Canon 50D or Nikon D90

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first place, I believe it's not a fair comparison already. 50D is a mid-range system while D90 is an entry-level one. You can tell which one is better by just looking at the prices alone. ;)

In the first place, I believe it's not a fair comparison already. 50D is a mid-range system while D90 is an entry-level one. You can tell which one is better by just looking at the prices alone. ;)

when did d90 become an entry-lvl cam ?
so it means d40/d60 is pro-consumer lvl already ?

The SRP of the 17-55 2.8IS cost nearly as much as a 40D now.... plus it is EF-S mount and cannot be used on a FF camera.. is it really worth it? :think:

To me, it worths every bit of it if one intends to stay with crop cam for a while. True that the price is steep for the 17-55f2.8. But the IQ is really good. Plus it is constant f2.8 with IS. :)

Hi,
I tested the Nikon D90 high ISO and IMHO, it's doesn't seem to be as good as Canon 450D at high ISO, but built and feel is a lots better than Canon 450D. I don't think getting the D40/D60 is a good idea as the range of AF-S lens are still quite limited and most are quite expensive compare to AF lens.

IMHO:
1) If you have limited budget, get the Canon 450D as Canon lens got more range to choose from.
2) If you want better built and can afford to spend a bit more, get the Canon 40D.
3) If you have more budget, get the Canon 50D/Nikon D300.
4) If you prefer a Nikon, get at least a Nikon D90.

Just my S$0.02.

Happy shopping and have a nice day.

The SRP of the 17-55 2.8IS cost nearly as much as a 40D now.... plus it is EF-S mount and cannot be used on a FF camera.. is it really worth it? :think:

The TS is buying a 50D which is a 1.6x crop camera so the lens is perfect for it. The price might be high, but the constant f2.8, IS and high image quality speaks for itself.

When I was buying my first DSLR, i only thought of the lens i was going to use with it, not the lens i was going to possibly use with my possible second DSLR (which might or might be full frame) in the future. The TS didn't mention anything about whether he's intending to upgrade to full frame in the next 6 months or so. If he is, then he's better off with a 17-40 f4L (which incidentally, IMHO, is not as sharp, and the image quality is not as good as the 17-55 even though it is a L lens).

For budget shooter, I think it's good to go for D90. As the kit Lens is 18-105 VR.
So it actually covers a pretty good range. Maybe just add a 50mm prime lens for portrait shots.
So pricewise is quite affordable too.

Whereas for 50D, if you take the 18-55 kit. The range is actually pretty short.
If you take the 17-85, many said the image sharper & clarity not good.

So it depends a lot on your budget & which system feels more comfortable in your hands.
Happy shooting when you made up ur mind. ;)

How abt the 18-200 lens...?

Hi actully is up to yourself some people like Nikon others like Canon and is not which one the best.
Is the one who stand behind the camera how creative he is so is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.