guess you are just providing a general opinion of most stores there, which I cannot deny.

today i was at sim lim, checking the price of sigma 17-70mm lens. after getting quoted, bally photo tried hard sell me their steinser conversion lens. they show me how they put it onto the 18-55mm lens of a canon dslr, and then say it can do macro + wide angle.
anyway im not very sure why many say conversion lens is not good. mind sharing why?
Crap alert! Hands off! Be careful with Sim Lim. Only Orient Photo, 6th floor, is recommended.
These conversion lens are utterly crap. Image quality sucks and the price even more. There are a few threads here about these 'converters', not a single posting about acceptable quality, all posted images show low quality. These so-called sales men at Bally&Co. have never really learned what macro means. And 18mm on the kit lens is already a decent wide angle. If you need something wider (and I guess you want something with a decent image quality) then get an Ultra Wide Angle Lens. But it won't come cheap, though.
Steinzeiser and Vitacon are some Singapore brands for 3rd party products of unknown origin, quality-wise far below any reputable brand that we recommend here. Steinzeiser may sound like German but nobody over there in Europe has ever seen this stuff.

if it's not lord's reincarnation... then you better be careful.

i would rather deal with reputable shops.

Bro Lord's went out of business already. They are reincarnated though, as iPhoto.

hey all,

Did you buy the conversion lens?

If you did, I have to say: "Sorry for your loss... "

haha nah i did not. i read about cs-ers saying that its not good but no specific reasoning. so anyway there's some doubt when bally photo keep hardsell to me.

mind sharing whats with theconversion lens?

haha nah i did not. i read about cs-ers saying that its not good but no specific reasoning. so anyway there's some doubt when bally photo keep hardsell to me.

To shoot macro, nothing beats a macro lens.

To shoot wide angle, nothing beats a wide angle or ultra wide angle lens.

Those lenses are designed to do the work they are designed for. By adding a conversion lens, you are forcing a lens to react in a different way, using other external lens elements. Do you think this method will be the most efficient way to do things? And these conversions lenses, do they use the best optical glass? Are they made in the best conditions? Are they even designed correctly?

Hmmmm... lots to ponder. :think:

I have a spoon free: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477934&highlight=wide+angle+adapter
Search terms are highlighted for your reference, the Search function is upper right hand. The thread is even made sticky.

Hi,

Newbies reporting, thanks to the wealth of information in this forum, I have managed to narrowed down that Canon EOS550D meets my needs and stays within my budget. :)

Went to a shop to check out the current price and was offerred S$1,600(includes GST) for the EOS 550D kit II - 18-135mmIS len with free 8gb SD card and EOS bag.

Is this a good deal currently?

Cheers:)

hi,S$1600???

in few retailer shop is S$1799 for kit II. where u got this good deal?

thanks for the info, but i just check with "COURx" just now, the price of kit II is S$1799.
do not understand that the price stated in ur list is quite lower than "COURx"
Did you notice these abbreviations of OP, AP, CP etc. but no 'Courts'? That has a simple reason: the prices in the list are not from Courts but from other shops. Abbreviations and addresses can be found in the first posting.